It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Terrorist Rail Bombings in Madrid, Al Qaeda Claims Responsibility, Threatens US Attacks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My understanding was that the ETA was a very first-tier (ei not very powerful) terrorist group, with under 20 members and only a few sympathisers. This is a lot of bang, in my opinion, for a group like this to throw out in one strike.

ETA Profile

AT least eight bombs, with timers and the works is definitely a lot of material for such a small group, along with the fact that it has been clamped down on hard recently. Also, I agree with JB- this definitely isn't their style at all.

DE

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Seems the Spanish government is now saying the explosives are the type used by ETA. Can they really determine who did it? I mean we still have discussions in this country about who did 9/11. I guess no one has claimed responsibility yet, which to me would rule out Al Queda as they would LOVE to claim it.

The explosives used in the blasts were a type of dynamite that the ETA Basque separatist group normally uses, the Interior Ministry said following tests

Here is the article just linked off the druge report
apnews.myway.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The Spaniards should feel lucky most of them aren't Jewish.

Otherwise you'd have all sorts of "Solidarity with Basqians" -types flying in right now to protest against the horrible occupation.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Foxnews is reporting that the ETA groups spokesman is stating they had nothing to do with today's bombings.

Seems they would not say that unless it was true, I mean if they did it they have to realize how many people would have been killed, you cannot place 10 bombs on trains and not expect a huge number of deaths.

Guess we will have to see if old Osama puts out another tape. Has anyone been able to review the last tape released against the timeline of this attack? I know in past discussions there was a comparision of tapes vs attacks and there were certainly timing links.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
such a sad thing, over 190 dead and 1200 injured. Europe seems to be getting hot...since attacks have not occured on USA soil, it seems it easier for terrorists to act in places such as Spain where there is a very large Arab population. And yes reports are saying that the group ETA is denying responsibility and is now putting the blame on Al-Qaeda, However I won't believe any Al-Qaeda connections, unless Al-Zawahiri or Bin Laden themselves claim responsibility for it.

[Edited on 3-11-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In recent years ETA has faced a number of severe blows because of actions of the French and Spanish police. usually they only attack police, political and business (such as tourist centra) targets. It is, since a number of years, listed as a terrorist organisation by the EU. Their support in the Basque region has also dwindeled the last couple of years because the region has enjoyed some more autonomy and the people fear that ETA cann't bring anything more but trouble to them.

What the overall response in the EU will be can be heard from a number of leaders today who call for a even more stringent course and probably a completly Pan-European counter-terrorism agency. Something I think is overdue!!

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There may yet be another twist to this.

After saying all day that it was ETA a Gov official has just said that an Arabic tape has been found in a car near the scene.

More when I hear it.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

After saying all day that it was ETA a Gov official has just said that an Arabic tape has been found in a car near the scene.

More when I hear it.

Got that just a second ago over here, JB1.
An Arabic tape and detonators in a van.
Main story updated to reflect this.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

More when I hear it.

Someone else watches channel 4

this is indeed a worrying development.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

More when I hear it.

I hear something close to that, i guess it depends on what channel you watch.lol

What is odd to me is, No one has claimed it. When 9/11 happened , there was little time before it was claimed.

If some people believe that the US goverment eas behind 9/11, would that mean the US goverment is behind the rest of the terror? Place things that will implacate a certain terror group. "Oh it has to be them."

Im not saing that i believe the US goverment would do this. Just tring to Deny.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I smell Al-Qaeda blame coming soon. It's not surprising that they would say it is Al-Qaeda related, it helps justify Spain's reasons for involvement against the war on Terror.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to the third world war, i'll be your host Nerdling through this eternal battle against terrorism.

Please stay in your homes and do not panic.

I'm still waiting on something else to happen, its not like al-qaedas style, we had the big hit but wheres the small one?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think it was mideastern terrorists joining up with ETA. They give ETA training money and more powerful weapons, ETA gives them safe houses, EU passports inside information and intelligence.

The IRA has already started to work and "subcontract" to middle eastern terror groups. Why not ETA?

And yes, this is WW3.

WW3 started in 1998 when Osama Bin Laden formally declared war on the U.S.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The "Al Qaeda" word is being used in some circles now.
Nothing official, but the suspicion is there.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
foxnews reporting Al Queda is claiming responsibility for the Madrid bombing, early reports, could change but noteworthy

[Edited on 3/11/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Could this be some sort of retaliation having something to do with the rumors last week of the capture of OBL?
Fits the time frame. It's still early, ownership could still be claimed.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So Shepard Smith of Foxnews just showed himself with a camera walking around the NY subway just a bit ago talking about how many people are in that subway system, what is above the stations (ice rink) etc.

So Foxnews just created a new terrorist training tape.

If this is in fact Al Queda could we be next? Maybe tomorrow? I know they wanted to do an attack on both sides of the Atlantic, I just assumed it would be same day.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ok, the al-qaeda claim (according to the BBC) originates from a letter publicised by a well known london islamic newspaper, this is unconfirmed at the moment.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
190 dead, 1200 injured....France wants Security Alert Raised.....Looks like AQ is on the hunt again. Im guessing this will be the beginning of a spew of attacks that AQ will pull off before the years end.....They seem to strike in spurts for the most part and this could just be a test for things to come to the US....Just my speculation though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join