It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden cities in America?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Are there any hidden cities in America that aren't on the map and can't be accessed by ordinary means?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I would imagine that there are many lost cities remaining to be found in the U.S. If theres been any found recently by credible explorers I'm sure they would have been revealed. Like you curosity on the matter. Secret cities are very interesting.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Gotham City and Metropolis. Sorry, but if you are looking for Silent Hill it doesn't exist. (well there is a town like it but there's no gateway to another dimension in it.)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Is there such a thing as posting a reply without the nonsense? Everyone wants to be a comedian. I don't believe the question was refering to anything supernatural but exactly what he was asking. Does anybody have an idea if there are any hidden cities in the U.S? Or maybe someone has info the subject...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well there was Petoria...founded by Peter Griffin, but it lost its status as a country, I think.

Oh, you said hidden cities within the US, not countries...my bad.

[edit on 7/20/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Ummmmmm........ Area 51

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I believe there are. I believe that there are underground cities all over the world that government(s?) has set up for various nefarious misdeeds that cannot be done anyplace as obvious as on the planets surface.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
True, you can't enter Area 51 by oridinary means. Well maybe if you are an Alien who has a Top Secret clearance you can gain entry.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There's a fairly good program on the Histroy Channel that deals with hidden, secret, or built over cities and places all over the world.
I think the title is Cities of the Underworld or something.
There are plenty of places in the continental US that fit the bill, for the most part they are kept off limits though, mostly because of safety hazards. However I'm sure if you find the places you could find some sort of guide.
Generally, there are a fair few cities out west that were abandoned when the gold dried up, most have been built over, or are maintained as historic sites, or been redone for entertainment purposes.
Personally, ever since I've started reading the Dresden files I've wanted a look at underground Chicago. ^^;
Seriously, what's so hard about taking this seriously?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Look for ghost towns. They are complete towns that for one reason or another were abandoned. When Interstate 40 was completed and traffic along Route 66 was rerouted, many ghost towns and soon-to-be ghost towns occured. Old mining towns? Same thing. Old nuclear test sites? Just put on one of those astronaut suits that magically protects astronauts from the radiation in the Van Allen belt and the place is yours. On a side note: if you find a really good one, come back and let us know.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

"Not on the map" is a hard criteria to meet. Otherwise, the town of Mercury, Nevada would fit the bill.

As someone stated, there are plenty of ghost towns, though it is the opposite of what I think you are looking for. Silverbow is the ghost town near the Tonopah Test Range, and once you visit it, you wonder why they bothered to put a sign there.

There is a town in Northern California called Bolinas that doesn't want to be found. The state would put up a sign indicating the edge of town, and the town folk would take it down. Last I heard, the state gave up. I can't say I ever saw the sign when I invaded their town. So it is on the map, but no signs when you get there.

Since I've digressed, there was a rumor that Martha Stewart was going to move to Bolinas. No, this will never do! People will know we exist! So the locals pasted "Stop Martha Stewart" bumper stickers on the stop signs in town. I guess that made Martha feel uneasy, so she never moved there. Bill Clinton visited the town as a guess of Susie Tompkins (clothing milionare), and the town was furious with all the USSS hanging around.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This might be helpful in what you're looking for:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

that's totally accurate. i live in norcal and they have an excessive sense of "localism" in bolinas. it's pretty gross actually.

on topic, this is a very good question. i know of neighborhoods that are only accessible by aircraft. (no street access for vehicles), but it's not "off the map".

interesting.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I dont know if this fits into the category of city but i remember hearing of a large town off of rt 80 on the border of pennslyvania and NJ. It was abandoned during the late 70s because they were going to make a reservoir that never came to be. The whole town was painted bright white before they abandond the project. Supposedly its still there.

There is tons of sites out there with pics and links to large abandoned sites. Check out weirdnj.com and it should have links to most other states. IE: weirdaz.com etc

Great Post by the way! flagged

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Dudleytown in CT is kind of worth checking out for you, maybe.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm sure in the WORLD there are many hidden cities.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Dudleytown in CT is kind of worth checking out for you, maybe.

I've read from the book "Weird US" and "Weird New England" or one of those, they have stories of Dudleytown. I don't live to far from there, just one county away. I've read it's a very haunted place, wonder if anyone ever goes there anymore.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Monsterenergy791

I've been by the entrance a few times. I have never gone in though, tons of no trespassing signs. The people who live there will call the cops and you will get arrested. They dont take it lightly. From the pics ive seen there isnt much to see anyway, just a few stone foundations.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Makes you think they're hiding something.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I know New York City and Chicago have a massive amount of tunnels and underground areas, many closed off to the public (for safety reasons). In the TV movie sequel to "The Night Stalker", the city of Seattle has a big underground area with many old structures in it. I don't know how accurate it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join