It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shotgun vs Car Engine Block.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
After a recent post by myself and reply by ALIENSTAR i have been trying to validate my claim that a Solid Slug Shotgun shell could penetrate the Engine block of a Car at ranges of less than 30m. (I believe most modern cars have Aluminium Magnesium Blocks, old vehicles tend to be steel/cast iron somekind of ferrous Alloys)

It is practiced by Armed Officers of UK Police forces to stop terrorism suspects, however their is little hard evidence to support this. Therefore i am opening a debate to find out if anyone has any 1st hand knowledge, seen or even fired a solid slug into a car engine block.

Any information is welcome, particularly discussing the merits/ pitfalls and any comparisons with different shell types and the penetrative effects or Damage. Also any anecdotal information is welcome as it promotes a good debate. ( I have seen a .357 video on You tube and was shocked to see an idiot firing rounds at less than 3m, he was lucky to go home alive!)

Good Hunting.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I recall in an episode of cops, the local sheriff kept with him the standard issue 12 gauge shotgun they carry in their patrol cars.

He says he carries some deer slugs around for the very reason you just mentioned.

I know thats not much to go on, but it's a start

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Nope, I tried it a loooong lime ago, in a place far far away(12 guage). The engine block was an old checy 350 v8 it did crack and break the SIDE casting part of the block next to the cylinder but didn't even penetrate. An AK-47 doesnt even go through both sides just through one side before the round is disintergrated. That was about 50 yards hiding behind a truck. Remember there is a lot of hard metal inside the block, Crank,Piston rods, camshaft, gears, lifters.

Ps. I did even shoot the top of the piston and that did not do anything except make a small crater with the AK-47, didnt try it with the slug 50Cal

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
No, you can´t penetrate a car engine of any build with a simple shotgun slug, which are made of soft metals by design. Actually you wouldnt stop many engines by pentrating, as you would only take out one cylinder at best.

What you CAN do however is damage or destroy a lot of the components mounted around the engine which are just as vital as the engine itself, electric lines, cam belts, carburetors and the like. All these discussions whether or not a weapon could "penetrate the engine block" are just unnecessary internet gibberish.

[edit on 21/7/2008 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
www.theboxotruth.com has tons of information on things being shot.
I don't know if they specifically have information on a car block, but you will find it interesting, nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
British police don't just use simple slug rounds for this. They use specialy designed solid steel spheres called privot rounds. These cut through certain parts of the engine to disable the car. Generally though a more common method is to blow out the tyres with Hatton rounds (please don't try shooting at tyres with pistol bullets, standard slug or buck shot - pneumatic tyres are really quite hard to penetrate unless hit at the right angle. This can cause potentially fatal ricochets).

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Best round I can think of off hand to stop a car is a .50 BMG. Barrett, Serbu, Armalite, ect ect. All make them. If you have to shoot the driver aim at the dash just below the driver above the hood. Rounds tend to deflect up and it almost puts the rounds into the head of the driver for you.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
If you have to shoot the driver aim at the dash just below the driver above the hood. Rounds tend to deflect up and it almost puts the rounds into the head of the driver for you.

I don't know about .50BMG rounds, but in my experience the majority of pistol and rifle rounds deflect downwards when fired against a windscreen. The effect is more noticable in lighter rounds. A 9mm will tend to deflect downwards by about 4-8 inches between point of aim and target in the distance between windscreen and driver depending on angle of strike and windscreen slope. This is how I was trained when I was on special duties in NI, and practice shoots tended to confirm this .

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
While your police may do so, are British subjects even allowed to purchase shotgun slugs?

And no, while it would make a big dent in an aluminum block, you really need at least a .338 Lapua to make a hole.

On an interesting side note, .50BMG will go right through a solid steel manhole cover, as I was reliably informed by someone who actually tested it. I have no idea where he procured the manhole cover however.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
i agree with these guys if you shoot the nut behind the steering wheel the rest of the hardware will stop sooner or later

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It is possible with 12 gauge a 3inch max Dram, sabot slug. Blue right into an old pickup engine. I would hate (love) to see what the same shot would do to a newer car!

top topics

join