It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Revelations is about Rome, what is the Mark of the Beast?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Hi Everyone, I have been thinking lately about the people who say that Revelations actualy described the fall of Rome, or sometimes just the Temple being destroyed. However, I have not heard them explain the relevence of the 'Mark of the Beast' verse.

I would like to know if anyone can explain that specificallyin that context, since the mark as a microchip is usually the number one thing that Christians point to as proof that we're in the end time.

I am neither trying to disprove any theories nor validate Christianity, I'm just looking to fill in a hole in my understanding. I'm just asking politely for an answer! Thank you in advance!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well I'll have a stab at explaining the triple-6 thing.
As we know, in the Biblical tradition, to repeat something three times is to emphasise it, make it important. Question is, what symbolism did the writer mean to attach to the number 6?
According to what I've learned about numerology, some of those who dabbled in it based it on their religious beliefs. Since by the Judaeo-Christian tradition it took God six days to create the physical world, number 6 must therefore be the number of the Material. Without going into the other numbers, to repeat number 6 three times is to emphasise it a lot. The Biblical verse seems to be talking about a particular person, someone who will be a material rather than a spiritual leader. Since the verse includes the word "beast", we might infer that this leader is not a nice person. Beyond that, we can only speculate.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I would say my faith is crippled. I watched the zietguiest movie and now I have doubts.. not about God mind ya. Cause I know heart and soul there is A god. But the sun is another questions... Unless we are all children of God in a sense of the word as may have been attempted to teach way back when... But all this is neither here nor there.

Nobody should trust ANYBODY thats wants to monitor your movements and actions 24/7/365. Anything ,be it a mark or mere acceptance of a name, should ever be tolerated.

Not for nothing!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

to my knowledge everyone has a mark whatever it be... claws marks or your signature from a pen or even your name everyone leaves there mark maybee this means beware of someone who leaves no mark or a person who does not want to remembered or a person who keep keeps leaving his mark this would important if you want to live forever you have to leave your mark or you will not remembered. when you are in a jungle lost and afraid you wont know your way back you leave a mark by breaking a vine or leaving a trail this way you wont get lost this purpose of the mark of the beast so things wont get lost this is not devilish at or evil at all do you like feeling lost or would like to loose something you love this is the purpose of the mark of the beast. the bible is such a good book i love the way it eternally contradicts itself i think the bible should be double sided and twice as thick and once side upside down so you can keep flipping and turning in any direction well call it the king vincents version. or the universal bible

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
I would say my faith is crippled. I watched the zietguiest movie and now I have doubts.. not about God mind ya. Cause I know heart and soul there is A god. But the sun is another questions...

Do Yourself a favor and check into whether or not the claims made in Zeitgeist are actually true. You'll be quite surprised to see how much twisting of "truth" was done in that movie. You can actually win money if you prove the claims true, but nobody has yet won the cash....

zeitgeistchallenge.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
This pretty much explains the mark of the beast and it's connection with Rome....

Mark of the Beast – Number of the Beast 666

www.cog-pkg.org...

The beast rising up out of the earth (Rev 13:11-18) is the great whore, the false church (the Roman Catholic Church) that rides and has powerful influence, and often, full control over the government (Holy Roman Empire). The mark of the beast is a religious mark, not a governmental mark such as a Social Security number, or a National Identity number. Those who receive the mark of the beast will suffer the corrective plagues of God's Judgment and are contrasted with the saints, those who are keeping God's commandments. Therefore, the mark has something to do with commandment breaking.

A mark is an identifying sign or brand. One group is forced to bear the sign, brand, or mark of the beast to work or buy or sell. Keeping the fourth commandment, the Sabbath, is a sign, mark, or brand that identifies God's people (Ex 31: 12-17). God's commandments, especially the fourth, are a sign on the hands (actions/work) and forehead (thinking/belief) of those who keep them. The mark of the beast is the enforced observance of Sunday and Satan's holidays instead of God's Sabbaths and Holy days.

Rev 13:17-18 tells us to count (compute) the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666. These verses are saying the beast has a number and it may be identified. The expression “the name of the beast,” or “the number of his name” makes plain that the number 666 is the number of the name of the kingdom or empire. The expression “it is the number of a man” shows we must also count this number in the name of the king, or ruler, over the kingdom identified as the “beast.”

The beast is the Roman Empire. It was named after Romulas, the founder and first king of Rome. His name, the name of a man, also is the name of the kingdom. Every citizen in the kingdom bears the same name – a Roman. The apostle John wrote the book of Revelation in Greek. Therefore, we should count in Greek, not in Latin.

This name, in Greek, is “Lateinos.” It means “Latin Man” or “the name of Latium,” from which region the Romans derived their origin and their language. In Greek, L=30, A=1, T=300, E=5, I=10, N=50, O=70, and S=200. They add up to 666. For 1260 years the pope has reigned and ruled over the beast. They were in effect, the religious heads of the empire, ruling over the emperors, as well as over the church.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
What is the mark of the beast is a good question.
The Beast being the Roman catholic church then what is the mark of this?
www.markbeast.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
It would seem the Original number was in fact 616 not 666 and was possibly hidden on purpose.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
666 was code for the name of the Emporer.

By some interpretations anyway.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Originally posted by titorite
I would say my faith is crippled. I watched the zietguiest movie and now I have doubts.. not about God mind ya. Cause I know heart and soul there is A god. But the sun is another questions... Unless we are all children of God in a sense of the word as may have been attempted to teach way back when... But all this is neither here nor there.

I think what you bring up could have something to do with 666 and the Beast.
I will quote myself, compiled and arranged from several threads, what I think about all this.

What Zeitgeist says may be troubling to someone who likes to think that Jesus is real.
Zeitgeist tries to convince you that Jesus is no different than a bunch of different Pagan Gods.
The viewer of Zeitgeist is confronted with stories of previous gods who seem to be disturbingly similar to the story of Jesus.
What they are talking about in the movie are gods
Zeitgeist may claim that these previous gods are examples of "messiahs".
The truth is that the gods who Zeitgeist present are not messiahs, they are gods.
If you want to think of Jesus as God, then you can have problems, watching the movie.
What you need to know is that the term Messiah is the title of a man.
Having a good understanding of what the Messiah is, is your best defense.
My point is that if you can not distinguish between a messiah and a god, because of holding a fuzzy sort of definition of these terms, then, Zeitgeist just got you.
We do not need a dying God.
What we need is a man to go before us to receive all those things that he has promised that we will get.
Jesus submitted himself to his higher Authority, to the point of death.
That was how he was able to emerge from death, victorious.
His Father raised him to show His approval of His son.
Jesus has to be 100% man and we cling to him as our representative for mankind and our substitute for the punishment for the sins of mankind.

What I want to say is that having your faith attacked by this movie should make you realize you need to make an adjustment.
But not to throw out Christianity.
We should question if Jesus was meant to be worshiped as a God, or if the Messiah was a man who is elevated to a very high position to be God's representative on Earth.
Could worshiping a man, instead of God, be worshiping the beast, or creature, meaning a created entity?

[edit on 20-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I did a a search for one possible mark and found a youtube video.
www.youtube.com...

The christ figure and messiah might have some origins in truth that were hyjacked and twisted by greed.

As interesting as it may be, I have my doubts in how this prophecy and judgement is fullfilled. Some also believe that there's an other worldly connection with UFO's, aliens and reptilians etc. maybe these other species are asking us to forgive them by this christ example?

This question has been brought up many times and I'm not convinced as to the proper answer, if any. This might all be based on a person's belief system rather than eventual reality. It's kinda like the perfect crime or scam.

The mark of the beast might represent an emotion such as fear of pain of death etc.

The mark may be a concious thought and concept to go along with the flow in order to survive. I personally feel that a real or true loving god would not judge people because they were mislead by basic human frailty.

If we were to apply this to other logic such as in regards to nature such as the planet using science and cyclical events, it suggests many other marks such as biological. This could mean a bacteria that was frozen in the glaciers or from the bottom of the oceans that eventually makes it's way into our food source. It may be all of the above.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

titorite, your post caught my eye because, like you, watching Zeitgeist had an impact on my faith as well. However, as others have mentioned, do not take the supposed facts of the movie at face value. What is important here is that you've come to a point where you are questioning that which you have believed and put your faith in. Despite what religions (I'm assuming you're a Christian) may tell people, the pursuit of spiritual truth is a righteous journey that every person should have the choice of undertaking. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you having questions and digging deeper to satisfy your personal spiritual needs, doubts, and questions. Ironically, contrary to what many Christians would claim about doubting one's faith, I think that if Christ were to encounter someone in our day and age who had questions about doubts, he would insist that they must pursue the truth themselves, and WANT to put their faith in belief in a religion, Christianity in this example. Anyway, do your own investigation of your spiritual and religious beliefs. When you read something that slaps you in the face with surprise, investigate it further to make sure that it's a legitimate claim. Hopefully, when all is said and done, you'll arrive at a point where YOU are content with what you know, understand, and believe, so that your journey to pursue the truth about spirituality will have you feeling satisfied and fulfilled.

Again, never take one single source of information literally and accept it as truth. Use other sources to validate or disprove it. Sometimes you may not be able to find an absolutely concrete, solid piece of information for a particular question you have. But, in my opinion, it is better to be unsure about something than to buy completely into a claim that you may later discover is untrue. And don't be afraid to investigate beyond the scope of Christianity. Dig deep. Go back beyond the year 0 AD.
There's a lot of good stuff to learn about. Even if you don't believe any of it, you may at least find some of it fascinating.

Regarding the mark of the beast, this is an interesting topic. Personally, I don't really buy into the Bible like I used to, so these prophesies do not hold as much weight in my mind. In fact I see them as a very handy tool for the NWO elite folks to use as a form of self-fulfilling prophesy. However, what I used to believe is this. In my opinion, the mark is likely to be something that sets those who have it apart from those who do not. We may never know for sure if the mark is physical, mental, or spiritual, or a combination of those. What if the mark consists of putting faith and belief into a new religion that is created and mandated by a one world government? Publicly professing one's faith would be the way by which the mark is acknowledged. Or the mark could be as simple as an ID card. Who knows! Heck, for all we know, the mark is already around is, and will wind up being another one of those prophesies that people won't realize has happened until they look back and realize it.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by John_Q_Llama]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
According to David Wilcock, the Mark is the shutting down of the Pineal Gland in the brain. It is believed that the Pineal gland is a function of the third eye.
The pineal gland is named after "pine"al, because it resembles a pine cone. If you look at "idols" in the Vatican, The pontiffs staff has a pine cone on top of it, also there is a giant pine cone in one of the Vaticans court yards .........

From David Wilcock 2012 Enigma..............02c

[edit on 22-7-2008 by Pinktip]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

Pinktip, that's a pretty interesting theory. Assuming that humans are the only creatures on Earth with something that functions as the pineal gland does, by having it shut down so it no longer functions at all would, in essence, lower us closer to the same level as the rest of the animal kingdom. Hmm!

I'd never heard of that before. Thanks for mentioning it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The normal (to me) way of understanding what the beast is, is to compare it to the beasts in the visions of Daniel.
The beasts of Daniel are interpreted as successive world empires.
The last beast would be the Entity that comes after the Roman Empire.
It gets its power from the Roman Empire.
In Daniel's vision, the final empire is represented by the feet of clay and iron.
So, how we interpret this is that the power is passed down to something that rules over a divided kingdom.
This power operates as a king of kings, because one king, inside this world system, can not stand up in opposition to the whole.
The important thing is that despite the various entities coming into play, the result, ultimately, is that you end up with a situation that has Satan, the Dragon, as the real force behind it.
So, we really have a satanic force at work in the world, since the time of Christ and the time that Revelation was written.
They have always had some sort of image or other to present, to have people pay allegiance to.
What the Book says is that it is better to only submit to God, than to the images, even if they kill you.
"Recieving the Mark" requires you to submit yourself into slavery and the mark is the brand of ownership that your masters will burn into your flesh to identify you as the property of Satan.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS, PEOPLE SHOULD THINK LOGICAL AND WITH AN OPEN MIND, RESEARCH AND THEN, YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWERS. HEAVEN MENTIONED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT IS REFERRED TO SPACE NOT A SPIRITUAL (DEAD) WORLD. SOMEHOW THE FOCUS GOT CHANGED FROM SPACE TO A SPIRITUAL (DEAD) WORLD.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The Apocalypse of Yohanon the Levite (aka the 'Book of Revelation',) seems to have been sewn together from various strands of Apocalyptic writings e.g. Isaiah chapters 56-66, Joel, Daniel, Zechariah chapter 4 and chapter 9-12 etc. (in addition to the Plagues of Egypt section of Exodus and the Tamid Hymns-Psalms Sung Daily in the 2nd temple) during the 1st Jewish Revolt against Rome when Jerusalem and Palestine were virtually destroyed in AD 70--parts of the book refer to the temple still standing and occupied by gentiles, which would be around AD 68-69 before the Romans (aka the Kittim, to quote the Dead Sea Scrolls) burned it to the ground and took nearly 2 tonnes of gold and silver coins of the 2nd Temple Treasury away to Rome.

The 4 Emperors of the time that followed (e.. AD 69 = Nero, Otho, Galba, Vespasian etal) were all Inititiates ('mystes') of the Mysteries of Mithras, the Roman version of the Persian Sun & Mediator Treaty God Mitra--this cult was the biggest single competitor to Christianity around the time of the first Failed Jewish Revolt (AD 66-72) and was its main rival for converts until at least 500 AD.

Initiates of the Mithraic Mysteries had their right hand branded as well as sometimes their foreheads---and Nero the Emperor was an Initiate of this Mithraic Cult (which was open to males only, and most particularly soldiers and statesmen) and was also the Pontifex Maximus (High Priest) of the Official Roman State Religion where the Senate voted him in as 'a god' to be worshipped in real temples and with real sacrifices (earlier Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, and Tiberius were all worshipped as divine sons of god, and were all members of the Mithras Cult)

If you recall, it was Nero who was the Emperor who was on the throne at the time of the First Jewish War which began in AD 66 (though he died a couple of years later) was widely believed by Apoclyptic Jews and Christians to be the the 'Beast' --but please note: the word ANTI CHRIST does NOT occur in the BOOK OF REVELATION.

(Why was Nero so villified by Jewish-Christians? Well for one thing, Nero used to capture Jewish Christians and torture them since they would not bow down to him as a god (he saw no difference between the two Jewish camps at this stage--they broke into two religions a little later) and at Rome he used to cover them in hot tar and burn them alive as human lamps for amusement when the night torches went low near his palace the Golden House---he and many Romans had blamed both the Jews and Christians (who refused to worship the Emperor as the Son of the Gods, and were therefore 'athiests and enemies of the State of Rome') for the infamous Fire of Rome set some years earlier.

See Apoc. Yohanon (Book of Revelation) Chapter 13: 'behold it is it the number of a man, and his number is 666 (or in Codex Ephraimi (C) etal. the number is 616)

If you take the Hebrew letters (without vowels of course, where Vav is used for letter long-O typically)for the phrase for the Emperor Nero Caesar = NRON QSR you will come up with 666

(Aleph =1
Beth =2
Gimmel=3
Daled=4
He=5
Vav=6
Zayin =7,
Cheth=8,
Dtet =9
Yod =10
Kaph =20,
Lamed =30,
Mem=40,
Nun=50,
Samek = 60,
Qayin=70
Phe=80
Tsadeh =90
Quf =100,
Resh =200,
Shin-Sin =300
Tav =400)

If you spell it the alternate way (NRO QSR) in Hebrew, you get the alternate number in the Book of Revelation for the Number of the Beast, i.e. 616 which is the Beast's Number according to the reading of the Greek Text in Codex Ephraemi (C) --

Either way, the branding on the right hand and the forehead seems to have been a reference to the Roman Mithraic Mystery Cult--the arch enemy of the writer of the Book of Revelation--and Nero was closely allied with that Mystery cult as well as most of the Roman Army and male members of the ruling classes in Rome in the 1st century--we can imagine Pontius Pilate also being a Mystes Initiate of Mithras...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Hi Everyone, I have been thinking lately about the people who say that Revelations actualy described the fall of Rome, or sometimes just the Temple being destroyed. However, I have not heard them explain the relevence of the 'Mark of the Beast' verse.

I would like to know if anyone can explain that specificallyin that context, since the mark as a microchip is usually the number one thing that Christians point to as proof that we're in the end time.

I am neither trying to disprove any theories nor validate Christianity, I'm just looking to fill in a hole in my understanding. I'm just asking politely for an answer! Thank you in advance!
Don't listen to that nonsense, never in human history has a man came to power, ruled the world, and made all men and women on Earth to receive his mark or the could not buy or sell.

The antichrist is coming, it's called "End Times" prophecy for a reason.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

The antichrist is coming, it's called "End Times" prophecy for a reason.

The New testament writers said they were in the "end times".
They also said, "The spirit of anti-Christ is among us."

never in human history has a man came to power, ruled the world, and made all men and women on Earth to receive his mark or the could not buy or sell.

No, that is not exactly correct.
Before Constantine, there was a great persecution of Christians, mainly because everyone was required to be registered with the state as having given offerings and worship to the image of the Emperor.
If they did not, they could experience various civil restrictions or bodily punishments, including being put to death.
The very idea that Revelations was written only for us, is narcissistic.
It was written for the benefit of all Christians, throughout history.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Rome is just one of the "Babylons" a pagan system of rulership where the beast, the anti-christ, the false god will rule the world. The next "Babylon" will be Jerusalem where this anti-christ will sit in the throne located in the inner rooms of the newly built 3rd temple in Jerusalem and proclaim himself to be Jesus Christ. Its way too scary now, because the Jews are preparing to build a third temple. Once its finished, the false messiah will come with signs and wonders in heaven. People will marvel at his coming.

In this last stage of Babylonian rulership, Rome and Jerusalem the new Bablylon the great will combine. The beast belongs to the 7th Kingdom (Rome), but he will also rule on the 8th and last kingdom (Jerusalem).

They are 2 beasts in Revelation. The first is the False Messiah, the second, the false prophet. Both will rule the 8th Kingdom in Jerusalem. The false prophet will be the Vicar of the false messiah. The false messiah will sit in the throne pretending to be god while the false messiah will be endowed with supernatural powers.

A mark is usually a symbol. No, I don't agree its a microchip. Describing it as a microchip is too vague. This is not how pagan Babylonian system works. It is a pagan and worship system and this mark will be very familiar mark with them in their place of worship and being marked is not a new thing but a traditional religious ceremony.

If you want to know what this mark or symbol is, just click at my sig.

[edit on 8/1/2008 by amitheone]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I've read two excellent books "The Bible Fraud" by Tony Bushby and "The Mystical Life Of Jesus" by Sylvia Brown. They say Revelation and the Gospel of John are not completely genuine. Revelation was written by a famous female psychic named Sybil. It was reworked and added Christian terms. The Gospel of John was stolen from the Essenes and edited and added things to make Jesus seem divine. Check them out.

I've read other material that indicate George W. Bush may have been the Anti-Christ but because of divine intervention, all the negative things he tried to do were thwarted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join