It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa's women last and least in food crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Africa's women last and least in food crisis

www.msnbc.msn.com

A year ago, before food prices nearly doubled, Lingani would have had three meals a day of meat, rice and vegetables. Now two mouthfuls of bland mush would have to do her until tomorrow.

Rubbing her red-rimmed eyes, chewing lightly on a twig she picked off the ground, Lingani gave the last of her food to the children.

"I'm not hungry," she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Lingani swept until the sun came up, pushing her piles onto a small metal dish, then dumping them into a wheelbarrow and finally into a pothole on an unpaved side street.

By 7 a.m., she'd finished her section. But she had to wait an hour for a male supervisor to show up and check her work. In two weeks, she would get her monthly pay of less than $10.

This makes me so sad that women live like this. Even those in Mexico don't have it so bad. I guess THIS woman is where our rising costs, and food for fuel, hits the hardest.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-7-2008 by LostNemesis]

[edit on 20-7-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
while it may be true to an extent

Africa's women is a super-duper-massive generalzation.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
While you could be right that the woman in this story could be used as a generalization, to give the impression that this is how all women there live, there probably is many more just like her that are suffering.

This story was sad, but you are right, generalization to make us think this is how they all live, or ....?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well in some African cultures the women starve for the benefit of their children, but it is also pretty common for them to let the kids starve first. They will even bring their starving babies to aid camps to secure food for "the family".

It is actually VERY common, the media and aid organizations just don't like to talk about it. It is not pc.

www.etext.org...

Riding on the back of a pickup truck into Liboi camp just east of Dagahaley, regional camp coordinator Gail Neudorf of Vancouver, B.C., pointed to a group of men standing and talking.

"Look at those men. Do you see anybody malnourished? No," she said. "That's because the men eat first, the women eat next, then the children eat -- if there's anything left after the animals eat. That's what really hurts: The animals eat before the children." It makes sense for survival in the nomadic culture. But not now."

--------

"She will come and say, `My child died.' But really, the mother or father has pushed with one hand over the child's eyes, and put the other over the mouth," Miss Martel said. "I've talked to doctors who have seen it done. They say the baby doesn't fight at all. "Apparently they figure why give medicine to my child -- she's hopeless -- when others can be saved."

Here is a yahoo news article...notice how they talk "around" the ugly facts and do NOT go into the reasons why it is unusual for grown men to starve...

www.wtop.com...

SHASHAMANE, Ethiopia - But Usheto is not the typical face of Ethiopia's chronic food problems, the scrawny baby or the ailing toddler. At age 55, he is among a growing number of adults and older children — traditionally less-vulnerable groups — who have been stricken by severe hunger due to poor rains and recent crop failure in southern Ethiopia, health workers say.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Whichever way you look at it, the entire Africa campaign is one of depopulation. It is sickening and Africa is overlooked by so many it breaks my heart. Rich in so many resources, it been ravaged by TPTB for so many countries, and then everything is put down to cultural and tribal warfares, but the overt manipulation is suppressed. One of the disclosures predicted that within 10 years, 90% of Africa would be depopulated.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
One of the disclosures predicted that within 10 years, 90% of Africa would be depopulated.

What??? Please cite the source that predicts Africa will lose 90% of its population in the next 10 years. Everything I have read contradicts that. I would truly love to know where you have heard this bit of information.

www.paulchefurka.ca...

According to the United Nations 2004 Estimate (medium variant), Africa's population will double by the year 2050. This gives an average population growth rate over 1.5% per year. When combined with the GDP projection given above, this population increase results in a drastic decline in the continent's average per capita GDP by 2040.

en.wikipedia.org...

The total population of Africa is estimated at 922 million (as of 2005). It has doubled over the past 28 years, and has quadrupled over the past 55 years (UN estimates [2]). Population is projected to reach one billion before 2010[2]. The most populous African country is Nigeria with 133 million (as of 2006), followed by Egypt (79 million) and Ethiopia (77 million).

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I am wondering about that 90% depopulation thing too really.... But, have you read about Codex Alimentarius? If you search for it, you'll find jackinthebox's thread.

Basically, it is real, and projected to kill of a lot of people via malnourishment. I don't know if that has anything to do with Africa though...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I am wondering about that 90% depopulation thing too really.... But, have you read about Codex Alimentarius? If you search for it, you'll find jackinthebox's thread.

Basically, it is real, and projected to kill of a lot of people via malnourishment. I don't know if that has anything to do with Africa though...

Well apparently Mystiq blames it on the "powers that be". Some sort of evil plot I suppose. Sheesh if the "evil controllers" are trying to depopulate Africa they are surely doing a p@$$ poor job of it. They might wanna tell the richest countries to stop sending food and medicine over.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Mystiq, why not post a link? We are concerned and really curious, here!

lol I know, didn't add much just now.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Historically, until recently, women have always taken a back seat to men and children. This is really nothing new. I'm just amazed that, in this day and age, with our silos bursting at the seams, people are still starving to death.

There's something wrong with a planet that can pump out billions of gallons of beer in one hemisphere when the basic ingredient for that beer could be saving lives in the other hemisphere.

I think the Brits called it "cocked up".

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I also believe that when the news came out of Sudan wanting to put that british teacher in prison and be wipped for naming her teddy bear mohammed, what percentage of that population wanted that

Because i think it's a very small percentage and the media made it look like the entire country.

It's so easy to control direction of perception.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You can thank the people that run the world for things like this....

And I Quote- "There is enough for everyone's need but not for everyone's greed."

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Zimbabwe used to be the breadbasket of Africa. Then the new government decided to throw the evil white farmers off the land they had farmed for centuries and give it to black non-farmers who won't/can't farm it at all.

Now their farmlands are laying in ruin and the population is begging for foreign aid because they are starving. Lack of resources? Sheesh they even stole the farm equipment but it STILL did not get used. Its called Darwinism.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I remember camping in Africa many years ago (76')- We ate off of paper plates because it was easier than transporting water to clean plates. At every camp site we would bury our garbage in a hole a few feet deep.

At one campsite some bushmen dug up our garbage and went absolutely nuts over our used paper plates. I have no idea what they used them for but every time they found one in our trash there was a bit of jubilation. Of course they took our food scraps as well and probably made soup or something. Apparently they found our trash very useful and I can remember thinking - wow I guess we're so used to wasting stuff we haven't got a clue.

I don't know why there's not enough food in some places. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's lack of education, maybe it's the repressive governments and greedy people running the show over there. It's sad that so many people have to starve when I throw away so much edible food because it's not perfectly fresh or I'm full and tired of the taste and need something different.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I wasn't going there, but since you have mentioned it, that tactic (kicking out the white farmers) didn't help the matter.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Zimbabwe used to be the breadbasket of Africa. Then the new government decided to throw the evil white farmers off the land they had farmed for centuries and give it to black non-farmers who won't/can't farm it at all.

Now their farmlands are laying in ruin and the population is begging for foreign aid because they are starving. Lack of resources? Sheesh they even stole the farm equipment but it STILL did not get used. Its called Darwinism.

Whoa man, whoa! Is anyone else reading this person's quotes? What did Africa ever do to you? Darwinism? Do you mean survival of the fittest? (btw Darwin never called it that). Before Africa was colonized by Europeans, the indigenous people of Africa were doing a pretty good job feeding themselves. It was after their land was taken for a few centuries and the agricultural skills that normally would have been passed down were lost, that Africans became unable to plant produce.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7

Originally posted by Sonya610

Whoa man, whoa! Is anyone else reading this person's quotes? What did Africa ever do to you? Darwinism? Do you mean survival of the fittest? (btw Darwin never called it that).

Yeah, I read Sonya's quotes and I agree with them. What has Africa 'done'? The answer is not much. It just sits there and lets the aid pour in from countries that have their own poor who need taking care of. The colonizers (who brought education and technology to Africa - yes there are positive aspects of Africa's colonization) are gone, and civilization has gone with them.

To the topic at hand, I have read articles that say the women eat last most frequently; I haven't heard much about infanticide, the lack of which always seemed puzzling to me given the circumstances.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099To the topic at hand, I have read articles that say the women eat last most frequently; I haven't heard much about infanticide, the lack of which always seemed puzzling to me given the circumstances.

Well I know it happens, the children eating last, I don't know how common it is. Though most all of the articles on the topic are written by aid organizations or other sympathetic groups that are trying to stir up money and empathy for the plight of the people.

The western world is much more likely to empathize when they read that women are starved, hearing that the children are starved by their parents can create conflicting feelings.

Much of the fund raising is done by showing starving babies, if people thought "oh my god my money won't even reach those poor babies" the funding could be impacted.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Got to admit, I don't think I could see it possible either, to get much sympathy for humans who don't feed their little ones... Some cultures really are far too different than our own, to be judged though.
Here we have many, many people waiting for years for their name to come up for an adoption. There, a kid in the family is just the hassle of another mouth to feed, when supplies is non-existent as it is.

What is wrong with the term "Darwinism", anyway? I always thought that the way to save poor countries from having a starving population, would be sending them seeds for crop. People go way out of their way to help somebody, but what it comes down to, is they have to save themselves... In the case of Africa, it's their greedy government who only lets so many people waste away in poverty, to get the free "aid" hand-outs. It has to be nothing but pure politics. And don't nobody dare to tell these people that hunting or farming would be a viable option to self-sufficiency.

new topics

top topics

join