It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook and Tracking us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just changed my name on facebook (just my last name slightly, keeping the same pronunciation) so that it is harder for me to be tracked.

On the change name screen the first rule is:

1. Your Facebook profile must be attached to your real name.

So millions upon millions of people out there are registered on facebook, a giant network linking people's REAL IDS together in one server where up and coming sheeple gladly hand over tons of personal information in their profiles and tag each other in photos and videos of recent social activities, and everything is saved and can be searched and tracked. Facebook is also known to share your information to other corporations and collects tons of social data like what kind of people like what kind of movies etc.

The main question is not if facebook CAN track and data-farm us, but whether or not facebook IS doing so.

Quotes from the Privacy Policy of facebook:

The Information We Collect

When you visit Facebook you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site.

You post User Content (as defined in the Facebook Terms of Use) on the Site at your own risk. Although we allow you to set privacy options that limit access to your pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other Users with whom you may choose to share your pages and information. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that User Content you post on the Site will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site. You understand and acknowledge that, even after removal, copies of User Content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other Users have copied or stored your User Content.

www.facebook.com...

So some other questions are:

Is facebook not a sketchy system?

Does/will facebook give your information to Fedgov?

Is facebook fully searchable by Fedgov?

Is facebook a part of the Total Information Awareness program?
en.wikipedia.org...

Is facebook potentially worse than the Real ID act?
en.wikipedia.org...

I encourage everyone to subtly change their names on facebook, or to not use it at all.

Also, consider this a call for information on any dirt you can find on facebook!

[Kind of off Subject]
Nothing has collected more social data in such a short amount of time than facebook, which is still steadily growing, with more stuff to gauge you with, i.e. the applications in which new ones are made every day. The more data there is on the "rules" of human societal interaction, norms, expectations, paradigms, etc, the easier it is to control and manipulate the society. For example, greed and arrogance are long known to be natural human tendencies and "they" (the NWO, Illuminati, Empire of the City, Shadow Government, or whatever you want to call them) have always used them against us, to manipulate the masses.

For instance ignorance is encouraged by playing on arrogance. That's why to blacklist subjects from the scrutiny of the dumb masses, the media always attempts to ridicule the subject, to play upon people's arrogance, to make them feel superior to that subject, and therefore they will never look into it. This includes conspiracy theories in general (where conspiracy theorists are always presented as nutjobs and crazies), the 9/11 Truth Movement (in which the media uses strawman tactics to set up false theories and say that 9/11 truth believes in them and then attack those theories, and also playing on people's arrogance against conspiracy theory), Ron Paul (made his supporters sound like conspiracy theorists, who are in turn "crazy", also always under-represented the number of his supporters; basically, the media killed his campaign). So instead of looking into these subjects and finding out for themselves, the people remain ignorant.

To make this short, the main reason people do not even look into conspiracy theories is that they feel that they are somehow superior to those who do. Because "conspiracy theories are stupid" or "for crazy paranoid people". Another form of arrogance is the fear of "looking bad" in front of peers by subscribing to a conspiracy theory, no matter how legit it may be, such as 9/11 and JFK. And all this stems from just playing people's natural arrogance against them. I don't even want to get into the manipulation of people's greed.

Ironically, I have also posted this as a facebook note.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by italkyoulisten]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Lots of discussion on this topic.
Here's a great place to start reading.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

Good point. I have been on Facebook for about two years, just use it to stay networked with old classmates. I never thought of it like that, they do use your real name, they probably say it's easier to find you, but something more sinister could be in the works. MySpace doesn't enforce this policy at all.

If I am not mistaken, they were bought by Google.

Why Facebook is scarier than google

Facebook IS already another Google, in fact, seeking to control, for-its own-corporations’ profit motives, all the world’s personal information.

When you visit Facebook you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site.

When you register with Facebook, you provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, your email address, your telephone number, your address, your gender, schools attended and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us.

ZDNET

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Changed my name quite some time ago! Best to be safe when it comes to these damn "social networking" sites.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I will definitely have more than a looksee here.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Scary vid. I first saw it a few months ago

EDIT: Damn embedding never works for me

Heres the link
youtube.com...

Skip to 2:10 to see the connections of facebook to the CIA and DARPA and the Information Awareness Office

Public criticism of the Information Awareness Office

Extensive criticism of the IAO in the traditional media and on the Internet has come from both the left and the right—from civil libertarians and libertarians—who believe that massive information aggregation and analysis technologies lead to a form of dataveillance that can threaten individual liberties. Such a system of surveillance is a necessary component of a strong totalitarian state. Others believe that development of these technologies is inevitable and that designing systems and policies to control their use is a more effective strategy than simple opposition that has resulted in research and development projects migrating into classified programs.
On November 27, 2002, San Francisco Weekly columnist Matt Smith decided to illustrate the perils of information proliferation to the IAO director, Adm. John Poindexter, by disclosing Poindexter's private home address and phone number, as well as those of Poindexter's next-door neighbors. This information quickly propagated through the Internet, and some protesters created web sites republishing this and other personal data.[26]
[edit]Conspiracy Theories

The IAO's originally adopted logo, particularly the eye and pyramid, has long been associated with the symbolism of the Illuminati in various conspiracy theories surrounding the alleged New World Order. Interestingly the motto, scientia potentia est, was first stated by Sir Francis Bacon. Sir Francis Bacon's connection to various secret societies, particularly the Freemasons, has often been suggested and discussed[27]. Some suggestions even go as far to say he was once a leader within the Freemasons. Connections between the IAO and the popular social networking site Facebook have been also suggested as a hidden continuation of the programs intention to collect information on citizens. Theorists point out that the privacy policy of Facebook has raised many concerns about possible data-mining and that the relationships of persons funding Facebook shows close ties to peoples previously involved in the IAO. A short flash video released onto the internet called: "Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the Facebook" - talks of these connections calling for public awareness on the issue and discussing implications. Theorists also point out that the initials I.A.O are also used as a magical formula in the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, a notable and influential member of which was Aleister Crowley. Aleister Crowley claimed himself to be a Freemason, although this has been disputed. [28]

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 20-7-2008 by ben420]

[edit on 20-7-2008 by ben420]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

Wow. I knew facebook would have connections to DARPA and the IAO!! Holy sh!t! The scariest quote from the privacy policy thus far:

Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources, such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (e.g., photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a more personalized experience.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

"Facebook" does sound an awful lot like "CIA Factbook". I guess there's no points to be given for originality of the name!

It's pretty easy to sign up using a fake name, but if you use an email address that's associated with your web surfing habits, I guess the Facebook PTB can track down additional info about you, if not directly associated with your real name? Hmm... I don't like that.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This must be new as I have not seen this recently. Look up your name or your friends name in Google and most likely your name will be on the first page and on top in Google with Facebook showing your name.
Ohh and I don't use their garbage either.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by 38181]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I dont use that crap.. myspace, facebook, all of them I dont use..

I dont understand why people just dont pay 8 or 10 bucks a month for a site and just show there crap there..

On another note...

I got this running in my MSN messenger

Got Facebook Then watch this. albumoftheday.com...

I picked the link up on ATS a while ago and its been in my messenger.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Well, it's all free (except for the internet itself). That's why facebook is so big. People, especially students like and want to be connected. Everyone wants to be individual and show their individuality, but it comes with a hidden price, which is the price of privacy.

Another good site that shows the relationship between Facebook, In-Q-TEL, and the CIA:

www.brainsturbator.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Check out the CBS 60 Minutes piece. I'm sure that you guys will notice how evasive the "CEO" is with certain questions. It's no wonder, given the little we know.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
For this reason i got rid of my facebook...i dont use any of these sights. I know its a tracking tool...its freaking obvious. A smart way to market and monitor the population??

new topics

top topics

join