It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do many scientists dislike religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

They dislike religion because fanatics interfere with scientific progress such as stem-cell research and genetic engineering; that would be the only good reason. Some scientists are religious, though.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by johneboy

I won't argue that science can be used for good, or evil. My issue with religion is that, it serves no good.

Hmm. How is it that religion has been a cultural institution for as long as there has been civilization if it serves no good? It seems like an awfully good run for something that is entirely without justification. And, do you suppose that organized religion had any role in drawing hunter-gatherers out of the wilds and into city-states?

You don't seem to understand religion from an historical standpoint, much less anthropological, sociological, psychological, economic, political... you get my point. This information is readily available, and plentiful.

So then it would be more accurate if you said, "My issue with religion is that I will not see any good in it."

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crystalbaraland

Religion is the worst concept perpetrated by humans upon humans. Religions require fear and wars. There are no gods, every single one was created by humans. The judeo/christian concept of a god is as flawed as can be imagined. Religion stunted progress on this planet. Without religion we would have developed far more than we have.

No one can say a good word about religion.

That's a pretty dense nugget you've posted. Every sentence is a gem.

Religion is the worst concept perpetrated by humans upon humans.

You seem to be glossing over the reciprocal nature of religion. I do not attend any church, but I live in a small town where most residents do attend church on Sundays. They must be getting perpetrated reeeal bad, to keep going back that way. Do you suppose they don't have a choice in the matter? Would you rather they didn't?

Religions require fear and wars.

Aah, yes. I still remember, as if it were yesterday, the great Buddhist-Quaker turf wars in Upstate New York a decade or so back. It was a bloodbath.

There are no gods, every single one was created by humans.

That's a contradiction. You might say instead "There are gods, but every single one was created by humans."

The judeo/christian concept of a god is as flawed as can be imagined.

Flawed? As compared with what? What kind of criteria are you using to make this judgment?

Religion stunted progress on this planet. Without religion we would have developed far more than we have.

You need a history lesson, I think.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ever heard of the term story teller, well the bible is a story made by lying humans.
That could be the key factor.

You ever read the story of noahs ark, even a mentally challenged person would question that story.

Think about it...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter

Originally posted by Crystalbaraland
Religion stunted progress on this planet. Without religion we would have developed far more than we have.

You need a history lesson, I think.

I would be happy if you could provide 3 examples of how religion has advanced us as a civilization.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter

I won't argue that science can be used for good, or evil. My issue with religion is that, it serves no good.

Hmm.How is it that religion has been a cultural institution for as long as there has been civilization if it serves no good? It seems like an awfully good run for something that is entirely without justification. And, do you suppose that organized religion had any role in drawing hunter-gatherers out of the wilds and into city-states?

You don't seem to understand religion from an historical standpoint, much less anthropological, sociological, psychological, economic, political... you get my point. This information is readily available, and plentiful.

So then it would be more accurate if you said, "My issue with religion is that I will not see any good in it."

Religion has not been around since the dawn of civilization,spirituality has,first from the shamans....but apart from that....no....and why not point out some good things from the past 3000 or so years religion has encompassed the world and show its benefits? You would be hard pressed to find anything that religion can do that any moral humane and caring human can do...without the nonsensical blackmail approach of im doing good so i can get into heaven...not very moral...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I would be happy if you could provide 3 examples of how religion has advanced us as a civilization.

Not to jump in and speak for Applebiter, but I can easily provide three examples.

1) I don't care if you're talking about ancient paganism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism or animism - religion has *universally* advanced the arts.

(And before anyone goes off on a tangent about censorship - name one government, business or organization that doesn't censor its members or citizens either formally or informally.)

2) Religion has glued individuals and communities together. Everyone loves to talk about how religion divides us - and it may very well at the global level. But at the local and interpersonal levels, religion acts as a catalyst for bonding and unity.

3) Religion provides us with an ethical system. I'm not saying that there aren't secular ethical systems, but how many people actually follow them? I mean, seriously, who gets up in the morning and says, "I am going to do the greatest amount of good possible for the most amount of people"?

There you go. Three things religion in general has given us. If you want to get into specific religions - such as Christianity or Hinduism - you will find that each have contributed greatly to their own respective cultures.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kontagion

Not to jump in and speak for Applebiter, but I can easily provide three examples.

1) I don't care if you're talking about ancient paganism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism or animism - religion has *universally* advanced the arts.

(And before anyone goes off on a tangent about censorship - name one government, business or organization that doesn't censor its members or citizens either formally or informally.)

2) Religion has glued individuals and communities together. Everyone loves to talk about how religion divides us - and it may very well at the global level. But at the local and interpersonal levels, religion acts as a catalyst for bonding and unity.

3) Religion provides us with an ethical system. I'm not saying that there aren't secular ethical systems, but how many people actually follow them? I mean, seriously, who gets up in the morning and says, "I am going to do the greatest amount of good possible for the most amount of people"?

There you go. Three things religion in general has given us. If you want to get into specific religions - such as Christianity or Hinduism - you will find that each have contributed greatly to their own respective cultures.

Wow what an epic failure...again nothing religion does is not accesible from someone from a non religious point of view...without the blackmail invloved like i said...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

You're kidding, right? It's not rocket science. Most people with a healthy IQ want some proof before they believe in a thing. Religion requires faith. In this case, faith requires abandonment of reason. No scientist worth his salt will abandon that which makes him what he is - logic.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

You're kidding, right? It's not rocket science. Most people with a healthy IQ want some proof before they believe in a thing. Religion requires faith. In this case, faith requires abandonment of reason. No scientist worth his salt will abandon that which makes him what he is - logic.

Well thats not true since alot of *respected* scientists also take religious views into consideration... of the human genome project is a good example...Not saying its correct,its frankly laughable...but logic and reason doesnt come into religion...despite how many view it.I dont know what it is that makes certain people prone to believing such garbage,but it isnt reason or logic imo...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

Wow what an epic failure...again nothing religion does is not accesible from someone from a non religious point of view...without the blackmail invloved like i said...

Johneboy, as I recall, asked for three examples of how religion has advanced civilization. I gave three examples. Yes, theoretically speaking a secular organization could accomplish those three things - but name one secular agency that has contributed to thousands and thousands of years of art. Name one secular organization that has brought together the same number of people as religion, or given us the same incentive to treat one another with common decency.

It's not a matter of uniqueness - humans can create art, unify or behave without the benefit of religion. But religion acts as a catalyst to those things, and raises us up to greatness.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Johneboy, as I recall, asked for three examples of how religion has advanced civilization. I gave three examples. Yes, theoretically speaking a secular organization could accomplish those three things - but name one secular agency that has contributed to thousands and thousands of years of art. Name one secular organization that has brought together the same number of people as religion, or given us the same incentive to treat one another with common decency.

It's not a matter of uniqueness - humans can create art, unify or behave without the benefit of religion. But religion acts as a catalyst to those things, and raises us up to greatness.

secular isnt even a *thing* the imagination of the mind is not bound by areas of mentality....again.....im awaiting your three things in which religion has contributed rather than tasks which any human loving *secular* person could do...as for the catalyst that also doesnt hold water as the catalyst for human ingenuity and expression came from spirituality not religion....

And who's jonhboy?...hope its not me!

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

secular isnt even a *thing* the imagination of the mind is not bound by areas of mentality....again.....im awaiting your three things in which religion has contributed rather than tasks which any human loving *secular* person could do...as for the catalyst that also doesnt hold water as the catalyst for human ingenuity and expression came from spirituality not religion....

Alright, you're just ignoring what I have to say.

I never said that religion is this magical thing that makes people do what they otherwise could not. If you believe I said that, I would suggest you reread my posts. What I said was that religion acts as a catalyst for communal greatness. It provides people with a common reference from which to work, which in turn allows civilizations to rise.

But if you are going to disregard my statements, and go, "OMG wtf he's talkin' about religion, he must be st00pid", I'm going to just ignore you.

Oh, and Johneboy was the individual to whom my initial response was addressed. Look to the left side of your screen, scroll up, and you will see him.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Kontagion]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Alright, you're just ignoring what I have to say.

I never said that religion is this magical thing that makes people do what they otherwise could not. If you believe I said that, I would suggest you reread my posts. What I said was that religion acts as a catalyst for communal greatness. It provides people with a common reference from which to work, which in turn allows civilizations to rise.

But if you are going to disregard my statements, and go, "OMG wtf he's talkin' about religion, he must be st00pid", I'm going to just ignore you.

Oh, and Johneboy was the individual to whom my initial response was addressed. Look to the left side of your screen, scroll up, and you will see him.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Kontagion]

Oh well,true colours show...sorry i dont have time for people who give it the old sarcasm instead of debating an important subject.Goodbye

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

#1) Externalization of unconscious knowledge
#2) Catalyst for, and promoter of, abstract thought
#3) Cultural normalization

Having said that, I can tell you that I practice no organized religion.

The hardest thing seems to be to take the emotion out of the argument and look at the facts dispassionately. It's human nature to have an emotional response to something, like pedophile priests, for example, and then proceed to use reason selectively in order to build a picture of "religion" that does not threaten the emotion-based preconceptions. It's one of the most common errors we can make, and it isn't limited to religion.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by applebiter]

[edit on 24-7-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Heb 11:1 To have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see.

Heb 11:6 No one can please God without faith, for whoever comes to God must have faith that God exists and rewards those who seek him.

Joh 20:29 Jesus said to him, "Do you believe because you see me? How happy are those who believe without seeing me!"

plain and simple.. most scientist's (majority) have a Thomas syndrome. Why? because they NEED to SEE (experience) the substance before they believe .. it's in direct contradiction to true religion/relationship

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

That's all well and good, but the thread is specific to religion, and not necessarily to a belief in God. I don't remember any of the posters saying that they were atheists. Maybe they are, but it's beside the point, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Simple a scientist is going to have to prove right or wrong the metaphorical or metaphysical unseen object, quite a feat if you ask me without the evidence, but then again thats a farce.

You will now call scientists, SPIRITOLIGISTS.

Damn Quantum beings anyway.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

You're right.

Also, I think because there too many religions that speak false things to people are making scientists not to believe in God. I'm starting to think of humans as animals to after doing studying somethings in Biology. I think of my brain as something else now. I don't use to think that way. Now, I think I'm an animal. I'm lucky religion is still keeping me on the right track.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Also, I think because there too many religions that speak false things to people are making scientists not to believe in God. I'm starting to think of humans as animals to after doing studying somethings in Biology. I think of my brain as something else now. I don't use to think that way. Now, I think I'm an animal. I'm lucky religion is still keeping me on the right track.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join