It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A flight of fancy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I don't know if I'm going about starting this new thread properly or placing it under the correct topic so bare with me, it's my first one.

I've been poking around here for a month or so and haven't read even close to a 100th of everything but I had an idea that's highly highly unfeasible and likely could never be accomplished. Here it is.

What if every blue-collar type working stiff in the world went on strike for a month? Janitors, construction workers, line-cooks, paper boys (and girls) gas station attendants, field hands, butchers, ranchers, farmers, taxi drivers, truck drivers, railroad workers, garbage collectors, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on. What if everybody on the same day decided not to go to work for a month? Heck even just a week. What kind of changes would we see? What positives? What negatives? I realize that the vast majority of these people, myself included, are barely just scraping by and of course it's far worse for people in "third world" countries, i.e. India, most of the African and South American continents etc. Still, wouldn't it make a fascinating world wide social experiment that could possibly put the power back in the hands of the true majority, the powerless, used and abused 6 billion people of this planet?

I dunno, just a thought I had that I'm sure has been brought up before.

Oh and if I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies and please move it the correct one.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I can certainly what happened even there were mass strikes in the late 1970s in the UK.

Streets full of rubbish are my over riding memory of these strikes so I can we can start to understand what would happen.

One of the interest points to come out of your thread, doomsauce, is just how long people would remain on strike as they would be impacting themselves as much as the rest of us, and you would have to be very passionate about the reasons for striking to continue for a month.

And if we look at history, there is not much success at long term strikes. Yes there have been some but they are very local.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hmm, interesting idea. I think if there were to be a mass strike, there would (obviously) need to be a lot of planning considering what Freedom ERP said.

Maybe the solution is small business's. You know, the owners of small business's are generally a lot nicer and community orientated than big business's.

Maybe for a strike like this to work, people could stop working for the big business's and companies (strike) and just focus on creating and keeping small successful business's. That way, society can still function, but you won't have the majority of the money going to all the big companies and business's.

Or something like that, I think it could work..

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Thanks for the thoughts guys. When I daydreamed this little scenario I just wanted to throw it out there and see what points I missed. Anyway, I think this thread is gonna die, oh well.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by doomsauce

Would that include all stores and fast food joints? Would it include all TV station personnel? I would say the strike would last less than a day if no one could get their food and watch their TV. Even the internet providers would have to strike, so if a site goes down...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In the spirit of non-violence, non-participation, a general strike is certainly one of the main ways to get a movement going to dramatically raise public awareness. Its one I've thought about for years, and wish it was done frequently enough already that our public servants would realize that serving their constituents and country is exactly the job description they are given. Its the only way we insure they understand that all the serfs out there are the collective employer group.

top topics

join