It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain gets $1,930 a month from 'broken' Social Security system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz
I just dont get why ppl think he is not entitled to this???? Blows my mind?

NOVEMBER 14, 1934. FDR: Address to SS advisory council

There is no tragedy in growing old, but there is tragedy in growing old without means of support.

AUGUST 14,1935 FDR Statement at signing of SS Act

[]
We can never insure one hundred percent of the population against one hundred percent of the hazards and vicissitudes of life, but we have tried to frame a law which will give some measure of protection to the average citizen and to his family against the loss of a job and against poverty-ridden old age.
[]
It will act as a protection to future Administrations against the necessity of going deeply into debt to furnish relief to the needy.

www.ssa.gov...

Virtuous world leaders should take and use only what they NEED.

NOT whatever cash the public coffers ENTITLES them to.

To deny unnecessary gifts is basic code of restraint for the higher minded.

I would consider a 20k check, each year from uncle sam, a pretty unpatriotic thing to cash if you're family is worth better than 99.9% of your countrymen and you are well aware that the liquidity of the system, which many depend upon, is spiralling out of control.

JFK: And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

wikipedia: GREED
en.wikipedia.org...

Greed is the selfish desire for or pursuit of money, wealth, power, food, or other possessions, especially when this denies the same goods to others.

aparigraha,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

The system that wasnt intended to be a retirement account?

Please.

Its social security. It should be reformed back to its original intent.

McCain needs his social security like i need a finger growing out of my eyeball.

If it'd have been flipped, and Obama was a bit older, and drawing social security - you'd be all over him about it.

Double Standards

you wear them proudly.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
IF I was him, IF I wanted to show the American public that I am concerned about not only the welfare of the government debt but to the plight of those less fortunate. IF I had the resource the McCain family has you can bet that the smart move would be to show that I had no need for SSI benefits as my wealth/assets were more then enough to meet my families daily/monthly and yearly needs.

Just maybe, he doesn't care that you think it's some grand theft that the federal government is paying him around 20 thousand a year?

SSI benefits should be to assist the 90% of the population that really need that money to survive in retirement, not to just withdraw it "just because" just because he is over 65, just because he "paid into the system", just because is not good enough anymore.

And maybe, no one else cares what you think SSI benefits "should" be? We're stuck with FDR's idiotic forced retirement system. McCain paid into this system his whole life, and now it's his entitlement to have it. 20 thousand a year. Not so big.

That is what is wrong with this country everyone goes along with it "just because" just because what??????????????????

That one rich person is getting the money he paid into and was promised for nearly 65 years? Do you think you used enough question marks there???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Because you don't sound enough like a child.

He is a multi-millionaire and he should withdraw benefits just because and some poor lady has to go without food for a week just because her benefits are not enough to meet her monthly needs.

Maybe the 20 thousand a year he paid into his entire life, that is his, has nothing to do with some lady who can't manage money?

FU people that think this is "his right", it's poor moral and ethical character, when he admits the system is broken and people are suffering (not him) and yet he does not care enough to say I will make the first step in change..

I don't think the mods would like you violating the T&C by swearing at me because I think McCain is entitled to his own money, or that giving 20k a year back to the government won't do a thing to help any suffering.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well, I'm pretty sure if you checked his taxes; he might be paying it back anyway. Besides, he still works, was a POW and a veteran.

If anyone should complain; it should be the Vietnam Vets that were on the ground who've been screwed and any other soldiers since then. The way they've treated these people is or should be criminal.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I may be wrong and I will check it out, but I believe military personnel and members of the house and senate pay no social security taxes, but yet are allowed to access the system based only upon their lifetime wages. So most likely, McCain paid very little into the system in his lifetime.

I checked it out and i am wrong.

Prior to 1984, neither Members of Congress nor any other federal civil service employee paid Social Security taxes. Of course, the were also not eligible to receive Social Security benefits. Members of Congress and other federal employees were instead covered by a separate pension plan called the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). The 1983 amendments to the Social Security Act required federal employees first hired after 1983 to participate in Social Security. These amendments also required all Members of Congress to participate in Social Security as of January 1, 1984, regardless of when they first entered Congress. Because the CSRS was not designed to coordinate with Social Security, Congress directed the development of a new retirement plan for federal workers. The result was the Federal Employees' Retirement System Act of 1986.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by disgustedbyhumanity]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
You pay FICA in the military too.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

If Obama were old enough and receiving Social Security, I certainly would not be 'all over him for it'. He has also paid in thousands upon thousands of dollars into the system and yes, that's his money, just as it is McCain's.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

If Obama were old enough and receiving Social Security, I certainly would not be 'all over him for it'. He has also paid in thousands upon thousands of dollars into the system and yes, that's his money, just as it is McCain's.

Okay - fair enough

My apologies. I guess im coming from a different angle. I look at social security as a means of retirement for people who have nothing else....

that is of course my opinion. i'd be angry if obama took advantage of it - for no other reason that SS was never intended for its current use....but politicians have made it so over time.

Makes me mad

But i guess ill have to deal w/ it.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Yes. I would be embarrassed to take SS if I were worth as much.
Damn, this takes the cake for the sense of being "entitled" to something. Is there no shame?

Pretty soon the rich will think they're entitled to tax cuts. Pretty soon Washington will be awash with contractors thinking they're entitled to tax dollars in an increasingly privatized "government". Pretty soon the average person will make excuses for the rich when they plunder, and will cheerlead the loudest with cries of "class warfare" when told to shout it by the wealthy.
Sigh...we don't need a polar shift to turn the world upside down.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It doesn't matter how much money he's making or what he's worth. This is America and you can earn as much money as you want and you are not obligated to turn money away once you have so much.

Well that's exactly the problem with this country. People can't get enough fast food and they can't get enough money. McCain has no business collecting social security checks and neither does Obama (when he turns 65). The problem in this country is there's not enough people saying "I want to learn and teach as much as I can before I die." Instead it's "I'm entitled to earn as much money as I want before I die."

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

That one rich person is getting the money he paid into and was promised for nearly 65 years? Do you think you used enough question marks there????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's not about one person (McCain). It's about rich people getting 20 thousand/year when they don't need it. There are many people who are paying into this system now (like me) who won't get beans when they turn 65...

The system is broke (because of the babyboomers) and one glaringly obvious way to fix it is for people to not receive checks who don't need them. What kind of person honestly worries about receiving $1900/month if they are worth millions????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The other alternative is to go to private accounts which people can't handle. They'll squander their money and then guess who gets to ends up taking care of them anyways.... yup taxpayers!

Look, people are already getting into their retirement early.........................

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The only reason the social security system is "broken" is because the idiots mismanaging this country are more afraid of the short term problem of getting re-elected than telling the American people the truth that the the long term solution to fixing it is one of taxes.

In short they are a bunch of spineless cowards.

Then there are the ideologues who want to privatize and/or destroy social security all together just so they can save some money in taxes or their cronies can milk the population for what they are worth.

In short they are a bunch of greedy a-holes.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by grover]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Then there are the ideologues who want to privatize and/or destroy social security all together just so they can save some money in taxes or their cronies can milk the population for what they are worth.
[edit on 22-7-2008 by grover]

Moooo!! Especially after the Iraq invasion, my udders have never been so sore!!
The Republicans in Washington who can only see issues as black and white certainly must see me as their cash cow....moooooo!....they fed me a check, but now it seems I just produced more milk to pay for higher fuel and food costs....moooo...ouch!
Yikes!! Here comes the pail for the bail outs! I gotta keep Farmer GOP from putting his hands on my tits again.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It is an entitlement program. If you paid into it, rich or poor, you are entitled to it. Otherwise it would be discrimination. I'm sure he is not the only one in this scenario. And just because his wife his rich doesn't mean he is. Many couples keep their finances apart. Furthermore, who's to say he doesn't use that money toward charitable causes.

Would you give your social security check back to the government knowing fully that our government is financially irresponsible?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join