It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists: 9 Iranians Convicted of Adultery Set to Be Stoned to Death

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

no, killing is barbaric in any fashion. i'm not saying one way is the way to go.
no way is the way to go.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Everyone knows that Islam is the religion of love. Allah is merciful!

If they had not committed adultery, and instead blown themselves up taking an unspecified number of unbelievers with them to judgement, they would receive 37 virgins for permiscuous sex in heaven.

Instead they have earned the disdain of their friends and neighbors. Each only throws a small stone. It is the cumulative effect of the disdain which kills. Not the individual stones.

SinAllah Akbar!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
Everyone knows that Islam is the religion of love. Allah is merciful!

If they had not committed adultery, and instead blown themselves up taking an unspecified number of unbelievers with them to judgement, they would receive 37 virgins for permiscuous sex in heaven.

Instead they have earned the disdain of their friends and neighbors. Each only throws a small stone. It is the cumulative effect of the disdain which kills. Not the individual stones.

SinAllah Akbar!

ahh more idiots brainwashed by Fox news, sux. Do you guys do any research before making a comment or do you just rely on Fox news to do the research for you. What has the world come to these days.

Fire Breathing Terrorists lolxx

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Can you tell sarcasm, and social commentary when it hits you in the face?

Apparently not, OK so I will explain.

I simply echoed the numb and incoherant ravings which usually are not so neatly juxtaposed as to be blatently obvious. And in complete contradiction with one another so that a blind man can see! Oh a miracle! I only hope Some Islamic people read it, agree and then start to question their own beliefs.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Stop knocking Islamic law. Who are we to say how they should live out their religious beliefs? I mean, hasn't America pushed its political and religious agenda on the eastern world for too long?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

no, killing is barbaric in any fashion. i'm not saying one way is the way to go.
no way is the way to go.

The US kills upwards of 3,000 people a year as a result of judicial executions, Iran kills less than a few hundred.

All I'm saying is... Americans are far too quick to jump the gun about foreign nation's human rights records when they never even take a look at their own backyard.

And no matter how you try to spin it; a death is a death.
Doesn't matter if rocks are flying at your head or chemicals are stopping your heart what matters is the loss of life.

Because they execute their people with a much more primitive means, that means they are inherently savage and barbaric?

If the Germans had tranquillised the Jews before killing them in WW2, would we look back at the Holocaust and consider it a "Humane Genocide"?
Comparing means of execution is a fruitless exercise, because they all achieve the same goal in the end and were designed with the same principles at the beginning.
As punishment for those who severely break the law.

Who are we to tell Muslims what is a severe breach of the law?
The Western world gives paedophiles/child abusers a slap on the wrist and a government-funded protection; some might consider that a breach of the law and a serious lack of morals, the same way you think executing adulterers is bit a "extreme".
It's all about perspective.

Don't criticise things until you have been in that perspective.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
How about all countries in the world do the enlightend 21st century and intelligent thing and keep religion and law seperate.
Were i in court and had to swear an oath i would be looked down upon for not saying "so help me god" at the end of it, it has happened to people i know.
Religion is an emotional and subjective thing and law should be a factual and emotionless thing and therefore using an outdated and backwards concept like religion in any form in regards to law is bordering on the idotic.
In a thousand years people will look back at those alive now and laugh at the religions people believe in just as we laugh at the ancient civilisations who worshipped the sun as a god thousands of years ago.
It is just a shame that people don't look back at the past enough to realise how backwards things really are even in the 21st century.

The fact that even the thought and discussion of religion evokes an emotional response in me just goes to show that when religion is lumped in with law then the law cannot be enforced without bias.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by full997]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Bloody Wichita: Lawyers say media issues in Carr case are impairing their defense. Lawyers for one of two brothers charged with five counts of murder asked Friday that the criminal proceedings be suspended indefinitely while the courts resolve issues involving media access to evidence in the case. Reginald Carr, 28, and his brother, Jonathan, 21, are accused of abducting five people from an east Wichita home in December, and later shooting them in the head in a field. One of the victims, a woman, survived after walking a mile in subfreezing weather for help. (reader alert) ......................

==============================================================

To Whom It May Concern:

If you were the parent or sibling etc of one of the above 5 murder victims I garrontee you would feel differently about things.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

If you were the parent or sibling etc of one of the above 5 murder victims I garrontee you would feel differently about things.

Well of course you would. Do you just like to state the obvious?

If you were the parent of some man on Death Row in the US you would feel different towards lethal injection as well.
It works both ways.

Emotion and Law don't mix. You keep them separate, it helps to encourage rational thinking, something your foreboding now.

Instead of looking at it from your current perspective, which is something along the lines of: "OMG they're stoning them, their going to suffer incredibly, those poor people, these sick animals!"

Try this:
Every sovereign nation has the right to determine it's own legal principles and enforce them.
No one has to right to tell them they can't execute adulterers. They founded their nation, their wrote their constitution and they developed their own legal system for their own people.
It's their country, let them do as they wish.

Just like no one can tell America it can't execute upwards of 3,000 people a year.
As I recall Iran isn't monitoring the ethical and moral implications of America's corporal punishment, so neither should America to them.

By keeping your nose out of people's business to goes a hell of a long way to relieve tensions.

Adulterers have been executed in the Middle East since before Jesus was born, that's not something that's going to change at a whim just because the US is getting upset that their own moral traditions don't apply in foreign lands.

If you seriously think Islam, a religion of 1.6 billion people is suddenly to going to change a lifestyle that has existed for 1,500 years because it conflicts with Western values, you need to get out more.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
For freaking ADULTERY? What a joke.

Yes, for adultery. But the crux of the tragedy is, in the majority of cases the woman was actually raped! Then no charges are brought against the man, but the rape victim is tried for adultery, presumably due to the old standard that she somehow brought it on herself. Also, these women are almost always illiterate and don't even know what adultery means, but they are forced to plead guilty.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Dear Young Miss---

Perhaps you like to circumvent the obvious?

Refer back to your comment that we should

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Dear Young Miss--

The other side of the coin is that you just like to circumvent the obvious.

Really think now, about your comment "don't criticize until you've been in that perspective" -- have you lost a person you love due to a brutal and senseless murder? Doubt it. I have to wonder about someone who would take a stand for stoning women who have committed no crime, but hey the old dudes say they deserve it, and it's their country, so have at it. And out of the other side of your mouth you criticize the US for being too brutal for executing murderers, when execution is carried out only in the most extreme and heinous cases.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Can anyone point out to me the divorce rates in Iran? How about the births of illegitimate children? Let's compare those statistics with the U.S., then we can talk. In other words, for you logically impaired, the question is this: Does the punishment of death by stoning prevent divorces, adultery, and single-motherhood?

Edited to add:

To the person who said that the number of men and women that were sentenced to death should be equal, think again. Multiple women tend to mate with the same man. Check STD rates in the United States, when broken out by gender. Notice the difference in rates between men and women? How would that be possible, if the women were all having sex with different men?

As anyone who has spent ANY TIME BEING SINGLE in the last 10 years can tell you, once you have one or two women having sex with you, then it becomes MUCH, MUCH easier to get even more women. It's funny, because the "progressive" feminists have turned women back into the harems of old, but this time, it's by choice!

[edit on 22-7-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

While you have a very good point SirChancealot...

Thats something the U.S. need to start fixing that problem. I have been studying our culture and some indian cultures but I would someday like to go study chinese, indian, asian indian, iranian, afghanian, swedish and austrailian as well as mnay others and see what differneces are...

ONE THING for certain ... The muslim faith is very primative... does it work... yes... is the Christian faith primitive....yes... does it work....yes... is the jewish faith primitive... yes... does it work... yes... OMG all religions work its their WHOLE POINT! To guide the lives of groups of people. The Universal truth that I have studied in those religions is forgivness, understanding, to seek more knowledge, to treat others as you would treat yourself etc. The iranian people do not seek educating their youth on a larger scale such as with many other countrys... it is one thing the U.S. is seeking to do. HOWEVER MY POINT in ALL OF THIS...

The whole world needs to wake up, admit that each religion is bought and paid for by manipulation and control... Do i believe in a certain religion... yes I do but I believe it has been manipulated over the years to control what the governments wish to control. THE UNIVERSAL TRUTH is the true religion. To extensively study human nature, to understand fear, love, forgivness, understanding, parenting etc. Such is why I study psychology. I have noted a lot of key elements in religions of WHY they work... The Anatomy of the human mind must be discovered and then we must explore that and base what we live our lives by on the truth... and the truth is this. If we have everyone understading how what you do affects another human how to raise your kids without causing them to end up as mass murderers... etc. The entire problem will never be 100% fixed because nature has a balance... but is there a better way yes.

The Muslim faith is long overdue for a facelift. When we grow spiritually we have to modify our relgious practices... Those religions were based in primitive times as far as the rules of this and this and that so things need to be modified as they have always been doing. They need to teach a little more love. If anyone understood the true nature of adultery.... they would realize that it came from poor paretning and a bad life partner... but she will die for the decision for the inability to cope with the situation. When they start treating women as equals... Maybe then we will listen to them. The hatred in those countrys are astounding... how could they have lived this long? I think its time for the return of the Christ and AntiChrist.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

What are you saying exactly? Is Iran's criminal justice system preferable to you?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
For freaking ADULTERY? What a joke.

Yes, for adultery. But the crux of the tragedy is, in the majority of cases the woman was actually raped! Then no charges are brought against the man, but the rape victim is tried for adultery, presumably due to the old standard that she somehow brought it on herself. Also, these women are almost always illiterate and don't even know what adultery means, but they are forced to plead guilty.

So much for the argument that the women are fully aware of the deed and its consequences.

I may be an imperialist looking at another culture through western eyes, but I can't help it. The treatment of women under this and other religious laws is barbaric. Women are no more than property in this culture, and I can't just say "well, it's another culture doing it so it's ok."

Slowly, the women of the world and those men who are also oppressed are awakening to a sense of their rights as human beings.

I predict this practice of stoning will eventually fall under the weight of world opinion. It's not only western nations that are horrified by it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Thank You. I agree that very slowly the young men and women are awakening to the reality of the suffocating culture they were born into. There are protest groups in Iran, though they walk on thin ice. Not saying I agree with the Iraq invasion because I don't. But at the end of the day it WAS a chance for middle easterners unhappy with the status quo to stand up and fight, and they didn't because they are too indoctrinated in the fear and faith that rules. The women aren't ever really allowed out of the house, education for girls has been scanty so they only know what they've been told/taught.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Then there is the castration of girls, how horrific. Some on this board though would say hey it's their culture and we have no right to judge it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
reply to post by Sestias

Then there is the castration of girls, how horrific. Some on this board though would say hey it's their culture and we have no right to judge it.

The evidence I have from having been with an Iranian woman is that they don't castrate them all. 100% fact.

-------

I also know from having dated this woman, women are educated in Iran. She certainly went to college in both Iran and England. Also, England has many Iranian women and men who study here.

How many Iranians live in Los Angeles? I've been told there are many. Which is quite shocking considering that the tones implied in this thread suggest Iran is such a bad place that no-one is allowed to leave.

Perhaps she gave me a very rosey picture of Iran but the Iran she showed me definitely appeared to be visually pleasant. Then again, so do holiday brochures only show the niceties.

As for women not being allowed out of their houses - she told me that her mother had her own business (father deceased), that she, her mother and sister had to be veiled when out of their home which both imply they were allowed outside. They may be unveiled whilst indoors but not in font of strangers. Their garden being with a high wall, enabled them to be unveiled whilst in their garden (because of no onlookers)...

Society and accepted civil behaviour in Iran may not be as we in the West appreciate and are accustomed but they are their ways and for them to change should they choose. Iran may have changed in the last few years but I doubt it has changed to the extent that many suggest.

From the things I've seen in my life, I cannot say with any certainty that their way is any better or worse than "our" Western way - both have pros and cons (pun intended).

Personally, I think all societies meddle too much in the behaviours of others; I know not of one that truly follows the teachings of any of the religious texts. Further, do you know of any truly fair, equal, civil, unobtrusive, non-overbearing society within which all its members may feel no unwarranted intrusion of liberty?

Iran may not be a brilliant place seen from the eyes of we Westerners but most Iranians with whom I've spoken, despite their dislike of certain aspects of Iranian social conducts, still love the place and talk passionately of it. I hope one day to be able to speak passionately of England's positive aspects but to day such a notion is a very distant dream.

Of course, I could be talking out of my nether-regions, but my memory says not.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacity

Of course I know not all women are castrated there, but even one castration is beyond comprehension.

And I am aware that some of the wealthier young women are allowed to attend college, but they can't get jobs. The culture does not allow for it, the women have to stay at home and basically obey the husband and tend to the children. There are a very few women with jobs, but they are strictly watched. For instance, the lone woman would not dare go to lunch with a group of the men. She could be grabbed by the religious police and carted off to jail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join