It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Primary Reason Why Drugs Are Illegal?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
"2) The drug opens the mind of the population, and we can't have that--marijuana, psilocybin, '___', etc. Use of these types of drugs seems to go hand in hand with distrust of the government and deciding that mainstream culture is unacceptable"
Man that's sooo true.I can definetly agree, speaking from personal experiance.
But these are the ones that should be legal.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Has anybody seen their local meth-head wondering around a 7-11 parking lot?

have you seen a crack addicted prostitute?

Can you imagine how many more people would be like this if it were a government distributed drug system. I'm sure if the powers that be wanted a zombie like society that they could easily control they would just make this stuff legal.

Don't even bring POT into this argument. Not the same.

I never saw a anti-depressant user turning tricks so they can fill their next prescription

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have seen a rather interesting documentary series called "Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way" and I was rather surprised as to why many drugs became illegal. The documentary goes through the history and explains the legality at each step. I was rather surprised to learn that many drugs became illegal not for their effects, but rather for political reasons. For example, marijuana was originally used by Mexican workers and, upon the Great Depression's onset, the people's of the U.S. looked for a way to reduce the Mexican workforce in order to open up more jobs, and as such marijuana became illegal and was used to deport Mexican peoples back to Mexico. (Forgive me if these facts are not true, I am simply stating what I learned from the documentary series)

If you are interested, here is part 1 of the Marijuana episode. The other parts are a simple youtube search away, along with drugs other than marijuana.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
..... i didn bother to read all of this bull #

but the reasons really quite simple

alcohol in many ways can and is considered a drug
the reason it is legal is because they are able to tax the # out of it and make tonns of money for the government

think of how hard it is to make your own good alcohol

think of how easy it is to grow pot or to make other drugs with very little knowledge and a bit of training/know how

untill the government is able to tax all of the substances you can think off
they will remain illegal

don.watch.me

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Drugs make people see things that aren't there. Like the truth on this site.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Briles
Me & my friends were discussing what the main reason is as to why drugs are illegal. Here were some of the ideas:

1) They can make a person un-predictable.

2) They are addictive and therefore people will commit other crimes to access them.

3) They are damaging to the human body

It sounds like you and your friends are in middle school or else you would not be stating JR high school level government propaganda as to why drugs are illegal.

It started out because Gov programs that were in place for alcohol prohibition were going to be shut down once prohibition was abolished. It stated out with cannabis and when that was shown to siphon off enough tax dollars they started on other drugs.

The reason they stay illegal is because the DEA has become so large and all law enforcement gets so much in tax dollars and confiscated property and money. The CIA runs its black ops because of the black market, they even got caught running drugs. It is much more complex than I have stated but this is a start. I am too lazy to type out all the info you need to understand.

No one has a right to tell you what to put in your own body We are supposed to be free men and women.

Edit because I read this:

Originally posted by wrathchild
Has anybody seen their local meth-head wondering around a 7-11 parking lot?

have you seen a crack addicted prostitute?

Can you imagine how many more people would be like this if it were a government distributed drug system. I'm sure if the powers that be wanted a zombie like society that they could easily control they would just make this stuff legal.

That is such a weak minded argument that involved no original thought.

Would you use drugs because they are legal and distributed, would anyone of your friends. The type of people that will uses drugs will do it if it is legal or not. If they were concerned about harm to society most pharmaceutical drugs would be illegal and McDonalds would be illegal. It is about education. You inform the public that it is so insidious that its been made legal because of crime reduction of the black market and then you spend the money that was spent on incarceration on education of the perils of drug use

[edit on 21-7-2008 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Drugs can be harmful in a myriad ways. But also, the Pharmaceutical companies seem to want to make natural herbs illegal. They are also trying to make Vitamins obtainable only under prescription. They are trying to monopolize all means of healthy recovery. They lied about Kava Kava by making people believe the root plant caused liver problems when in reality, this was impure root with the non root parts mixed in with the roots. They made this story gain a lot of attention, when it was in fact not the truth of the matter. Kava Kava is a herb that can help with anxiety and insomnia and makes people feel serene. It is a threat to pharmaceutical companies because it does what anti-anxiety pills, sleeping pills, and happy pills do for one, without the side-effects!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

THAT STATEMENT ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT CANNOT TAX IT IS CRAZY. GOVERNMENT CAN TAX WHAT EVER THEY WANT. IT WAS TOLD THAT THE CIA WAS THE ORGANIZATION THAT FIRST ALLOWED DRUGS INTO THIS COUNTRY, IT JUST GOT OUT OF CONTROL. IS DRUGS DOING WHAT IT IS SUPPOSE TO DO, POPULATION CONTROL? THE FEAR OF OVERPOPULATION. WHERE WOULD WE GO WHEN THERE IS NO MORE ROOM ON EARTH? HOW CAN THEIR BE ENOUGH JOBS FOR EVERYONE? IT CAN'T BE ENOUGH JOBS, SO MORE PEOPLE WILL BE POOR. POOR PEOPLE MEANS THE INCREASE OF VIOLENCE, DECREASE OF EDUCATION, INCREASE OF CHILDREN. I DON'T CARE WHAT ETHNIC YOU THINK YOU ARE(WE ARE ALL EARTHING, ONE RACE), IF YOU ARE STARVING AND POOR, YOU WILL DO SOME CRAZY THINGS JUST FOR FOOD. A PERSON CANNOT THINK AT HIGHER LEVELS UNTIL THEIR BASIC INSTINCTS ARE SATISFIED. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT'S TRUE BUT THAT'S WHAT I HEARD/READ. EMAIL ME AT [email protected] AND LETS HAVE SOME INTELLITUAL CONVERSATIONS. AND PLEASE DO NOT USE BIG WORDS, I'M NOT THAT SMART.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I SEEN A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT DRUGS BEFORE THE MEXICANS. IT WAS DURING THE DAYS WHEN THEY FIRST STARTED TO LAY DOWN THE TRACKS FOR THE RAILROADS IN THE US. ASIANS CAME OVER HERE FOR WORK, AND THEY BROUGHT A PLANT (Papaver IT IS CALLED, I THINK) THAT DRUGS ARE MADE FROM. THEY WAS SMOKING IT. THIS WAS BEFORE DRUGS WAS ILLEGAL. WELL, THESE ASIANS WERE GETTING HIGH WITH ALOT WHITE WOMEN. THE THE WHITE MEN, THOUGHT THESE ASIANS WAS HAVING SEX WITH THE WHITE WOMEN WHICH THEY PROBABLY WAS. WHAT DRUG ADDICTS YOU KNOW WILL NOT HAVE SEX WITH SOMEONE TO GET HIGH. SO SOMEBODY, MAYBE A POLITICIAN, PUSHED TO MAKE DRUGS ILLEGAL. IT WAS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

That is such a weak minded argument that involved no original thought.

Would you use drugs because they are legal and distributed, would anyone of your friends. The type of people that will uses drugs will do it if it is legal or not. If they were concerned about harm to society most pharmaceutical drugs would be illegal and McDonalds would be illegal. It is about education. You inform the public that it is so insidious that its been made legal because of crime reduction of the black market and then you spend the money that was spent on incarceration on education of the perils of drug use

[edit on 21-7-2008 by LoneGunMan]

Would people try it if it were legal? Hell yea they would, because there would be a privatized sector with advertisements by big business. Think about that for a moment '___' advertised like Budwieser, now you tell me if people will jump on in?

As for the reason the drugs in the illegal line up are that way I could only guess its a mix of people with good and bad intentions making it that way. As LoneGunMan said there was alot of money and gov. divisions in the cross hairs during the Alcohol times. I don't think marijuana deserves to be settled in the rank with its other illegal brethren but then again you give an inch and the crowds will tug for a foot.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
the government would never want a happy population. a high and happy population. how do you create fear when people are happy?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydelay

You can say that but , I don't think that means the population is gonna be happy just because their high. It is only a temporary thing and later on your just down and out with the blood shot eyes anyway. But of course, you have a bunch of people running around with Cancer and MS and the marijuana is really helping them with the systems, but NO, the government does not want these people to be allowed to buy Marijuana legally. Why you might ask? This is not profitable to them, they'd rather you spend your money on vicodin or some other of their patented creations, then have you reap the benefits of Marijuana and then go running around, telling your friends how great it is. To them, losses start at a microcosm.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
They would not pose any problems if they were legal. If Crack was $5 a gram it everyone would afford it and all the crime would not happen. They could work and function. The fact that drugs are illegal and thus expensive.

The MONEY to get the drugs cause the crime. If they were cheap/free it wouldn't be a problem.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Briles

because drugs open your mind.

make you realise the lies you have been fed.

they make you question. they make you ponder deeply. they make you feel good, they make you feel bad. they make you violent, they make you sleep.

Drugs are capable of doing anything that you can conceive. They just get you there faster.

The main reason is because if ever man and women went through guided use of psychotropic chemicals is because they would then realise. WTF am i doing?

wake up. sign up to this site. begin their quest of knowledge. and not be the ignorant maleable, easily manipulated, pliable fools that the masters of chaos want them to be.

drugs stop people following the shepherd blind,
they can make you open or lose your mind
when your trapped deep inside the prison of time,
either one of these is an enemy state of the secret rulers of man kind,
i think youl find more high on ketamine then you ever will trudging through the 9-5

p

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
CAN I ADD ONE MORE THING. DRUGS ARE PART OF THE REASON WHY YOU SEE HOOKERS THAT ARE ON DRUGS BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF HOOKERS NOT ON DRUGS. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY DOCTORS AND NURSES THAT ARE ON DRUGS, CONSTRUCTION WORKERS, BOSSES, SHIPYARD WORKERS, SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE. IF YALL ACTUALLY KNEW, IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND, I KNOW. I DO NOT DO DRUGS, BUT BY BEING IN THE MIX (HEARING STORIES BECAUSE FROM MY ASSOCIATES (DRUG USERS AND SELLERS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY)), YOU WILL SEE ALL KINDS OF OCCUPATION OF PEOPLE ON DRUGS. I KNOW YALL HEAR STORIES ABOUT POLITICIANS, AND YOU CANNOT LEAVE OUT RICH FOLKS, BUT THEY GO ON WITH THEIR LIVES WITHOUT YOU NOT EVEN KNOWING. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CRIMINALS AND THE NON CRIMINAL DRUG USERS(HOOKERS, THIEVES, ETC), IS THAT RICH PEOPLE CAN AFFORD IT. IT'S A MONEY ISSUE. I WILL NOT SAY THAT DRUGS ARE ILLEGAL BECAUSE OF HOW PEOPLE ACT FROM IT. SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHOM ENFORCE THE LAW AND COME UP WITH THESE LAWS, USE DRUGS. YOU CAN LIVE LIFE AND DO DRUGS, BUT IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT, THEN YOU'RE #ED. EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
If pot were legal other drug use would go down including
alchohol and cigarettes.
Not to metion all the other uses.
Clothing, Plastics, paint, paper and medicine.
The rich would loose alot of money and the poor would share the wealth.
The Government Would loose Alot of under the table money also.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
drugs are illegal becuase they open your mind and allow you to perceive things that many close-minded people can't even begin to comprehend.

also, as others have said, becasue the government can't monopolize on it to tax it.

i reccomend the use of drugs, if you think you can handle it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kontagion

thatz why weed (marijuana) iz illegal unlezz its grown by the governement, called medical marijuana. becauze they can tax it. other drugz without taxing iz prolly why you dont go around the blocc geting a dime bag for 19.99 and pay more for tax ahha

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
well i think the only good reason you had up there and thats the only one i could think of (people commit crimes to obtain it) but in my opinion its BS because first of all people steal items and money all the time and not just for drugs but for what they want in general. i think drugs are illegal because the government makes too much money off of them. question me and my opinion if you like but things are never what they appear to be especially with the gov't police ECT.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
MARIJUANA (The government wants to test me when I pee)
Words and Music: Brian Robbins performed by PHISH (go have a listen)

Well once upon a time in 1776,
Thomas Jefferson signed his name on a piece of marijuana,
and this document was a symbol of freedom and of liberty,
at least for the rich, white gentry.

As time marched along,
this plant that I refer to has been used for everything,
from medicine to the American flag.
And now it seems to me
that somewhere along the way,
things got messed up, yeah, messed up.

Oh marijuana.
A gift of God to my brothers and me.
Oh marijuana
Now the government wants to test me when I pee.

Well some say a conspiracy
of the petro-chemical and pulp-paper industries combined
ha to kill the compitition.
Government hysteria,monopoly and conflict of interest,
with total impunity.

Yeah, so, if you don’t buy the conspiracy,
just look at the reality
that your tax dollars go
to spray poison on the fields of a farmer in South America.
And as an added bonus,
your neighbor might be the proud recipions of that poison weed.

Oh marijuana
now the government wants to test me when I pee.
Oh marijuana
a gift of god to my brothers and me.
Oh marijuana
you cant legislate your own morality.
Oh marijuana
the government wants to test me when I pee

Reefer madness, chronic sadness,
what is the half-life of bad propaganda?
Policies fail, denied bail,
you made him a demon now pay for his trip to prison.
Hired to promote the status quo,
but what is the shelf life of bad legislation.
The hypocrite smirks, it’s a moral disgrace
as he reads from a law that was written
about the same time that he had
his last original thought.

Well the men said he was dying,
and the nausea and the pain left him wasting away
and unable to keep a meal down.
So he tried everything a prescription could obtain
but to no avail.
The side effects were worse than the pain.
So now he breaks the law
to use the one thing that seems to help him out.
And the people say, Oh he's just getting’ high.
But not to change the subject but,
didn’t you ever wonder why getting’ high’s a crime,
yeah a crime.

Oh marijuana, a gift to god to my brothers and me.
Oh marijuana, now the government wants to test me when I pee.
Oh marijuana, the government wants to test me when I pee.
Oh marijuana, this is the part when everyone would sing along aha,when I pee

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join