It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible worldline jump: New words suddenly appearing in your vocabulary?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Has anyone ever noticed that all of a sudden you see a word that seems to be in a fairly wide use everywhere, but you don't recognize it at all belonging to your vocabulary? As if you saw this word for the first time in your life and had to look it up on a dictionary? This happened to me a few weeks ago.

I participated in a discussion in some ATS thread and noticed a member using a word totally unknown to me. At that point I thought it was a typo as we all make them occasionally. However, I noticed that the same person was using that word again in another post so perhaps it wasn't a typo after all. All of a sudden this word started appearing here and there in online texts and discussions, and I decided to have a look in my vocabulary. There it was, and Google even gave me a bold number of almost two million hits for this exact word.

The problem is, I can swear I had never, ever seen this word before in my life. I use English daily in my everyday work, and already when I was a university student more than a decade ago, I used to make my living translating very complex technical and scientific texts from English and some other languages into my native language. I loved to do that work as I have always been very good at learning foreign languages, and usually I only have to learn a word unknown to me only once. This "gift" makes it easy for me to immediately spot typing errors (made by others, I rarely can spot mine) and words totally new to me. As I've always read very much, mostly in English, I really haven't had for years a need to use a dictionary any more for finding out a meaning for a common word. Until now.

Please don't laugh at me, but the word in question was "asinine".

As if I had suddenly jumped to another worldline where people use certain words that were not used in my "original" worldline which I clearly remember. Even now, after a few weeks after I first discovered it, the word "asinine" still feels completely alien to me.

I've had some other weird encounters like this before, but not very many. One of the weirdest temporal glitch was an old high school classmate of mine whom I happened to meet after 15 years. I immediately recognized him, but he swore he'd never seen me before even if he admitted going to the same school and class as I had. At that time I thought this guy had just some mental problems, but recently I've started to think there might be something more to it... Maybe I wasn't his classmate in 1986, at least not in the worldline he actually remembers!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well.... welcome to my worldline. We have been using asinine here for quite some time. I hope you enjoy your stay

Did you look up the pronunciation of the word? Maybe that is the confusion? That one has just been fairly common in my daily life that it is weird to imagine someone not being exposed to it.

Interesting post.

I had the same thing happen with "Ad Hominem Attacks". I had never heard that before, but then it just caught on like wildfire on the internet and everyone who wanted to sound intelligent in a debate was using it. I blame the internet on that one though.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I doubt this is some weird parallel world or such. I am very familiar with the word asinine, and you might just have missed picking it up. I can not explain why your class mate can not remember you, but most people do not have good memories.

I would not chalk this up to anything other than pure coincidence. Asinine is a common word, and its common for people to have horrible memories.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Lithium

I suggest You read this thread :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

its long but I think You might find it very interesting.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
this thread reminds me of a joke that I have heard in my world time space continium.

I saw this girl walk by, my buddy asked how hot I thought she was..
I told him decent........ I said I'd give her face a "5" but her asinine.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
In my worldline/timeline, I was almost sure you had posted a few replies in the above linked thread: Something has changed, timeline? and was surprised to see you had not -- yet anyway.

As for me, I've never encountered word variations, only events & memories seem to change from time to time.

Example: I come from a worldline where the Smithsonian had a live trilobite display. I distinctly remember a large tank/aquarium filled with a putrid looking yellowish liquid (best comparison is pickle-juice), and there were between 50-100 trilobites swimming around. Time and place: early 80's, Washington D.C., springtime, Natural History Museum, not far from the elephant in the middle...

I remembered this a few years ago and asked my mom if she remembered. She did and commented on how odd that was...then a few weeks ago I brought it up in conversation and she had no recollection of this ever happening.

I admit, I was very young at the time, but I knew my shiz about dinosaurs & fossils, and this display affected me for life. I wasn't supposed to exist, but there it was.

About the new words popping up, it has happened to me, but I've always taken the new vocabulary on board thought nothing more of it. Who knows, maybe the human learning process is actually a meshing of individual worldlines.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You know there have been a bunch of worldline jump stories recently, maybe too many. Its started to affect my perception! I experienced a glitch in the matrix the other day, I swear I saw a litteral glitch, kinda like watching an old vhs tape stutter. Maybe we are in a computer program after all, and the program is having issues, lol. It only happened one time for a split second, it made me pause for a second in bewilderment, but really after that what can you do.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Project Camelot has interviews of Dr. Dan Burisch. Also of David Wilcock and mention of the Montauk project, and the orion cube and looking glass technology. Though I felt like I was suddenly plunged into the twighlight zone after watching these and researching it further, I had already watched a really good anime called Noein which dealt with many alternate fractured variations our timeline that made this somewhat palatable. We all have to draw our own conclusions in the end.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I believe I've heard your case to be an example of synchronicity.

en.wikipedia.org...

I, myself, have experienced hearing a word for the first time (at least I think I had but most likely not) and then heard it multiple times within a short span of time. It's interesting to think how the mind captures these ''coincidences''.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Doc, I wonder if I am the member who has been using the word asinine.

I look at many of these timeline threads, and may have posted on one.

But more importantly, when I read you OP, I realized that I have been using the word asinine quite a lot these days on here. I don't know if it is because the time line shifted, I have been using it because it a more polite way to say something, shall we say, suck a fool that they are a donkey's behind. There have been a spate of terrible posters, acting like fools.

Just a thought.
Even though I am in my early 30s, growing up with an English major for a Mom, I have a fairly large vocabulary.
DocMoreau

P.S. I would imagine that asinine is more often than not misspelled as 'assinine' because the meaning is similar to the colloquialism that one could more easily use, although not pass ATS censors. Alas...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThillI suggest You read this thread :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

its long but I think You might find it very interesting.

I considered posting in that thread, but it seems to have grown into a promising ATS Mega thread (although still not comparable to any "Sleeper" thread) that is already quite cluttered with its 30+ pages. Many, many posts there are just repeating themselves, with some of the posts just inserted there to check the real number of pages in that thread... There is an enormous lot to read, but perhaps a bit hard to find the real discussion mixed within all the noise. Instead, I decided to start a new thread for somewhat better clarity.

I just hope this thread won't turn into a "who of the kazillion TV actors are alive and who are not" as I will gladly participate such a discussion in the original Mega thread -- if I only can think of an actor whose life and death status seems to jump around in my reality. I like reading and languages much more than watching the idiot box anyway.

I'm hoping to raise discussion of possible unknown words that some people may have found to appear out of nowhere to everyday use, overnight. Or discussion of my beginning dementia and overly selective one-word amnesia. In the end the Member Jury may decide which of these is the real deal here.

[edit on 21.7.2008 by Doc Lithium]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Man did you make a bad choice of timelines to jump into!

This place is about to blow!

Words are like birds, there are so many. They come and go. No one has seen them all.
According to the American Heritage Dictionary, there are 884,647 words in the english language.

An extremely well read person may know 12,000

And I don't think that includes the English language.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Weak, it would be much more convincing if it was a word that appeared everywhere at once, and no one knew what it meant. However if there's a word you don't understand, and then more people start using it at an increasing rate, that's just natural, people read it, like it because it's unusual, and apply it in other things, I seriously doubt this is paranormal.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
ive noticed something very similar. normaly with words i know but just dont hear often.

i'll see a word or just learn it and all of a sudden it's everywhere!

I just wonder why i never noticed before.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Dang it, I thought Marty and the Doc had destroyed that infernal thing and here they are mucking things up again.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Lithium
In the end the Member Jury may decide which of these is the real deal here.
[edit on 21.7.2008 by Doc Lithium]

In the end, I don't think the Member Jury matters in the least. What matters is what you believe is the truth. The rest is just speculation.

It is very possible that this is a totally new word to you. However, this is something that is utterly impossible for anyone else to prove! This is a personal experience for you, with absolutely no physical proof.

But, just because there is no proof, does not mean that it did not happen. If you truly believe that this word is new in your timeline, then that is all that matters. I just wonder if somehow this word has never been used around you before. This is an uncommon word, and its use is not widespread. I can easily see how its use would escape contact with you.

But, in my opinion, the Jury is not here to determine if something is real to you or not, BUT the Jury is here to provide additional information, skepticism, criticism, and friendly debate.

The truth is all in your hands, and mind

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I make up words all the time,

Flamdibberious, Slaptastic, theres also ones I havent made up that are fiarly new, Pwnage, Mingebaggery, an then slang like word, suppage,

Its nothing new, just people being creative an using choped up words to make one word with multiple meanings.

many circles have their own set of words.

top topics

join