It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Op-ed on the myth of needing a central government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Found an awesome Op-Ed written by the only local newspaper hack that I actually make it a point to read. He's a fairly well known Libertarian and has authored 2 of the best books I've ever read.

I thought todays article was spot-on, so I thought I would post it for others to check out.

If we had no armed central state to seize money from people against their will and fund the government schools, we'd have no tax-funded government schools.

Which means your public school teacher had a fatal conflict of interest when he or she taught you "why we need to have a central state, with the power to shoot or jail people who don't pay up." I'll bet he or she never mentioned, as one of the reasons, "Because otherwise my paychecks would stop coming."

Be deeply suspicious therefore of most of the reasons you've been given for "why we need a central state." When stop signs are removed and speed limits raised or eliminated -- when people stop depending on the false assurance that such "rules" will bind the drunk and disorderly -- accident rates go down, not up (see John Staddon, in this month's Atlantic.) When more potential crime victims are "allowed" to carry concealed handguns, violent crime rates go down, not up (See John Lott's "More Guns, Less Crime.")

Read the rest

[edit on 20-7-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Well did anyone even bother to read it?

huh huh did ya?

new topics

join