It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing/Murdered Women, Murdered Pregnant Women and the Conspiracy of U.S. Citizens That Allows It

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
My jaw hit the floor just now. Four pages of discussion and men still don't get it.

Throw more statistics at us. What the heck. Copy and paste entire tables telling us how we're full of beans and how lucky we are to be stabbed, shot, strangled, mutilated, and dumped like garbage on a daily basis just for being women.

The litany of excuses and the minimizing of the problem I see in this thread astounds me.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yeah sure men disappear and end up murdered, but most really sadistic pointless attacks are aimed at women.

And while being armed and avoiding vans in parking lots is great and all, most women are most at risk from boyfriends or husbands. Sure some urban areas are more dangerous, but I remember taking a quiz a while back and the main risk factors seemed to be drugs, affairs with married people, high risk jobs, etc... I recall having firearms within reaching distance (15') at home was also benefit (well, for sane people).

Unfortunately I can't find the quiz online anymore. I think it was called "Rate Your Risk of Being Murdered". It was fun.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I know, Sleuth! I can't believe how many dense people there are in this thread.

Lets just look at the thread title for a second:
Missing/Murdered Women, Murdered Pregnant Women and the Conspiracy of U.S. Citizens That Allows It

How can we be accused of minimizing a problem when there is no problem? Yes, women are murdered but is there a conspiracy of US citizens to allow it? Holy crap, just typing that out made me shutter at the ridiculousness of the entire premise. I am not the one making the fatuous claiming that our culture creates this hidden and rampant victimization of women.

You haven't provided one shred of proof that there is a systemic problem within the male subculture!

What the numbers show is the exact opposite of what you understand to be true. Try showing some proof and not just page after page of anecdotal evidence amounting to "I read a horrible story in the news today; I guess the entire country doesn't care" variety.

Spare me the "minimizing" sob story. That is the same exact "I'm a victim" mindset I am trying to stop. I am not in any way minimizing your suffering because I don't agree with the paranoid premise of this thread.

I just want some proof of a nationwide conspiracy to accept the treatment women as prey because from where I stand it simply doesn't exist.

Copy and paste entire tables telling us how we're full of beans and how lucky we are to be stabbed, shot, strangled, mutilated, and dumped like garbage on a daily basis just for being women.

Now they are killed just because they are women? I don't even know how to label tripe like that.

I bet women are murdered for the same (bad) reasons guys are murdered. I very much doubt sexism has anything to do with a majority of murderers thinking.

Jon

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

When was the last time you heard of a man being murdered because he got pregnant? - NEVER. When was the last time you heard of a man being murdered because he left his girlfriend for another woman? - RARE

Restraining orders? How many men are murdered in spite of them? - FEW

I don't think I need to continue. Now we're up to five pages and men still don't get it. Incredible.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoxelI bet women are murdered for the same (bad) reasons guys are murdered. I very much doubt sexism has anything to do with a majority of murderers thinking. Jon

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The result of Woman born to immoral society who is taught by a immoral society what a woman is suppose to be.
how hollywood teaches them which men they should seek and for what reasons.
instead of a spiritual journey they are faced with violent men in a violent society.

the sickness goes on because to All Americans it is accepted as normal and everyday matter of fact.
it is degrading to be American a life of degradation unfolds all around you
moral decay and a society gone stark raven mad.It reminds me of and old song that goes like this

American woman stay away from me
American woman I dont want you hangin round door
American woman stay away form me

On one hand American men think they are the masters
on the other hand American females see themselves as the victims

Canadians in general or the circle I 've known all my life are looking for a 50% balanced relationship
they make their woman feel vulnerable in bead and want a loose woman in bed
but in a social setting they only want to see a lady in front of them

American males feel like woman should service them and they want their woman to look like whores on seventh ave 24/7

our society offer celine dion and America coughs up britney spears
the class difference is startling

I really feel bad for American men they are lost to the spiritual side of a relationship

of course there are exceptions to the rule but they are exceptions

a case in point is the evangelicals they try to take the spiritual route but society still mandates the 60% divorce rate from even them .
Clearly some one is not being fulfilled with divorce rates that high among Christians and it is not a sexual fulfillment that is not satisfied it is a spiritual journey that 2 people embark on when they truly fall in love that is lost in the shuffle in America. settling on less than white knight is ok but insisting on it and ending up with a monster is the penalty you are forced to live with.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by solo1]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The domestic statistic speaks for itself. Nothing further need be said.

Thanks for the chart, Sonya.

[edit on 8/3/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by solo1
American woman stay away from me
American woman I dont want you hangin round door
American woman stay away form me

Yeah I have noticed a pattern to your posts, in this thread and others. You don't like Americans and you aren't too fond of women either. Rest assured, this American woman would not want to have anything to do with you.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

Then Lance, I guess you didn't read all of the thread, or even half of it.

thanks for categorizing me at your pleasure, if you feel good about that, it's ok, after all, it wouldn't serve any purpose if it did not.

The issue is "Women as the Main Prey in Society"....

main prey? by number of violent deaths? tell me what kind of criterion you base this assertion on, please.

The point is WHY do men, of any group or niche in society, get the idea that it's ok to off their spouse, girlfriend, teen girl that lives down the street they are lusting after....why is that?

how do you know what they believe? i don't see what kind of difference it makes in the outcome, tbh and if, f-ex. someone is shot by a mugger because the victim 'gave a funny look' it wouldn't concern you much if the perp believed it was 'OK'. i don't get that point, sorry.

It's unbelievable that still this thread has posts like yours and others defending men and why they kill us women...oh so if it's a "gang-banger" that justifies it in your eyes? A serial killer, well gee he's outside of the society norm so he doesn't count??

i never defended anything, please don't put words in my mouth. i still maintain that judging from the posts of yours and Sleuth's, you were concerned about strangers attacking you in public places than your violence by people you're familiar with. Sleuth focused on domestic violence only. most of my posts were responses to hers.

i have no idea why you are attacking me and what for. i don't need to either, it's your call finding out why you accused me of defending murder, which i consider both insolent and uncalled for. baseless hatemail, that's what it was.

the question was whether fear in public places was caused by strangers or people close to you. the answer is of course obvious.

I can't believe that there are men on ATS here posting that "Hey women gt away with murder, women are serial killers too you know...shucks men die more violently then women etc etc "

Give me a break

As Sleuth said, you're doing nothing more then making excuses for the facts here.

i'm not excusing anything, Sleuth ascked a simple enough question:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Sleuth
Did you read any of the other posts at all? This thread is about domestic violence against women by men. We are asking for the specific statistic that details how many men are killed by women in domestic situations. The point is that far more women are killed by men than men by women in domestic situations.

so i dug up that few links. if you wish to feel offended i would like to see a clarification as to why. from what i read in this reply alone, you are simply disappointed that someone posted things which you did not expect and/or desire to see, for whatever reason. what your'e doing is called 'ad hominem attack. btw.

PS: i can't stress this enough if you continue your baseless tirades i'll shelve you as a nut, delete this thread from my subscriptions and be done with it.

[edit on 2008.8.4 by Long Lance]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The litany of excuses and the minimizing of the problem I see in this thread astounds me.

Who excused What, When and Where ?

i expect an concise Answer to that question. in fact it seems as if both of you were trying to leverage a disturbing issue with the express purpose to go on a manhunt (pun intended). you've made up your minds long ago. nevermind the real nature of violence against women, btw.

again, you focused on domestic violence. my question was

Originally posted by Long Lance
i have one more question, whom are you're afraid of in public places? your ex who's trying to 'slit your throat and dump you along the highway' or gang-bangers, serial killers, iow total strangers. if it's the latter, i wonder why you focused on domestic violence.

did you miss it or was i 'unworthy' of attention beyond bashing? what kind of game are you playing anyway?

as the last time you heard of a man being murdered because he got pregnant? - NEVER. When was the last time you heard of a man being murdered because he left his girlfriend for another woman? - RARE

Restraining orders? How many men are murdered in spite of them? - FEW

I don't think I need to continue. Now we're up to five pages and men still don't get it. Incredible.

reread that first line please...

so, please elucidate the reasons why pregnant women are murderd more often. i'd like to know, IF you will bother to post more than just rants, how many of them disappear altogetherm my hunch is yes, they are, because, whether you like it or not, not all violence is domestic, not all of it is sexist, either. you did not appear very open to the idea in the past so i'll leave it at that, it's clear enough from my first post in this thread.

what i don't get is why you single out a category at your leisure and the claim one motive was worse than the other. do you contest statistics posted by Voxel? does it really matter so much what the killer thinks? outside investigative work, of course.

we are in fact talking about two very different things here:

The domestic statistic speaks for itself. Nothing further need be said.

Thanks for the chart, Sonya.

you're more concerned with the aspect of betrayed trust rather than the death of a victim. wrt the chart, totals would be much more meaningful, though, because less risk in these other situation automatically translates into higher incidence in the remaining two, on a percent scale.

[edit on 2008.8.4 by Long Lance]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

I am stunned by the level of incomprehension here. All I care about is the women. The statistic has been necessarily illustrated for the slow and the resistant.

All you are doing is emphasizing the "poor me" position of the men, as if men need to worry in the same way that women do.

I don't see clothes being torn off men, breasts and other privates slashed and otherwise violated. It does happen, but not on the same scale as women suffer these indignities. Women are often intentionally humiliated as an aspect of the power angle.

I'm a certified sex crimes investigator from WAY back. I'm seeing some stuff that Samenow would love to sink his teeth into.

No wonder we women are disappearing left and right and our children are being cut from our wombs. Even those men who don't prey on us do not understand the dynamic we face every day.

I shudder for our daughters and their daughters after them. Centuries of ingrained sexism are alive and well and just beneath the surface.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Regarding the "conspiracy". Most women are murdered by boyfriends/husbands, they CHOOSE to associate with these men. There is no conspiracy, they are stupid women that fall for violent thugs and then get surprised when the beast they were sleeping with attacks and kills them.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I too am stunned by the level of incomprehension here.

No wonder we women are disappearing left and right and our children are being cut from our wombs. Even those men who don't prey on us do not understand the dynamic we face every day.

Geez, there you go off the deep end again. Do you live in your own personal tabloidian sensationalist world?

What the numbers show and what the reality is that women are not disappearing left and right. All you have done in this thread is complain that people are either too dumb or too apologetic of their gender simply because they disagree with your belief system. You have provided no evidence and no rational for why you seem to believe that our culture places women in such constant danger throughout their entire lives.

What you understand to be true is not what most other people, including the several women I have consulted about this issue, understand to be true about our society.

You may think I am naive and I may think you are paranoid, but at least I have tried to show some evidence for why I believe there isn't a problem. I am ready to accept that I might very well not be right on this issue but you aren't saying anything to convince me.

I'm a certified sex crimes investigator from WAY back.

Now we get to the crux of it. You are too close to the subject matter to be objective. It goes far to explain your contentless rants against the horrible culture we have in the country.

This is a common problem with murder investigators. They start to see everyone as a potential murderer. Many murder investigators end needing some form of counseling because they very often end up with a form of PTSD. When you immerse yourself day in and day out in something it becomes your world - it changes the way you think and react to stimulus.

In your years of sex crimes investigations, how many cases did you investigate? How large was the population of the area you investigated in? I am asking because I want to know what the percentage of horrible people there are in your part of the world.

Yes, there are undeniably screwed up people who make up about 2% of the population at most. Does that mean that the whole culture is broken? Does this mean there is some conspiracy?

I'm seeing some stuff that Samenow would love to sink his teeth into.

You used the present tense. Do you mean stuff in this thread? If so, that is an extremely passive-aggressive way to label the people with other opinions from your own.

Originally posted by Sonya610
Most women are murdered by boyfriends/husbands, they CHOOSE to associate with these men. There is no conspiracy...

You make a good point (one that I was reluctant to make) about women choosing the murderer associate more often than not. If anything, the conspiracy is one of womens' making. Why do women keep dating/marrying people capable of cold-blooded murder and yet I have trouble finding a nice girl?

Finally, Sonya610 thanks for the graph which I understand to validate my point about are women being killed for roughly the same reasons guys are.

Sure there are variances, but to claim that women are preyed on by men because of the higher domestic argument murder rate is equivalent to the bogus claim that drunk men prey on other men because of the correspondingly higher alcohol murder rate.

Jon

[edit on 8.4.2008 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I don't think men who have never been raped or let alone been informed that they COULD be raped, in most situations, will ever understand something like women's fear of strangers at night.
Just as nobody who has never seen/been in an abusive relationship will understand why "the woman chose that guy" (they don't TELL us they're abusive, you know)
And yes, men can be the one abused in a relationship.
But it doesn't happen nearly as often (no, using your money doesn't qualify as abuse unless they beat you up to get said money, no, "driving you crazy" with mood swings, etc, does not count as abuse)

And you can sure as hell guarantee that no man (other than that one who just had a baby???) could EVER understand why even ONE woman in the entire world getting a baby cut out of her uterus by someone other than a doctor performing a c-section would affect almost 100% of us the way it does.

Just as nobody in Western countries can understand what women in Africa(and other places) go through, just as nobody who hasn't been abused as a child can know what it's like, just as I can't tell you how much it hurts to be kicked in the balls.
But I can sure as hell tell you how painful it *looks*

And how can men explain away how even police officers and other authority figures would teach young girls to yell "fire" instead of "rape" because nobody responds to "rape"?
If nothing else in this thread convinces you, us being informed by the people who are sworn to protect us should show you that SOMETHING is wrong.
ANYONE being raped is a problem.
Regardless of if it's a man raping a woman, or a man.
Regardless of if it's a woman raping a woman, or a man (I know most of you will laugh, but it's possible, you don't need to be consenting to get hard, its a physical response)
And another thing, you don't see shelters for men recovering from being abused by women. Gee, I wonder why.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Finally, Sonya610 thanks for the graph which I understand to validate my point about are women being killed for roughly the same reasons guys are.

Thanks for the kind words, I try to be fair. But no, women are generally NOT killed for the same reasons that men are.

I see both sides of the argument. Men are roughly 3.5 times as strong as women, and yes as a female it IS a concern. So many men these days have the attitude of "why are women complaining? why don't they just take kick boxing lessons or something?" and it infuriates me.

Many women live under the constant awareness that we ARE weaker and other people KNOW that and plenty are willing to take advantage of it. There are lots of people, even just petty thieves, that see the world as predator and prey and a human that is significantly weaker is PREY.

To make it worse many of us know if something does happen chances are NO one will help, no men will step in, we will be on our own.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I really hope I am not coming off as an evil bastard in this thread, it is not my intent. I think I am starting to understand the myriad of sensitive issues this thread is bringing up that are only tangentially related to the premise of the OP and specifically the thread title. This thread has become about a couple of different topics and it makes it difficult to know where, exactly, the disagreement(s) lie(s).

I wish I could be more concise but this is such a complex topic.

Originally posted by BiohazardsBack
..*SNIP*..
Just as nobody in Western countries can understand what women in Africa(and other places) go through, just as nobody who hasn't been abused as a child can know what it's like, just as I can't tell you how much it hurts to be kicked in the balls.
But I can sure as hell tell you how painful it *looks*

OK, I get it - we can't know how you feel during any of these times. You have to understand that just like you can empathize with man being "balled" men can empathize with everything you just wrote. We know pain and we know fear.

What I am trying to understand is why you fear things that shouldn't be fearful or are fearful of things that haven't yet (and statistically won't) happen to you.

The way I see it, authority figures, by warning you repeatedly and strongly at a younger age in an environment of only other girls, cause fear, anxiety, and confusion that many young minds may be unable to place into the proper perspective. I can see how a young mind struggling to understand and cope this new information and the feelings it elicits can be susceptible to phobias and neuroses which may persist throughout their entire life. Separating the genders just reinforces, subconsciously, the assumption that it is only "you" that has to worry about being alone in public, that only "you" can be a victim, and that only "you" have to be afraid.

I do think a better way to instruct children would be a more generalized course aimed at instructing both genders in a mixed gender-environment to be aware of their environment and be wary of all people. Having the genders together would foster empathy in men for the potential plight of women. At the same time, it might help to stave off the "victim gender" that I feel is reinforced by the current way of teaching.

And how can men explain away how even police officers and other authority figures would teach young girls to yell "fire" instead of "rape" because nobody responds to "rape"?

And how can women explain away why women don't help other women when they hear "rape!"? You know, there is another whole 50% of the population in earshot that doesn't seem to want to help either. Funny that. People regardless of their gender are selfish. News at 5.

Don't give me that "but we're weaker so we can't help" crap either. It is actually called fear and while we make every effort to hide it, men have fear too. If I was alone in a bad part of town and I heard someone yelling "rape!" I would probably not get involved because I don't want to get stabbed or shot for someone I don't know involved in a circumstance beyond my control and understanding. Is that cowardice? When was the last time you helped someone at potentially the cost of your life? That is simply human nature.

In these situations, gender biases are a benefit to women. I would be 100 times more likely to help a woman than a guy. The guy yelling anything other than "fire!" would receive no assistance from the average Joe on the street. Well, perhaps a guy yelling "free beer!" would garner even more assistance.

Let us get back to why you should yell "fire!". There are some very good reasons why yelling "fire!" is more effective than "rape!" and not a one of them have to do with the wanton disregard for women within our culture.

• Have you ever seen a building burning? Did you notice that there was a crowd gathered 'round? Even without the intent to help, people will gather at the scene of a fire. Have you ever heard of people gathering to watch a rape in progress? How many rapes would continue with a crowd gathering?
  • A "rape!" is an assault; a confrontation. All human society exists because we have a genetic and cultural mandate to avoid conflict as much as possible. This is precisely why we take the act of baring teeth, which is considered confrontational by every animal including our closest relatives, and turn it into a good thing. Yet, a "fire!" is simply an event. All people will actively avoid confrontations and seek out events.

In the end, the reasons for yelling "fire!" and not "rape!" are not out of a general disregard for women or any else so disturbing. It is the result of human (both male and female) psychology and the way are naturally wired and socially conditioned.

And another thing, you don't see shelters for men recovering from being abused by women. Gee, I wonder why.

Because society, including the women, is sexist. People generally don't think the problem exists or that it is such an insignificant number but it does and in far larger numbers than you would imagine. For example, the average guy has a very hard time getting a restraining order on a woman. Most guys won't even try (which is partly societal and partly male bravado.)

Even the guys who do tell, generally receive no help. I knew a guy who tried to get a restraining order on this one dangerous girl (he wasn't even dating her anymore at the time) for three different instances where she threatened him with violence. Each time the police made him feel like he was wrong and an idiot for wasting their time by filing a police report.

Eventually, she tried to run him over with a car after an argument ended during which he told her to leave his property. When he got out of the hospital, he was served with a restraining order that she got on him because "She feared reciprocity." Gee, I wonder why?

Jon

[edit on 8.5.2008 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I am stunned by the level of incomprehension here. All I care about is the women. The statistic has been necessarily illustrated for the slow and the resistant.

All you are doing is emphasizing the "poor me" position of the men, as if men need to worry in the same way that women do...

slow and resistant.. i'm certainly resistant to this kind of shifting argument, but i'm by no means slow to identify it. so, yeah, keep slinging insults if you're unable to discuss anything other than your pet peeves and (constantly changing) point of view.

poor me? huh? where did you see that? i just hope total murder statistics do not lie and pointing them out does not mean i attach any personal bias or emotion to the facts.

don't see clothes being torn off men, breasts and other privates slashed and otherwise violated. It does happen, but not on the same scale as women suffer these indignities. Women are often intentionally humiliated as an aspect of the power angle.

so, by that logic now only mutilated, murdered victims really count? sorry, unless mutilation is a common occurance (double digit percentages and more?) i don't see why a discussion on missing, murdered women should focus on it.

you never expanded on the Missing aspect i might add and i'll have to ask you again, in your opinion how many women who went missing were kidnapped and murdered by people close to them? is focusing on domestic violence really the smart thing to do, especially considering that a Missing person will not show up in any of these charts, because the reason is nbot yet known?

do you believe that every single man is secretely awaiting a chance to

'cut a child from a woman's womb' ?

'even those men who don't prey on us'

heck, so i'm now the exception? are you serious? it's time to look the facts in the eye, crime is a for-profit enterprise for the most part. your insistance on tarring men with the broadest available violent brush is both irrational and self-defeating.

btw, the dynamic you're talking about is quite real, as your reaction clearly illustrates, it's just very different from what you think it is and as long as you're unwilling to approach it in a more differentiated way, you will be mired in paranoia against the wrong people while being unaware of other threats, which are less controllable.

speaking of which. in domestic violence, the term 'abuser' was coined for a reason, usually they don't start out killing their wives or girlfriends, do they? so there's a warming. in the case of strangers, chances are there is none. can you now understand where i'm coming from?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
"What I am trying to understand is why you fear things that shouldn't be fearful or are fearful of things that haven't yet (and statistically won't) happen to you. "
(now, granted, I don't live in the U.S, but the statistics are easier to find, and will apply to more people on this board than Canada's stats)

oak.cats.ohiou.edu...

"In the United States, 1.3 women are raped every minute. That results in 78 rapes each hour, 1872 rapes each day, 56160 rapes ech month and 683,280 rapes each year.
1 out of every 3 American women will be sexually assulted in her lifetime.
The United States has the world's highest rape rate of the countries that publish such statistics. It's 4 times higher than Germany, 13 times higher than England, and 20 times higher than Japan.
1 in 7 women will be raped by her husband.
83% of rape cases are ages 24 or under.
1 in 4 college women have either been raped or suffered attempted rape.
1 in 12 males students surveyed had commited acts that met the legal definition of rape. Furthermore, 84% of the men who had commited such acts said what they had done was definitely not rape.
75% of male students and 55% of female students involved in acquintance rape had been drinking or using drugs.
Only 16% of rapes are ever reported to the police. "

So a 1 in 3 chance "statistically won't" happen to me?
Try telling that to my best friend, or any of the other rape victims I know.
The 2 that were closest to me never reported it, one of them was only 12 when it happened to her repeatedly.
And you just try telling me it "statistically won't happen to me" in person, because I have been trapped in an abusive relationship before, and I don't appreciate people assuming it doesn't happen.

"21.6% were younger than age 12 when they were first raped, and 32.4% were between the ages of 12 and 17. (Full Report of the Prevalence, Incidence, and Consequences of Violence Against Women, Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey, November, 2000)

64% of women who reported being raped, physically assaulted, and/or stalked since age 18 were victimized by a current or former husband, cohabiting partner, boyfriend, or date. (Full Report of the Prevalence, Incidence, and Consequences of Violence Against Women, Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey, November, 2000)

In the National Violence Against Women Survey, approximately 25% of women and 8% of men said they were raped and/or physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, cohabiting partner, or date in their lifetimes. The survey estimates that more than 300,000 intimate partner rapes occur each year against women 18 and older. (Full Report of the Prevalence, Incidence, and Consequences of Violence Against Women, Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey, November, 2000) (so that's 3 times as often for men being the abuser than women, if we assume that only opposite-sex relationships were surveyed)

Factoring in unreported rapes, about 5% - one out of twenty - of rapists will ever spend a day in jail. 19 out of 20 will walk free. (Probability statistics based on US Department of Justice Statistics)

Almost two-thirds of all rapes are committed by someone who is known to the victim. 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger (— 38% of perpetrators were a friend or acquaintance of the victim, 28% were an intimate and 7% were another relative.) (National Crime Victimization Survey, 2005)

(and just for perspective)
Domestic violence occurs in approximately 25-33% of same-sex relationships. (NYC Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project, October 1996.)
In eastern and souther Africa, 17 to 22% of girls aged 15 to 19 are HIV-positive, compared to 3 to 7% of boys of similar age. This pattern—seen in many other regions of the world—is evidence that girls are being infected with HIV by a much older cohort of men. (UNICEF/UNAIDS 2007)

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
bringing up South Africa, the rape capital of the world does not have much to do with the situation in the west, i hope. infecting girls with AIDS certainly counts as murder, though, so it is at least half on topic.

these (mainly US) statistics are deplorable, for sure, what i am missing is an explanation for the vast differences. perpetrators' backgrounds are at least as important as the victims'. where is the difference between these Nations and how much of it can be attributed to different recording of sex crimes. i for one would have expected to see the UK higher up that list, for some reason, probably the Greater London area which appears to be continuously making headlines due to all sorts of crime.

if 55% of all reported rape victims were drunk or drugged i makes me wonder what really happened. hindsight is a powerful instrument, which can be used to rationalize if one's own behaviour no longer seems viable. i also wonder how two snotted people could make any informed decision, let alone reliably recollect what happened.

75% of male students and 55% of female students involved in acquintance rape had been drinking or using drugs.
Only 16% of rapes are ever reported to the police. "

i wonder how one could with any certainty say what wasn't reported. i don't doubt for one second that many sex crims go unreported, because much of the burden of proof lies on the victim's shoulders, it's just unlikely one could give such an accurate figure.

www.brusselsjournal.com...

The number of rapes in the Norwegian capital Oslo is six times as high as in New York City. I’ve written about the issue of rape and Muslim immigration so many times that I am, quite frankly, a bit tired of the subject. But as we all know, problems don’t disappear just because you are tired of talking about them, so here goes.

There has been an explosive increase in the number of rape charges in the city of Oslo, but both the media and the authorities consistently refuse to tell us why. They did do so, however, in 2001, when two out of Norway's three largest newspapers, Aftenposten and Dagbladet, reported that most of these rape charges involve an immigrant perp, which again mostly means Muslims. Both newspapers have since then conveniently “forgotten” about this, and have never connected the issue to Muslim immigration although the number of rape charges has continued to rise to historic levels. They are thus at best guilty of extreme incompetence, since their former articles about this issue are still available online.

keeping the above in mind, i wonder how much the ratio of violence by strangers versus domestic varies with location. such things tend to get lost in lobal statistics, but they are most certainly useful for determining underlying motivations, risk factors and the like.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

Aftenposten and Dagbladet, reported that most of these rape charges involve an immigrant perp, which again mostly means Muslims.

Yeah but those “Muslims” are typically NOT from the middle east, or from Asian Muslim countries. It is okay to say “Muslim” but it is not okay to specify the racial makeup of the rapists.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join