It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown aide a victim of [suspected] honeytrap operation by Chinese agents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Gordon Brown aide a victim of [suspected] honeytrap operation by Chinese agents

www.timesonline.co.uk

A top aide to Gordon Brown has been a suspected victim of a “honeytrap” operation by Chinese intelligence agents.

The aide, a senior Downing Street adviser who was with the prime minister on a trip to China earlier this year, had his BlackBerry phone stolen after being picked up by a Chinese woman who had approached him in a Shanghai hotel disco.

The aide agreed to return to his hotel with the woman. He reported the BlackBerry missing the next morning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is interesting in light of the upcoming Olympic Games. The event happened back in January, but I can't help thinking about how many high profile people will be attending the games next month. It is likely to be a very busy few weeks for Chinese intellegence services...

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Christ almighty help us all!

What the bloody hell was he thinking of? did he not listen to the field boys and girls before he went? didn't it even cross his mind to keep his blackberry and his 'pants' in a different location?

............ for the love of all thats good where do these idiots come from and how the hell do they rise to such positions in life?...

Guess the old sayings true, s### floats to the top every time.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does China seem to be focusing a lot on intelligence gathering lately? I wonder if the recent closed door congressional hearing "meeting" has something to do with their recent snooping. And lets not forget the recent earthquake epicenter of China's biggest underground arsenal
en.epochtimes.com...

This is an interesting read also
www.jamestown.org...
good post by the way

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
This is an interesting read also
www.jamestown.org...
good post by the way

Thanks for posting that link. I think the last paragraph was spot on.

Conclusion:

These cases show that while America is preoccupied with the Global War on Terrorism, a quiet global espionage war is being waged by the PRC. And in many ways, the Chinese espionage threat holds greater overall importance and should be an immediate priority for U.S. foreign policy. Unlike radical terrorist groups, who have been pushed into a corner and are far less capable of coordinated action on a global scale, China’s espionage program is well-funded and its foot soldiers number in the thousands. More important, its targets are not well-defended government facilities and iconic structures, but poorly defended commercial technology secrets that feed America’s economic and military advantage. Taken alone, these bits of information often appear harmless, but when viewed within the context of data collected over the course of years, and sometimes decades, those bits quickly become diamonds in the rough.

Lets hope not everyone is asleep at the wheel....

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hehe am i the only one thinking, that it could just as easily have been a prostitute?

Also, hope your feeling better Dan

sorry for the OT remark, ill shut up now

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rumpiraten

Entirely possible. Thats exactly why I added '[suspected]' to the title. The article suggested a nefarious connection but who really knows? It certainly makes you wonder though....

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yeah it sure does make you wonder, im definetly not ruling out the honeypot angle either

EDIT: Not a one-liner

[edit on 21-7-2008 by rumpiraten]

top topics

join