It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Limestone quarry gives up clues to an extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This is somewhat out of our area of interest but it is a good example of how catastrophic events leave trails in the rock/sediments.

The death of the oceans

It turns out the rocks point to the likely cause of a mass extinction that has perplexed geologists for years. They tie the great dying to undersea volcanism and eruptions that appear to have wreaked global havoc, depleting the oceans of oxygen and making them so toxic, many marine species went extinct.

Note, in the story, as pointed out by someone else at Bad Astronomy (another website), the writer got the meanings of the words Element and Isotope mixed up.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I read an article about this in a Scientific American for my geology class last semester, it was really interesting The natural cycles of the earth causes so much methane to build up in the atmosphere (through lots of other factors, of course, including marine anoxia throughout the entire ocean itself caused by tons of other things) that basically the entire planet, not just marine life, suffocated. The best thing is evidence suggests that we're nearing that end of the cycle again, and that our current environmental practices may be speeding up what the earth was already going to do to itself.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Huh. That's funny. This is the topic i took for my research essay last fall. Apparently, during one of earth's warm periods, the oceans rose 15+ feet, and the waters turned so noxious that all seabound animals (alone) suffered a severe shock- yes, massively exterminating them all. Mankind's activities are speeding the cycle up, though it seems an unending one anyway. Depressing to think about what will happen one day, to all life left here... but interesting nonetheless. Sciencey things like this fascinate me, how everything is so strung together...
(I suppose that's why i like paranomalcy as well, cause it's also sciencey.)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Mod edit:

Please don't insert a video in place of making a comment. This is a discussion board, not Youtube. Please post your own words instead.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Byrd]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Howdy IvanZana

I hope that wasn't another Youtube video of Elvis impersonators looking for Atlantis in Las Vegas? LOL

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Howdy IvanZana

I hope that wasn't another Youtube video of Elvis impersonators looking for Atlantis in Las Vegas? LOL

That was not only lame but childish. Grow up. Ignorance is so old

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

"It turns out the rocks point to the likely cause of a mass extinction that has perplexed geologists for years. They tie the great dying to undersea volcanism and eruptions that appear to have wreaked global havoc, depleting the oceans of oxygen and making them so toxic, many marine species went extinct.
"

In this next video. Neal Adams show us how the earth and all planets are growing. As you can see in the video how the continents seperated in the middle of the oceans. Either way any type of movement at the Op's scale in the oceans would be devestating to all life on the planet. What a fragile equilibrium.

Very cool

[edit on 21-7-2008 by IvanZana]

[edit on 21-7-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanZana

Really, you mean childish like you posting to threads saying they have been debunked - and then running away without providing proof? Shall I give you a link to where you've done that?

Lighten up IvanZana, LOL

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Howdy IvanZana

What an "interesting" theory that one is. You're kidding right IvanaZana?

So we have a conspiracy - all those evil scientists hiding the truth, but wait why would they do that?

So I note he didn't disprove the Pangea and tectonic plate movement - the narrator just dismiss them.

So where did the trillions and trillions of tons of mass come from to cause the earth to inflate?

Where are the early seas? We know those existed too.

Plus the expansion he shows is bogus. It's adjusted to make it look like they expand into their present position.

Pure non-scientific nonsense but worth a view for the laugh

[edit on 21/7/08 by Hanslune]

new topics

top topics

join