It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Terrorist Rail Bombings in Madrid, Al Qaeda Claims Responsibility, Threatens US Attacks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
SPAIN - Ten co-ordinated bombings, set off by remote control, have occured in the Madrid rail system near the Atocha, El Pozo and Santa Eugenia stations. The bombs were hidden in backpacks along the rail system. Reports are still coming in, with at least 200 people reported dead, including babies and children, and 1,500 injured. More than 600 people were injured in two blasts at the Atocha station alone. The numbers of dead and injured are both expected to rise throughout the day. This is the deadliest terror attack in a European city since WWII.
Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility for the attack in a message to London newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi.

Sky News

The letter of responsibility, which was emailed to the newspaper office, was signed by the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, a known Al Qaeda group. The Al-Quds Al-Arabi newspaper is their standard means of communication, having used the same newspaper to claim past attacks. The group is named after Osama bin Laden's right-hand man, who was killed in the Tora Bora battle in Afghanistan in 2001. Newspaper editor Bari Atwan says he is "certain" the claim is authentic.
"The death squad succeeded in penetrating the crusader European depths and striking one of the pillars of the crusader alliance - Spain - with a painful blow."

The letter also claims a large-scale attack on US soil is "90%" ready.
"We bring the good news to Muslims of the world that the expected 'Winds of Black Death' strike against America is now in its final stage...90 percent (ready) and God willing near," the letter said.

In an audio tape released in October, a voice said to be that of Osama bin Laden said, "We reserve the right to respond at the appropriate time and place against all the countries participating in this unjust war, particularly Britain, Spain, Australia, Poland, Japan and Italy,"

According to the Interior Ministry, investigators are now following the possible Al Qaeda link in addition to suspected ETA involvement.

Eight bomb detonators and "Arabic tapes" about Koranic teachings were found in a van near the blast sites, according to the Spanish Interior Ministry. The tapes did not contain any threats, and are commercially availible. There has been speculation by terror experts that many aspects of this attack do not match up with normal actions by terror group ETA, such as advance warning and immediate claims. Also, ETA is known to target individuals or small groups rather than large co-ordinated attacks with tremendous loss of life such as this. Their deadliest attack numbered 21 fatalities in a supermarket bombing in Barcelona in 1987.

ETA spokespersons have distanced themselves from the attack. The leader of the Basque political party, Arnaldo Otegi, said, "What we want to make absolutely clear is that the Basque nationalist left do not even contemplate the possibility that ETA was behind what happened today in Madrid. What we can make absolutely clear is that in neither the objective nor the modus operandi can it be said that ETA was behind this."

The bombings occured almost simultaneously beginning at 7:39 AM local time and lasting approximately 15 minutes. Thirteen bombs in total were involved; three were destroyed in controlled detonations and resulted in no injury.

Plans for a massive rally are underway in Madrid as officials call for citizens to march along with the Prime Minister and the King in a show of solidarity. More than one million people are expected to be present.

Additional News Reports:
CNN.com
BBC.co.uk
MSNBC
Reuters
Newsday.com
Mail & Guardian
Bloomberg.com

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reports on sky news tv are saying atleast 3 explosions and many casualties.

i am scouring news website for more info.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
CNN

Quote: "MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Two explosions have ripped through Madrid's Atocha railway station at the height of morning rush hour -- one of the blasts hitting a crowded commuter train car, Spanish radio reported."

news.com.au

msnbc

[Edited on 3-11-2004 by ausconspiracies]

[Edited on 3-11-2004 by ausconspiracies]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So starts the revenge Im guessing.
Interesting to hear the details on this one....

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Aljazeera reporting 5 dead
english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Keep it coming, guys.
Thanks for the links, I'm updating as fast as I get 'em.

-B.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
Aljazeera reporting 5 dead
english.aljazeera.net...

Ha retz reports 5 explosions at seperate locations.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
would you believe Madrid News.com has nothing
www.madridnews.com...

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I cant believe any of the main news networks dont even have a feed yet...They feed all Israelis bombings, I dont see this as any different and if anything more intriguing and news worthy.

Remember Spain was with us on the Iraq war and has troops in place in Iraq, another theory could be ETA and the upcoming elections in Spain.

Post from another site im Stealing

"Israel Radio
Jewish Agency rep. in Spain:

3 explosions at train station in Madrid. Rush hour, many many people going to work. As it seem now, 50 casualties. 10 killed. Lots of confusion amongst police and emergency forces. No pictures yet, and casualties have not all been evacuated yet. In the middle of responding to event. One explosion at front of station, 2 other explosions on sides of station."

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Dreamz]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The cause of the detonation at the Atocha station was not known. Police have been on alert for Basque separatist violence ahead of general elections Sunday.
Newsday.com

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
At least 15 killed, Spanish news agency reports

Related Link from BBC on the upcoming election

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
At least 15 killed, Spanish news agency reports

They're saying 60 now.....

-B.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
ETA: Feared separatist group

The Basque separatist group ETA has been fighting for an independent Basque state in northern Spain since 1968.

During that period, ETA has been blamed for killing more than 800 people, kidnapping 70 others and wounding thousands, making it one of the most feared organisations of its kind in Europe.

CNN

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Thanks to Banshee for keeping my original post updated.

i have had a family issue to deal with so thanks Banshee & everyone else who has contributed for updating this thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Photos:

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
They're saying 60 now.....

-B.

60? Jesus. I fear the number may keep climbing as the hours progress.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Some reports of an additional explosion or explosions in the subway system just moments ago.
www.novinite.com...

ETA: Sky is reporting more than 85 dead now.
This is so very sad.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I just heard there is a sixth explosion reported.

This does not sound like ETA to me.

From memory ETA normally target the Spanish holiday resorts in an effort to effect tourism.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Almost certainly 60 killed now...
Unclear but Eta are believed to be the source of this, after 2 Eta 'men' were caught smuggling 250 or 500kg of explosives into Madrid a month ago.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Where did you hear that, JB1?
None of the news stations over here are reporting this at all.

No one has claimed responsibility yet....I would think by now we'd have something...

-B.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join