It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do many Europeans overwhelmingly prefer Obama?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com...

“The world is waiting to love America again.” That is a quote from a recent editorial in a British newspaper, and many Europeans are hoping Barack Obama will provide them with just that chance. When Obama travels to Europe later this week, it’s expected he’ll be treated like a rock star – mobbed by cheering fans in Berlin, Paris and London. A recent poll from England found 70% of Italians, 67% of Germans, 65% of the French and 49% of Britons would vote for Obama. Compare that to Republican John McCain, who gets support from 15% of Italians, 6% of Germans, 8% of the French and 14% in Britain.

What can I say? Obama WILL make America safer, simply because we will be less hated.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com...

“The world is waiting to love America again.” That is a quote from a recent editorial in a British newspaper, and many Europeans are hoping Barack Obama will provide them with just that chance. When Obama travels to Europe later this week, it’s expected he’ll be treated like a rock star – mobbed by cheering fans in Berlin, Paris and London. A recent poll from England found 70% of Italians, 67% of Germans, 65% of the French and 49% of Britons would vote for Obama. Compare that to Republican John McCain, who gets support from 15% of Italians, 6% of Germans, 8% of the French and 14% in Britain.

Something to think about...People are tired with "Fake Jobs" who have no education and become presidents, just because they can be bribed by Corporates for Favors.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by ruse45]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I watched the Obama and Clinton campaign. She came over as self serving, devious and at times a down right liar. One the other hand Obama had to contend with lots of negative remarks from the Clinton supporters and always seemed to be the good guy. As for McCain. well I think it's too late for him, he should have won the last time around. So in my humble opinion, as a Brit, I would hope that Obama gets elected.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I just got this email this morning. I thought it was funny. But its for McCain

Subject: E-mail from Ireland

An email from Ireland to all of their brethren in the States. A point to ponder despite your political affiliation:

We, in Ireland , can't figure out why you people are even bothering to hold an election in the United States ..

On one side, you had a pants wearing female lawyer, married to another lawyer who can't seem to keep his pants on, who just lost a long and heated primary against a lawyer, who goes to the wrong church, who is married to yet another lawyer, who doesn't even like the country her husband wants to run!

Now...On the other side, you have a nice old war hero whose name starts with the appropriate 'Mc' terminology, married to a good looking younger woman who owns a beer distributorship!

What in God's name are ya lads thinkin over in the colonies !

I'm not a McCain or Obama fan..Just thought it was funny

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They loved Clinton, actually they loved making fun of him.
They hate Bush because they know he is tough.
They love Obama because they know America will be weak once again.
Can you see the pattern here?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ruse45

Ruse, I agree entirely.

By the way, you should probably fix the quote block in your post, as it looks like what you are saying is actually a quote of someone in the post you are referring to.

Thanks for the contribution to the thread

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
That is funny, isa.

To the OP, I think many people in the US feel pretty beat up. The past 8 years have been like living in a domestic abuse situation. When you get out of that, someone who treats you right is going to look REAL good and all your friends are going to be happy for you.

Europeans are pretty smart. They're seeing things from a different perspective. They've seen what we've been through (wondered how we could have voted as we apparently did in 2004) and how nasty and bullying we've been with Bush at the wheel. They're happy to see someone else that will possibly take care of the country the way it needs and deserves.

That's my take, anyway.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien life uk
I watched the Obama and Clinton campaign. She came over as self serving, devious and at times a down right liar. One the other hand Obama had to contend with lots of negative remarks from the Clinton supporters and always seemed to be the good guy. As for McCain. well I think it's too late for him, he should have won the last time around. So in my humble opinion, as a Brit, I would hope that Obama gets elected.

Many thanks for the contribution Alien Life.

I believe McCain got shafted by his party in 2004 as well. Even though, I am voting Obama this year, I have a lot of respect and admiration for how both of the candidates are handling themselves this year. McCain has rebuked many of the Ultra Conservatives (read: lunatic fringe) in his party and many of the "Demonizing" tactics used in the past. When I saw him rebuke Bill Cunningham, I began to believe that we would have a rational campaign season. The way the two camps are reacting to each other currently I still believe this is the case. Even though there is rather venomous political attacks often found on this forum.

I firmly believe that McCain is P***** Off at some areas of his party for what happened in 2004, and has decided to cut the power, that they used to have, off at the legs so that more moderate motives can hold sway over the party.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by isa75
I just got this email this morning. I thought it was funny. But its for McCain

Subject: E-mail from Ireland

An email from Ireland to all of their brethren in the States. A point to ponder despite your political affiliation:

We, in Ireland , can't figure out why you people are even bothering to hold an election in the United States ..

On one side, you had a pants wearing female lawyer, married to another lawyer who can't seem to keep his pants on, who just lost a long and heated primary against a lawyer, who goes to the wrong church, who is married to yet another lawyer, who doesn't even like the country her husband wants to run!

Now...On the other side, you have a nice old war hero whose name starts with the appropriate 'Mc' terminology, married to a good looking younger woman who owns a beer distributorship!

What in God's name are ya lads thinkin over in the colonies !

I'm not a McCain or Obama fan..Just thought it was funny

It's obvious from the paragraph using the words "starts with the appropriate 'Mc' terminology'" that this email is NOT from Ireland.

Mac and Mc (which is a mistranslated version of Nic) are Scottish, not Irish.

Sounds like a very culturally uneducated and unsuccessful attempt at humor. Although I will grant you, that it would have been funny had they had the cultural understanding to title it Letter from Scotland.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
They loved Clinton, actually they loved making fun of him.
They hate Bush because they know he is tough.
They love Obama because they know America will be weak once again.
Can you see the pattern here?

No I don't. I'll tell you why.

1. You state "they hate Bush because they know he is tough". Doesn't make much sense. You see, in the United States, and abroad, we collectively hate crime, and thusly we hate criminals, so if "they hate Bush", it is because they view him as a criminal.

2. You state that "they love Obama because they know America will be weak once again". When in reality, those who are supporting Obama strongly believe that he, through us, will bring a fresh rectitude not only to the Democratic Party, not only to the Oval Office and United States Government, but also to the world. Yep, we are that idealistic. Along with this new moral direction, will come the security and safety of not only America, but the entire world. As I said... We are that crazy.

3. Finally you pose the interrogative, "Can you see the pattern here?". Which is where you complete your total misunderstanding as to why we support Obama. You see, Obama isn't anywhere near anything we have seen in "the pattern" of Presidents of recent memory.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
That is funny, isa.

To the OP, I think many people in the US feel pretty beat up. The past 8 years have been like living in a domestic abuse situation. When you get out of that, someone who treats you right is going to look REAL good and all your friends are going to be happy for you.

Europeans are pretty smart. They're seeing things from a different perspective. They've seen what we've been through (wondered how we could have voted as we apparently did in 2004) and how nasty and bullying we've been with Bush at the wheel. They're happy to see someone else that will possibly take care of the country the way it needs and deserves.

That's my take, anyway.

You put it so eloquently. We have been in an abusive relationship.

Thanks for the contribution!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Looks like Obama is loved

The world Over!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'm European and I cannot stand Obama. He is extremely naive and is modelling himself on Tony Blair and how he charmed conservatives into supporting his party. Democrats are studying the New Labour election machine in the United Kingdom from pre-1997 - Gordon Brown confessed that Democrats are already studying the policies of the governing party in the UK.

I don't understand Obama's self-gratification ego trip to Europe - none of us can vote in the US general election so it is a waste of time.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
How exactly will Obama make us safer?

Pulling our troops out? Meeting with radical leaders? Taking our nuclear deterrents off the table?

Yeah, that'll make us safer. Especially since the whole world will just love us so much.

And maybe instead of investing in our missile defense program, he can use all that extra money he'll get from taxing us to oblivion to set up some sort of program to send kisses and rainbows around the world!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
How exactly will Obama make us safer?

Pulling our troops out? Meeting with radical leaders?

Well this all might sound too complicated for a simplistic mind... Politics (real politics, not the stoopid swaggering cowboy kind) can be a subtle business, and when properly practiced, can indeed make us safer.

And maybe instead of investing in our missile defense program, he can use all that extra money he'll get from taxing us to oblivion to set up some sort of program to send kisses and rainbows around the world!

Well let's see, the village idiot GWB got us into debt up to you know where with little to show for it. If he spend all these trillions on kisses and roses, this could have been a money better spent.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Politics (real politics, not the stoopid swaggering cowboy kind) can be a subtle business, and when properly practiced, can indeed make us safer.

And when improperly practiced, (such as Obama would do), can leave us open and vulnerable to attack and defeat.

You also neglected to comment on the other point I made about him pulling our nuclear deterrents. How would that make us safer if our enemies knew we would not retaliate fiercely?

If he spend all these trillions on kisses and roses, this could have been a money better spent.

My heart goes out to you.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

BuddhaSystem, Thanks for the contributiions.

Yeah, it's funny how little some folks understand about politics. It is a very complex game which involves a lot more than "Saber rattling" or "Gun totin'"

When our neighbors like us, we are safer. When we engage all parties to seek mutual benefits, we are safer. When we walk around like a bully, then we simply have that many more enemies.

Thanks again for your contribution.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Yeah, it's funny how little some folks understand about politics

It is funny isn't it?

It's also quite scary.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It's not just the States that want change, the world is ready for it as well and Obama gives the perception of change.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

The same reason that pro players like certain coaches. Europe will be able to roll over Obama something they could not do to Bush.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join