It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantánamo children

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

Theres a reason why they call them infantry.
Also you can think of child soldiers as well if you like. Never seen a child with an AK, just ask for a pic.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You're right people can't be absolved of their actions simply because of their age. I know, I went to juvi many times when I was a young kid for some seriously dumb stuff.

That said, the circumstances of their capture is important, because it imposes consequences(in this case torture), on teens who may not even know why they are there. They are doing this to adults too.

Here in America we jail innocent people all the time. There are many, many, many news stories and documentaries on this subject. To assume this didn't happen in Iraq and Afghanistan is absurd, the added chaos of war, I imagine, would certainly hamper already flawed methods employed. Like paying people to rat anyone out for being a "terrorist" whether or not is true, is no justification for torture. Calling someone a terrorist doesn't make them such, just like calling a teen an adult doesn't make it true.

I may be getting the wrong impression from you, but it seems like you're trying to say that they deserve to be tortured because they are of age to be held to account, and that they have already been found to be guilty of some crime, I hope that I am mistaken in my assessment.

Torture is not a way for the US to conduct itself. Innocent until proven guilty is the reason our justice system works. It isn't the other way around.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde

14 year olds are a threat to National security now? Someone who wouldn't even be able to vote or smoke if they were an American citizen can be held without trial or any regard for human rights because they were praying in a Mosque?

This is not freedom. This is disgusting.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Who was arrested for praying in a Mosque? I believe he was arrested "while" praying. Prayer was not the crime. I dont condone torture but that article was rather short and there are no sources. Kids are used by the enemy as suicide bombers and they join the military quite young in other countries. They are combatants.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join