It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some people take 'deny ignorance' too far!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
This is not an attack or rant against ATS as an entity, only a rant against some of its inhabitants.

TOO FAR

The premise of ATS, as i perceive it, is to act as a bastion for intellectual discussion. I see ATS being a sort of "future" grandfather to the intellectual change that will eventually sweep through main stream society. (could also just be wishful thinking)

And what makes ATS this way?

The "deny ignorance" mission statement.

ATS should be the launching point for first contact, it should be the first place that REAL photo's of ET's pop up, just as a vague example.

But as with everything, there are some of take a good thing and go TOO FAR!!!!

now, in order to participate in some of my favorite forums, i have to take part in discussions with people who claim to be :

• From Mars
  • Reptilians from the planet Szzzikitzzsss trinebular 3 alpha quadrant 42.1
  • "inside men" for the 9/11 attacks that have the "smoking gun" to prove that Bush concocted it
  • Racist and/or Elitist political talking heads that can't pull their head out of their own hind quarters to draw a breath to save their life.
  • "illegal aliens" who offer their point of view on why they choose to break the laws of the united states to be here, post on ATS, etc

I mean, the list goes on.

NOW

Don't get me wrong. I dont mind these thread, in fact, it can be quite entertaining to talk to someone who literally wears the tin foil hat

but

when you enter these threads, typically a hundred or so replies into them, you soon find yourself the victim of the OP's possee.

You provide the "captain obvious" logic to the OP's story, and you're met with aggressive retaliation, seemingly around every corner.

And now their defense has become

"way to deny ignorance, moron"

...so questioning a questionable story is not denying ignorance, because the story in its origins was designed to ... deny ignorance?

The logic simply makes no sense, and it makes me pipping hot mad.

Normally - you could follow the "ignore it" and move on ideology

But with the ever increasing population of the reptialian race hellbent on destroying WTC's all over the universe, popping up in the ATS forums, how is it possible to truly avoid them

Ah.

:bnghd:

says it all

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

# From Mars
# Reptilians from the planet Szzzikitzzsss trinebular 3 alpha quadrant 42.1
# "inside men" for the 9/11 attacks that have the "smoking gun" to prove that Bush concocted it
# Racist and/or Elitist political talking heads that can't pull their head out of their own hind quarters to draw a breath to save their life.
# "illegal aliens" who offer their point of view on why they choose to break the laws of the united states to be here, post on ATS, etc

You don't have to take part in discussions with these people to participate in your favorite forums. You can ignore the majority of them. Don't attack them on who they claim to be. If you don't agree with them than attack their arguments and tell them why you think they're wrong... then tell them why claiming to be from mars is a little crazy... or you could just play a long with them.

This isn't something to get upset about. There are all kinds of crazy people on the internet. You may not be able to ignore them all... but I think if you try hard enough you can avoid a great deal of them. I think it's usually easy to spot these trolls and avoid them.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It's getting VERY tiresome that I make this same post about twice a week.
Read and participate in what you chose. IGNORE the rest.
It's very simple.
Don't post in the troll threads.
The more encouragement they get, the more they come here.
That being said..
There are many who are at different levels of enlightenment.
When I first starting reading David Icke years ago..Reptilian bloodlines seemed a possibility. Takes more research and understanding to either prove or disprove a theory when it's presented to you.
If the content of the forums doesn't please you..remember..it is USER-GENERATED. Do your own research, start your own thread.
As is said many times..
"Be the change you wish to see."

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Wow

Maybe you two should go re-read my post.

I wasnt complaining about the context of the post, i was complaining about when you enter in there and challenge the post and give your rendition of it - you are "no longer" denying ignorance....because you are denying their version of denying ignorance.....

Why can't i challenge their post? Even though its trollish in nature, if the first 5 top threads of a particular forum are of a questionable nature, what am i supposed to do? Rehatch an old discussion of an acceptable nature?

No.

I'd be talking to myself.

Also - if you're growing tiresome of "these kinds of posts" maybe you should follow your own advice and *ahem* not post here?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Ahem..
Ditto..
Another brick in the wall.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I understand where your coming from. I have been the poster/agreed with logical posts in threads with a somewhat... questionable subject matter only to be challenged with "Isn't the motto of this site 'Deny Ignorance'?"

The way I interpret the all-famous slogan is this:

Denying Ignorance means question everything we see, hear, experience. Anyone posting a thread should expect it to be scrutinised in a way that makes Law and Order look like Cops and Robbers.

Denying Ignorance means we should constantly strive, through questions>revelations>questioning the revelations, to remove anything which impedes our desire to expand our minds. Anything knowingly false and purposefully posted, down to the unknowingly false and accidentally posted (it happens, and the OP usually apologises and we all move on.

Denying Ignorance means should I post something seemingly amazing which I believe/know to be true, people will (thankfully) question me about it. I will use whatever means I can to provide evidence proving it to be true, especially if asked for specific things (smells, images, sounds etc).

This is just my interpretation. It is the way I think I would be treated, and the way I treat anything that sets off my Question Mark alarm (a small box in the back of my neck).
I don't take any of it personally. While involved in a major thread, I expect people to be able to keep whatever happens in there separate from the way they treat other members, other posts and ATS as a whole.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Well, you show your overly agressive nature again and misunderstood AD's post. She said that she POSTS a similar threads as to what you have here, saying that she agreed.

Then she offered her two cents to your problem, suggesting that perhaps these threads are not worth your time, to which you snidely decided that she hadn't read your post.

She wasn't really arguing you at all, and your cinicism got the best of you.

Deny Overreaction. You need to work on that and let the kids have their fun now and then, or you won't ever last on the boards.

new topics

top topics

join