It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do many scientists dislike religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I've been doing a little bit of reading. I think I know why scientists dislike religion now. It's because they are materialistic in their world view. They won't accept religion unless they change their world view. Quantum mechanics allows them to change their world view if they wanted to. But they don't want to because they want to be in denial of the many truths religion has because they don't see concrete proof of religion.

I just guess that because scientists are so materialistic they would hate it if there's anything judging them from above or from a plane of existence transcending reality.

Is that about it?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Isnt religion a type of science in itself? It is basically interprataions and theories from written documentation. Just lacking more physical evidence.

And science is a religion as well, with alott more work involved. Just some of the theories/ ideas that come from science are confrontational to some religious beliefs.Just like the religous wars still going on today.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tjetbone

You'd be surprised. In the book I'm reading Rational Mysticism the author is detailing how there actually are some scientists who believe that religious experiences can be explained through brain chemistry. There are those that believe this approach is materialistic.

The majority of the theories from mainstream science are materialistic.

Religion isn't science. Religion is metaphysical. The best way to put it is that science deals with material things and religion deals with the spiritual aspect of our life. Of course don't get me wrong, there are theologians, and different people who try to prove religious concepts and ideas to be true... but mainstream science has been primarily an atheistic course of study.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join