It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The middle of the Bible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hey guys not sure if I'm posting this in the right place..

Anyway when I was younger coming from a Christian background I was told by my father about the middle verse of the bible being amazing and it summing up everything in one verse... Psalm 118:8. It reads as follows: "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."well it seems this was wrong but at the same time was right. It was popular belief that this verse was infact the very middle but apparently not it was these two:

PSALM 103: "BLESS the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits"

Pretty interesting stuff I was kinda gutted to have been wrong all this time but it seems I've found something even more amazing.

If you're interested take a look at the link. Also has some interesting stuff to do with the number 7.

Enjoy
www.biblebelievers.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I believe these verses to be a much more accurate summary of what God would want to say.

The problem with the world these days is people say they "BELIEVE IN GOD" but hardly any act and live their lives accordingly... With the new verses it is telling believers to Bless Gods name with all that we have and to be greatful for all we have been given.

This rings true to me.. and if I could say something to Christians today it would definately be along these lines.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Don't forget that the chapter and verse numbers that are in the Bible were added centuries later. I guess a more accurate way to find the middle verse would be to look at a Greek and Hebrew text and find the middle word and then find out what verse that word is in. None the less, those are good verses!

Tom

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don´t think it is possible to find the middle of the bible. Not in it´s original context.
It has been re-written, edited, interpreted, translated, added to and subtracted from so much through the years that it would be nigh impossible to reconstruct the original text.

Just my atheistic 0.02.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have to agree with Psychopump here, how can the middle of a book that has been changed so much ever be found? Anyway, the Holy bile was wholly written by MEN, not by any God, so all you have is a story or myth, or a collection of same, written by men. I will admit there is some wisdom in there, but IMHO, the bible should not ever be taken as the Words of God.

BTW, I have read several bibles, King James for one, the Apocrypha for another. I have also studied the Quabbala and many other old texts and books having to do with religion and the gods. It is clear to me the entire New Testament is man's creation, all of it came years after Christ, too long to remember with clarity anything he may have said.

I think each one of us has a direct connection with the God, or Gods, or Goddess any time we wish to. They do not live in a church, or any building, but within each one of us.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I have to agree with Psychopump here,

You make it sound like something bad.
*plunges into an inferiority complex*

top topics

join