It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Prototype Exoskeleton For Super Troopers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Robotic exoskeleton could lead to super troopers. BLEEX, the Berkeley Lower Extremities Exoskeleton, features strap-on robotic legs designed to turn an ordinary man into an enhanced runner. While the first target for the design is intended to be soldiers carrying heavy loads, it doesn't take long to realize the tactical advantage of faster stronger.

News.Yahoo.com In lab experiments, says Kazerooni, testers have walked around in the 100-pound exoskeleton plus a 70-pound backpack and felt as if they were carrying just five pounds. Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion U.S Developing troop exoskeletons Exoskeletons and Nanocommunications USA's 'Robomilitary' program. Related News Berkeley Researchers Developing Robotic Exoskeleton Artificial exoskeleton aims takes the strain Science fiction becomes reality. [Edited on 10-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I know this is just a protoype, but the whole concept doesn't seem tactically feasible.

For an infantryman it might be useful for long foot movements, allowing a lot more beans and bullets moved from the rear without reliance on logistical assets. But in battle, I think it would ultimately hinder mobility and speed. Sometimes you find yourself in some strange body positions for cover!

I like the idea for logistics. I envision the 'loader' from Alien3. A bio-reactive suit used like a forklift.

Matrix 3 had a good idea as well, but that type of employment would require a whole new unit type separate from infantry.

If war does not end, I would imagine we'll eventually get to a "Mechwarrior" type system where our weapons are half tank, half man, and technology permits no distinction between man and machine.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
One step closer to my full bionic body realization....

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
another example of spending upon items for killing rather than spending it on the things that matter like the welfare of humanity this world is #e and the people who make these things for killing should be imprisoned indefinately

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The rise of the machines..

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
we're headed to the " Storm Trooper" of Star Wars

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I don't see the logistics problem, with a bit more development the exoskeleton could become a suit including amour and equipment stores. It won't be too long before soldiers can have their very own MJOLNIR battle suit complete with augmented strength and speed as well as bulletproof armour and targeting/communication systems built in. All we need now is a decent, lightweight power supply that can be fitted onto such a suit, the rest of the technology is there already...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just one EMP weapon and they all fall down...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
yeah, EMP is a problem, but not too many 'enemies' are using it yet. Maybe we need to develop some kind of electromagnetic shielding that can contain these battle suits...?

Also, remember that a lot of new technology starts with military applications, then becomes public, just like the computer... these leg enhancements will be available for medical use within a decade...

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by McPhearsom]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
All I gotta say is they are so far behind what I have designed... I just need money to fund it and I could have a full mecha suit made. I have been working on engineering details for about a year and a half now. Unfortunatly I only currently make $8 an hour and have very little money left over at the end of the month. I am getting a mig welder with my tax returns, though... that's the first step! Next I make the frame, incorporate shock-webbing and sensors, then the putes and power supply. Probably go with something along the lines of the MEG for power with a stepping capacitor array.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Speaking as someone who could use a little help in the leg department, I am excited by the prospect. Maybe some of this DARPA research will eventually trickle down into practical civilian application. A spin-off of MIT's "Leg Lab" was working on a basic leg assistive device that looked promising, but there does not seem to have been much movement on their project lately.
Yobotics Link

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
These will probably be used for long hikes and marches or even running up a mountain. Wouldn't that be cool!

I agree though, they will probably be used for medical uses first.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I would hate to be strapped into that thing if it went haywire. My legs might run off in different directions. I hope this leads to some Doctor Octopus like extension, I could really use some of those.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I have no doubt they are trying it out. That's U.S. spending policy. #1 Military, #2 Anything left over that wasn't spent on the military or intelligence.

I live in Canada. Our number 1 budget item is healthcare. We still have comperable unemployment rate and gun ornership per capita, etc. Yet we have no where near the level of violence even if you break it down into a per capita basis.

Come U.S. use your heads and get these evil people out. Use democracy to fight them like they use it to start wars.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
i wonder if they are going to make a arm model for snipers?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I say that they are even very far from to be able to make a good suit for the combat, perhaps be comfortable they have conditioned Air, filters of air, microambiente, and avoid the bacteriological war as certain tanks of war, but they would continue being clumsy to be biped and white easy since they move slow, and for that nobody says that it would happen if these suits are impacted by a projectile cablibre 50 of a rifle Barrett L82A1, nobody supposes that if it can support the impact, the blow it would throw the soldier to several meters and serious such a strong blow that perhaps it is in coma, lose cerebral functions, we are even fragile and for but that have an armor lacks a lot to have such hardness to resist blows of such a type.
Perhaps, they can support this shots, and even but but up to now the only thing useful that see in this device type it is that each soldier is a human tank of war, or a solitary unit for each soldier.

Excuse my English poor person but I am even in the learning
I leave greetings for all

top topics

join