It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4000 YEARS OLD Coils of Ancient Egyptian Rope found! THEY LOOK AS IF THEY WERE NEW

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Just found this news.

The ancient Egyptian's secret to making the strongest of all rigging ropes lies in a tangle of cord coils in a cave at the Red Sea coast, according to preliminary study results presented at the recent congress of Egyptologists in Rhodes.

SOURCE

The researchers are still puzzling over the material the ancient Egyptians used to make such a strong cordage.

Any ideas what the material of the ropes would be?
Hemp maybe?

BR
PPL

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
On the second page of your source, they are guessing it is made from a vegetable fiber, or reed. Reeds would be easier to braid and twist because of their length. Reed also keeps that color as opposed to turning light from a green stage like many palm baskets do. Twisting dried materials is less strong and more brittle than working with them while they are still green. I am shocked at how clean they look.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
There is a video in this link dsc.discovery.com...

As far as them being hemp. Yes. The tree of life.

Ancient Egyptian boat - hemp rope
The cedar timbers of its curved hull are lashed together with hemp rope in a technique used until recent times by traditional shipbuilders along the Red Sea, Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean.

The unexcavated boat, made from Lebanese cedar and Egyptian acacia trees, is thought to be of similar design, but smaller and less well preserved.
current.com...

You could start a whole thread on the ancient world dependency of Hemp right up to this century. They learned to make oil with it and that competes with fossil fuel. Big no no.

4,000-year-old shipyard unearthed in Egypt
Excavations at an ancient Egyptian shipyard have unearthed remains of the world's oldest seafaring ships.

The 4,000-year-old timbers were found alongside equally ancient cargo boxes, anchors, coils of rope and other naval materials just as old, at what archaeologists are calling a kind of ancient military administration site.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Amazing. Our concept of a technological civilization should be redifined. Whats cool too is how this proves that the earths waters were much higher then present times.

Edit to add. - Slightly off topic opinion
I believe that these ancients sailed to the americas and vice versa. They had all the capabilities and time to do it. The ancient americas and the ancient middle east/egypt hint at a global community. I will get flak for this but the ancient egyptians are the ones that spoke of atlantis which can only mean the ancient meso americas.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Howdy IvanZana

Amazing. Our concept of a technological civilization should be redifined. Whats cool too is how this proves that the earths waters were much higher then present times.

How does this prove that earth's waters were much higher in AE Egyptian times? The water level has been rising slowly since the end of the last ice age.

Adding additional information: The ancient Egyptians used flax linen for rope and line, whether these ropes are linen or another susbstance we'll soon see.

[edit on 21/7/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Howdy Hanslune, Isn't linen stronger when it is wet? Or was it the other way around? I took an ancient textiles course, but I can't remember anymore.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanZana

Ivan c'mon you know you just want to smoke it

seriously though, could the rope be made out of corn husk?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Outside my area of knowledge too

Rope can be made of any type of fiber the longer the stronger.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom

The cedar timbers of its curved hull are lashed together with hemp rope in a technique used until recent times by traditional shipbuilders along the Red Sea, Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean.

The link said it is made of hemp... ello, is this thing on?
current.com...
www.physorg.com...
www.kuwaittimes.net...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom

Ivan c'mon you know you just want to smoke it

Interesting marketing idea there.. "Smoke on a Rope"

But seriously, why are those ropes such an eggplant color?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

No... the Egyptians didn't have corn. That was a plant from the New World, so they couldn't have used it.

But seriously, why are those ropes such an eggplant color?

Has to do with the place where they were found -- minerals from the land and water seep into the materials and both preserve it and stain it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I thought i'de just post in here that you can't really smoke hemp. Theres nothing in it that will get you high. Just thought i'de clear that up for you folks making those lame comments.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If I understand properly there are two major types of hemp in use today, one for drugs the other for industrial use. The drug one has poor fibers and is high in THC and the other is very low in THC and has great fiber. Which one or which version (its probably changed over time as it was domesticated and evolved) the Egyptians or others might have used is not known.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Isn't it likely to be camel hair. As far as I can remember the Egyptians used camel fibers to make rope. And as for the longer the fiber the stronger; there are long haired camels too.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ths one threw me for a loop so to speak.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by encinoman
Isn't it likely to be camel hair. As far as I can remember the Egyptians used camel fibers to make rope. And as for the longer the fiber the stronger; there are long haired camels too.

Camels were domesticated in the Arabian peninsula about 1500 BC they may have arrived in Egypt somewhere been then and 750 BC. They may not have been in large use until after the Pharonic period.

[edit on 23/7/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by regulate
I thought i'de just post in here that you can't really smoke hemp. Theres nothing in it that will get you high. Just thought i'de clear that up for you folks making those lame comments.

ouch! well i wouldn't go as far as "lame" comments, maybe "ignorant" comments

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
If I understand properly there are two major types of hemp in use today, one for drugs the other for industrial use. The drug one has poor fibers and is high in THC and the other is very low in THC and has great fiber. Which one or which version (its probably changed over time as it was domesticated and evolved) the Egyptians or others might have used is not known.

Probably taking this thread wildly off track, or maybe not as theres a decent possibility that the material used was, in fact, hemp, I just thought I'd clarify something.

Industrial hemp products are made from the stems of the plant, whereas the cannabis which is enjoyed by hundreds of millions of people all around the world is mainly the flowering buds of the female cannabis plant. Industrial hemp has few or none of the chemicals needed for a euphoric 'stone.'

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ivanzana, in that picture of the Egyptian, Are they telling us that she was painting while she was stoned? Since the symbol is coming out of her head? Is that contemporary? Or from an ancient carving? I ask because I thought they didn't care much for the brain organ. Didn't value it in mummification.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I know what the rope is made out of Mcdonalds french fries they don't break down

new topics

top topics

join