It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack America Now

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusadors

Dont expect me to feel sorry for the uneducated, we have so many oppurtunities in this nation for financial loans and grants to become educated.

The whiners are the ones making 20+ dollars an hour on an assembly line doing mindless work losing there jobs. If you are educated, you will find a nice paying job.

All about money, debt and privalege isn't it?

Educating a poor person to become a self supporting individual is a good thing, but why should a bank or financial institution make a profit and have a hold over that person in years to come?

You are obviously one of the ******* ones who doesn't appreciate the people who help shape the world around you.

A world you take for granted.

Next time you open a packet of "chips" just remember the poor S.O.B who stood there, staring at a billion cut potatoes to make sure your product was good quality. I'm not surprised they complain.....they do what you are unable to do or incapable of. And they did it so you could have your little luxuries. Luxuries to take your minds off the realities of the world beyond the TV screen or comic book.

If everyone had a good education and enough earnings....who is going to check your chips? The "chip-checker" is a dentist now so you must eat dirty chips.. lol

I'd rather be poor, happy and enlightened than well off, dumb and useless.

Good luck looking down....you've nearly reached the sand.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

The "america" out here in the real world is TV & movies, fast food, gas-guzzling S.U.Vs, BAD NEWS, WAR and insecurity!

No, that is the fantasy world you belong to.

The U.S. is the most productive country on the planet, that develops and exports most of the technology that runs the economies of the planet. Even the products that most countries produce were developed originally in the U.S.. Not only is the U.S. the most productive country, we are also the worlds consumers, upon which the markets of the world depend.

If you want to pretend that the concepts of equality and equal opportunity are not far superior goals than religious fanaticism and corrupt totalitarian governments, then you have no clue as to what drives progress on this planet. Who do you think also provides most of the worlds humanitarian aid?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by William Marshal

America is the world! If we fail so do you.

That is just about the most arrogant and ignorant thing I've read in my whole time here on ATS!

Ha ha ha If you think THAT is the most ignorant thing you have ever read on ATS, wait till you get a load of THIS! HA HA HA!

How can you possibly say this?

What? your country isn't the center of your world? I know mine is and I am the center of my universe as I should be and I am sure Will is the center of his, what he is saying, the context of what he is saying and to whom must be taken into consideration.

WE are not responsible for your leaders disregard for it's people or the people of this world.

What, did you learn this from mushroom? I don't think he said anything lke that did he? Or is that what YOU think?

I know it isn't what WE think so perhaps you should quit painting us as YOU think and start using direct quotes when you suggest we are saying you are responsible for anything we do or that we disregard people of this world when the very country Mushroom lives in was threatened by Germany, then it's "oh Please Mr President, help us fight the oppressors"

Do you know what the biggest irony of all is with someone like Mushroom bitching about our Government,, ?

He says all this coming from a place that still likes having a King and a Queen and Princes and all that other silly royal blooded balony and pays taxes to furnish a royal lifestyle ha ha. Then we have you talking about "chips" and the migrant workers not being thought of while we eat our chips and watch TV or drive our suv's. Gee I didn't know buying a bag of damn potato chips while not being reminded of some migrant worker should make me feel so ashamed of myself. Can you imagine what the royals should feel like?

I know what those migrant workers appreciate. I know they appreciate the fact we like to eat potato chips or they most likely wouldn't have a damn job at all and that is because they are the center of their universe and you can bet they didn't come here to pick potatos by force, they came here because even THAT pays more than where they come from, so get off the guilt trip ploys. When I am eating chips, all I am thinking about is the damn football score and if you or anyone else doesn't like it, that's too damn bad.

Your "wishful thinking" along these lines will be your downfall. Is this how the american mentality truly works? If you think something it makes it true?

LOL you are as bad as mushroom for putting your foot in your mouth and eating your own words aren't you. That statement you just made is no more true for us than your thinking our wishful thinking will be our downfall is true for you. Is that how YOUR mentality works? Just because you think it will be our downfall makes it true?

I really am failing at understanding why so many people from europe and what ever the country they live in, think Americans are so stupid when it is so easy to show them how stupid it is to say that. Usually I can do it in the same sentence they just used to describe us that way

Perhaps if they weren't so preoccupied hating us and our way of doing things they could focus on all the problems they have rather than suggesting foolish ideas they have about us and our problems.

What is funny is those who use our economy to prove our failings should have it so bad lol. Our worst of times is still better than most other places best of times and that is a fact jack

[edit on 29-7-2008 by XIDIXIDIX]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by nerbot

The "america" out here in the real world is TV & movies, fast food, gas-guzzling S.U.Vs, BAD NEWS, WAR and insecurity!

No, that is the fantasy world you belong to.

Errr, NO, NOT the world I belong to thank goodness.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by XIDIXIDIX
What? your country isn't the center of your world?

No.....why do you presume such an unpresumable thing.

"I" am the centre of my world and where "I" am is where the centre is of course.

Think bigger

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

What? your country isn't the center of your world?

No.....why do you presume such an unpresumable thing.

"I" am the centre of my world and where "I" am is where the centre is of course.

Think bigger

Ther ya GO! Now you're thinkin! Great come back too. I Couldn't have done better myself. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were an American! ha ha

[edit on 29-7-2008 by XIDIXIDIX]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
we are also the worlds consumers, upon which the markets of the world depend.

You are right poet! Ya know, I never really thought of it that way, but we are the worlds biggest customer and if their is one thing I have learned about dealing with people in Business it is "The Customer is always right"

If they don't like us, we'll just take our business elsewhere!

Then when they have no customers left, we can say, How do ya like us NOW!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Poet, Whilst it is quite true as to what America has done for the World some of your assumptions are incorrect. Most of the inventions of modern times have come from Europe. Russia is ahead of you in Rocket Technology, Japan is the leader when it comes to Electronics etc, the UK invented the first computer in Manchester. China has had a massive trade surplus each year. And India is rapidly rising to the top as well. And if you are so self sufficient how come you rely on oil from the ME.

US Exports, Imports and the Balance of Trade:
1960 - 2006
Source: US Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis
Unfortunately I cannot post the list here but basically the graph shows
trade defecit from 1977 to 2006 from 27 to 758 million and now I think the figure is much higher.

And of your aid package please see below.

"Of the $122.8 billion of foreign aid provided by Americans in 2005 (the most current data available), $95.5 billion, or 79 percent, came from private foundations, corporations, voluntary organizations, universities, religious organizations and individuals, says the annual Index of Global Philanthropy."

I think it would be misleading to say that that the US is the biggest Aid provider as if its the Goverment doing it when its actually the people them selves.
So from the Goverment point of view they give very little aid compared to the generous actions of others.

I can understand you being proud of your country and what it has achieved but you should not deny what others have achieved and done. And given the fact that India and China have a third of the Worlds population between them what effect do you think that will have for the rest of us. Very soon they will be completely dominating the Global market and will out match the US Militarily within a decade.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

If they don't like us, we'll just take our business elsewhere!

Where is elsewhere?

Then when they have no customers left, we can say, How do ya like us NOW!

And they will probably say something like: "Velly solly, wong number, we no make prastic wubbish no more....you only sucker to buy.....we make someting else now, you want some?.....velly good, velly cheap, velly reriable!"

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Poet, Whilst it is quite true as to what America has done for the World some of your assumptions are incorrect. Most of the inventions of modern times have come from Europe.

Where are you getting your information from mushroom? Your imagination? Lets just set the record straight for once mushroom. Since all you have done in this thread is bash American Government and its people using deception, lies and making fantastic and wild whacked out predictions about what is about to happen to us, ALL of it DOOM and death to us all from our economy to our standing in the world.

It is time one of us tells you the way it is while I correct some of the fibs and white lies you have stated in this last post. The reason we Americans seem to think we are so above the rest of the world, is that we are happy being the one who lifts where ten will lean.

While our media may show the worst of America, from the dumbest blond coming out of a salon on Rodeo Drive, who can't remember the last name of the Vice President to our having been ranked No1 in prison population and drug abuse.

One of the reasons for both of those statistics, is drugs are illegal here and our way of dealing with it is to incarcerate the users. I never thought it was the best way to deal with a problem of our legal system here when the U.S. leads the world in drugs sold on television.

It seems giving the Drug companies air time to sell drugs made for restless leg syndrome and sleep disorders etc, consumerism has most of us either self medicating or being drugged by our Doctors and competition is fierce.

Is it any wonder why Pot is still illegal?

Yes they don't want Mom and Pop making their own biochemical recreation much less homegrown cures and / or relief for glaucoma and migraines etc. That is one of the dichotomies of our society and it troubles me to see the hypocrisy we have made of ourselves. I would also add that anyone who is without their own hypocrisy (or thinks they are,) is the biggest hypocrite of them all

It is what we know we can do as a nation that we have a certain confidence about that is often mistaken as a holier than thou arrogance and superior attitude but it is when others from other parts of the global community, are so condescending when talking to Americans that I find so curious.

I mean after all, when the latest world study of the top twenty-five innovations in the last quarter century were established, 22 of them were American. In fact without the number one ranked innovation in technology coming from The United States, you and I wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Yeah, that's right, the internet was ranked the number one innovation of the last quarter century.

The Internet made a world of information accessible to millions of people.SPECIAL REPORT

TOP INNOVATIONS
1. The Internet
2. Cell phone
3. Personal computers
4. Fiber optics
5. E-mail
6. Commercialized GPS
7. Portable computers
8. Memory storage discs
9. Consumer level digital camera
10. Radio frequency ID tags
11. MEMS
12. DNA fingerprinting
13. Air bags
14. ATM
15. Advanced batteries
16. Hybrid car
17. OLEDs
18. Display panels
19. HDTV
20. Space shuttle
21. Nanotechnology
22. Flash memory
23. Voice mail
24. Modern hearing aids
25. Short Range, High Frequency Radio YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

(CNN) -- The world was different before the Internet.

Without the Internet, you would not be reading this. There would be no way to instantly find the name of the movie your favorite actor was in five years ago or how much it costs to fly to Aruba. Shopping required braving the elements and the crowds. Paying bills relied on the postal service.

Today, with a couple of clicks, you can go anywhere in the world without leaving your computer.

So it should come as little surprise that the Internet (as we know it) headlined the top 25 innovations of the past quarter century, .

Mushroom, I have to correct you on the advent of the computer and as usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

The first computer was NOT made in Manchester by anyone in the UK, It was invented by German engineer Konrad Zuse who built the Z1 computer between 1936 and 1938.

So sorry mushroom, No Cigar. But Hey! How bout them Beatles huh!

I see why it is such a sore subject with many of the people in the UK because even when they come up with something so BIG so HUGE that can ride right along side of the worlds greatest innovation the internet, they still don't know how to turn a buck.

British software consultant Tim Berners-Lee created HTML (hypertext markup language) and its rules of usage (HTTP, hypertext transfer protocol) and in 1991 unveiled the World Wide Web, making no money from any of them

Awe = (

No cigar and no cup of tea,, pity too, really is a shame.
Moving right along, many cite the United States as not pulling it's weight as a Government when it comes to Charitable contributions but who is it that comes up with the grand gesture when there is a tsunami or a great earth quake.

Mushroom says it is misleading for us to think we are the Worlds biggest givers to third world and developing nations. The fact is, we don't do it under the auspices of Charity but development assistance.

The truth is mushroom, the world is very fortunate their is a place called the United States of America on this planet and the United States Leads the World in Development Assistance.

Yes that too is a fact Mushroom.

the United States remains the world leader in providing assistance to the developing world.

We are pleased to see that worldwide official development assistance in 2004 rose to its highest level ever, surpassing $78.6 billion for an aggregate increase of 4.6 percent. Once again, the United States is the leading donor nation with an increase of 14.1 percent in our official development assistance, bringing our total aid program to more than $19 billion. Official development assistance from the United States constitutes 24 percent of the world total, the highest share of such support in nearly 20 years. Since 2000, the United States has nearly doubled its aid to the developing world. Our current assistance levels are more than twice the commitment made by President Bush at the Monterrey Financing for Development Conference in 2002.

These levels are due to rise again significantly in the year 2005 because of the funds we have contributed to tsunami disaster relief and reconstruction and because the Millennium Challenge Corporation will begin to expend its funds. These figures demonstrate the strong U.S. commitment to development assistance. We will continue to ensure that this money is spent effectively and that it also is used to help galvanize support from the private sector.
www.state.gov...

So while you may or may not be correct about Russian Rockets, it was America's Space Shuttle that got most of the worlds satellites in the sky and was also ranked as one of the top all time greatest innovations in the last quarter century.

I hear people ridiculing the United States all the time from Canada to the UK and Europe about how stupid we are and how brain-dead that blond was on TV that didn't know her States Governors name.

We here in America laugh at that stuff too, we don't take ourselves so seriously we can't laugh at ourselves but when some bloke from the UK starts bum rapping us as if he thinks he know what he is talking about, then I have to BLIND them with Science so they will beg to see the truth. Until they are willing to open their damn eyes to the truth and the truth is The United States Leads The World In Science And Technology.

Not just by a little but by a LONG shot.

Yeah Mushroom No Cigar, No cup of Tea and No Crumpet for you

ScienceDaily (June 13, 2008) — Despite perceptions that the nation is losing its competitive edge, the United States remains the dominant leader in science and technology worldwide, according to a new RAND Corporation study.

The United States accounts for 40 percent of the total world's spending on scientific research and development, employs 70 percent of the world's Nobel Prize winners and is home to three-quarters of the world's top 40 universities.

Seems like you've been cherry picking your statistics mushroom so I thought I would do the same and see whose cherries are sweetest.

"Much of the concern about the United States losing its edge as the world's leader in science and technology appears to be unfounded," said Titus Galama, co-author of the report and a management scientist at RAND, a nonprofit research organization. "But the United States cannot afford to be complacent. Effort is needed to make sure the nation maintains or even extends its standing."

U.S. investments in research and development have not lagged in recent years, but instead have grown at rates similar to what has occurred elsewhere in the world -- growing even faster than what has been seen in Europe and Japan. While China is investing heavily in research and development, it does not yet account for a large share of world innovation and scientific output, which continues to be dominated by the United Statesresearchers.www.rand.org...

You want to know what the American worker is made of Mush? While you and your clique has accused us of sitting on our asses eating chips and getting stupid fat and lazy, the U.S. still leads the world by far in labor productivity per person employed by a long shot.

GENEVA (ILO News) – While productivity levels have increased worldwide over the past decade, gaps remain wide between the industrialized region and most others, although South Asia, East Asia, and Central & South-Eastern Europe (non-European Union) & CIS have begun to catch up, the International Labor Office (ILO) said in a new report (Note 1) published today.

The ILO report, entitled “Key Indicators of the Labor Market (KILM), fifth Edition” indicates that the U.S. still leads the world by far in labor productivity per person employed in 2006 despite a rapid increase of productivity in East Asia where workers now produce twice as much as they did 10 years ago.

What’s more, the report also shows that the productivity gap between the US and most other developed economies continued to widen. The acceleration of productivity growth in the US has outpaced that of many other developed economies: With US$ 63,885 of value added per person employed in 2006, the United States was followed at a considerable distance
www.ilo.org...

While you in the UK whine and bitch about the Lazy US and their greedy oil sucking fat mammas and poppas Cadillac's and SUV's, We here in America don't really talk about what we are doing and many times the world community doesn't even know we already lead the world in many alternative energy technologies and have many of them in operation already.

So why everyone is bitching about us not pulling our weight with the environment, just because we don't always brag like I have been hearing so many from EU and Canada, I feel I must clue them in on that too. When it comes to alternative and / re-usable sources of energy, the U.S. leads the world in that too.

U.S. Continues to Lead the World in Wind Power Growth

DOE Report Shows Growing U.S. Wind Power Market
WASHINGTON, DC – The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today released its first Annual Report on U.S. Wind Power Installation, Cost, and Performance Trends: 2006, which provides a detailed and comprehensive overview of development and trends in the U.S. wind power market. Most notably, the Report concludes that U.S. wind power capacity increased by 27 percent in 2006; and that the U.S. had the fastest growing wind power capacity in the world in 2005 and 2006. More than 61 percent of the U.S.'s total wind capacity - over 7,300 Megawatts (MW) - has been installed since President Bush took office in 2001.

"As we work to implement President Bush's Advanced Energy Initiative by increasing the use of home-grown, clean, affordable and renewable energy, we are eager to continue the trend of increasing the use of wind power at unprecedented rates," DOE Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Alexander Karsner said.

"Another record-breaking year of the United States installing more wind generating capacity than any other nation is indicative of the President's durable, pro-growth energy policy.

Very soon they will be completely dominating the Global market and will out match the US Militarily within a decade

Oh yea of little faith, you still think we don't know what's going on and think we are not preparing for the future. Hey pssssst mushroom,, C'mere,, PssssT MUSH! (whispering softly) Guess what,,

WE ARE THE FUTURE

You just don't get it do you,, why the hell do you think we are trying to outpace the world in Science and Technology? Who do you think they will have to thank for the assistance they get for development? Why do you think it was so important for us to have a presence in the middle east?

You all think it's about OIL ha ha ha silly brits, they have not a clue the technology we will have in a decade but you go ahead and bet on those others.

See where that gets ya lol our nanotechnology are biomed and military technology and our Yankee blood, sweat and tears will prevail and If i have to hear one more of your asinine America is Doomed stories I am going to start sending them to SNL and see if they can't do some comedy skits for brits.

If you weren't so jealous of us Mushroom, you'd be doing yourself a favor betting your money on the land of Milk and Honey.

The Greatest most Powerful Nation in the History of the world.

The United States of America.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by XIDIXIDIX]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

And they will probably say something like: "Velly solly, wong number, we no make prastic wubbish no more....you only sucker to buy.....we make someting else now, you want some?.....velly good, velly cheap, velly reriable!"

AHH HA HA HA Too funny! You got a good sense of humor and I like that in anyone from anywhere.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by XIDIXIDIX

Thanks for filling MM in on reality. What most of these anti-American types really don't want to face is that over the last twenty years the U.S. has gained in its leadership in technology and productivity.

It is even more dificult to deny that the U.S. is a good influence in this world when the U.S. is the leader in providing world wide charity. U.S. citizens are part of the U.S., and their contributions to charity are counted as U.S. contributions towards charity.

At some point in time MM should admit that maybe he is completely wrong about the U.S. and its role as the worlds leader.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ixd, you did not invent the Internet, it was invented at Cern, and if I remember correctly it was a UK citizen living in the US that launched it there. So out of the last several hundreds years of technological advances you post a couple of dozen about what America has done. Thats fine but what you and all the others who think like you is that you claim to have done everyting when you have not. You also dont give credit where it is due as to what others have done because your egos are that big you cannot bring yourselves to admit it.

And I find it rich that you and others here say I hate America when people of your ilk hate everyone who is not American and see yourselves superior to all others, abit like what Hitler and his Nazis thought really.

The fact that so many people around the World see you as an aggressor and a threat to peace is totally lost on you, perhaps this is because most Americans dont have passports and never travel so their view of the World and its people is what they get from your lying and corrupt media. Roughly 75% of the American populace dont have them so thats 225 million who have no real idea about the World or its people.

So when your own people say they dont agree with the Goverment and they should not be waging illegal wars and all the other dirty tricks they get up to whats your response to them, I would like to know. As you seem to think the only people who complain about America are none Americans. And as for your country being great yes its is at the moment but thats all going to change very soon, sooner than you think it is. And dont waste your time telling me if America falls it will affect avery country on the Planet. I know that but thats little comfort when millions of Americans are homeless, out of work and waiting in food queues.

The slide has already started and its going to get worse, how many people a day losing their homes 4000+ and idiots like you tell me everything is fine. The war in Iraq is costing the US taxpayer 12 billion every month to fight an illegal occupation and again the buffoon mentality think thats great. And thats money it is borrowing from other countries just so it can wage war. Americans have murdered more than 600k of their fellow Americans, more than in any conflict or terrorist attack since ww2 so if you want to know who's a threat to America just look around you.

You have your idiot Bush and his scumbag followers talking about nuking another country and you think thats good do you thats what you think makes your country great thats what your patriotism stands for dose it. And I may be wrong but I have not seen one patriot here on this thread denounce the war or a possible attack on Iran or any one else which just confirms the need for this thread.

If you want to start a thread on how great the US is then go ahead I'm sure I would post some positive comments but this thread is about the threat that your country poses to the rest of the World, perhaps instead of waving the flag and wearing those nice armbands you might want to discuss that.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom The fact that so many people around the World see you as an aggressor and a threat to peace is totally lost on you, perhaps this is because most Americans dont have passports and never travel so their view of the World and its people is what they get from your lying and corrupt media. Roughly 75% of the American populace dont have them so thats 225 million who have no real idea about the World or its people.

You and others like you love to use this tactic. This is at least the second time in this thread you have employed it.

It's meaningless in several ways. First, having a passport does not mean it's holder will travel the world. Most Eurpoeans have a passport because as I already pointed out to you in this thread, Europeans can travel by train or car through 2 or 3 or 4 countries in a day or two.

Second - It is not neccessary to be in a place to have a basic understanding (or idea in your words) of a place. Especially in this digital age. The internet was developed at CERN but brought to the world by US companies who invested in, and developed the hardware and infrastructure.

Using your stats (of uncertain origin) a 25 percent passport holding rate equals approximately 72.5 million US world travelers. Your little kingdom only has about 65 million people...total. What does this mean? I don't know. What's your countries passport holding rate?.... 75%?.....48 million passports? I wonder how far most of your fellow citizens travel on a regular basis ...France? Spain? That surley provides your populace with an oustanding world view right?

I know these statements are ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as you trying to assess my country based on how many people hold passports.

ETA

This may explain why the UK issues so many passports.

[edit on 7/30/2008 by darkbluesky]

I can't let this go. If 73 million US citizens hold passports, you can bet they are, for the most part, the "movers and shakers" of our society. Professionals... business, government and media leaders, educators, consumers of internationally traded goods, spenders, policy makers, newspaper readers, etc. So the people who basically set the tone for my country are well travelled and world savy to your way of thinking.

THERFORE, your attack on my country (specifically our cluelessnes due to lack of travel) is directed squrely at the little guy who you have repeatedly stated you had no contempt for, or issues with.

Make up your 'kin mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Ixd, you did not invent the Internet, it was invented at Cern, and if I remember correctly it was a UK citizen living in the US that launched it there. So out of the last several hundreds years of technological advances you post a couple of dozen about what America has done. Thats fine but what you and all the others who think like you is that you claim to have done everyting when you have not. You also dont give credit where it is due as to what others have done because your egos are that big you cannot bring yourselves to admit it.

No wrong again mushroom, THAT was the world wide web where we had to talk the UK into joining because they couldnn't see the possibilities in this and THAT's wht Ben Baby didn't make a damn dime because Brits don't know how to turn a buck and it is because of their socialism they can't see the forest for the trees in that regard.

The Web Materializes
A key result of all these happenings was that by 1989 CERN's Internet facility was ready to become the medium within which Tim Berners-Lee would create the World Wide Web with a truly visionary idea. In fact an entire culture had developed at CERN around "distributed computing", and Tim had himself contributed in the area of Remote Procedure Call (RPC), thereby mastering several of the tools that he needed to synthesize the Web such as software portability techniques and network and socket programming. But there were many other details too, like how simple it had become to configure a state of the art workstation for Internet use (in this case Tim's NeXT machine which he showed me while he was setting it up in his office), and how once on the Internet it was possible to attract collaborators to contribute effort where that was lacking at CERN.

The Cray represented CERN's first "supercomputer" according to US military and commercial standards and a serious security system was erected around it. As part of this system, in 1987 I purchased the first two Cisco IP routers in Switzerland (perhaps in Europe?), to act as IP filters between CERN's public Ethernet and a new secure IP segment for the Cray. I had met the founder of "cisco systems", Len Bosack, at a Usenix exhibition in the USA in June 1987 and been very impressed with his router and this filtering feature. Cisco was a tiny company with about 20 employees at that time, and doing business with them was very informal. It was hard to foresee the extent to which they would come to dominate the router market, and the growth that the market would undergo. Unfortunately I did not purchase any Cisco shares when a little later they went public...

Birth of the European Internet
In November 1987 I received a visit from Daniel Karrenberg, the system manager of "mcvax", a celebrated machine at the Amsterdam Mathematics Centre that acted as the gateway for all transatlantic traffic between the US and European sides of the world-wide "USENET", the Unix users' network that carried most of the email and news of that time using a primitive protocol called "uucp". Daniel had hit on the idea of converting the European side ("EUnet") into an IP network, just as major parts of the US side of USENET were doing at that time. The news and mail would be redirected to run over TCP/IP (using the SMTP protocol), unnoticed by the users, but all the other Internet utilities "telnet", "ftp", etc. would become available as well, once Internet connectivity was established. Even better, Daniel had personal contacts with the right people at the NIC who would grant him Internet connect status when he needed it. All he was missing was a device to allow him to run IP over some of the EUnet lines that were using X.25 - did this exist? I reached for my Cisco catalogue and showed him the model number he needed. Within a few months the key EUnet sites in Europe were equipped with Cisco routers, with the PTT's, regulators and other potential inhibitors none the wiser. The European IP network was born without ceremony.

CERN Joins the Internet
In 1988, the DC Group in DD Division (later renamed CS Group in CN Division) finally agreed to take on the support of TCP/IP, and what had been a shoestring operation, run out of SW Group with a few friendly contacts here and there, became a properly staffed and organized activity. John Gamble became the new TCP/IP Coordinator, performing this task until quite recently; he had just returned from extended leave at the University of Geneva where he had helped to set up one of the very first campus-wide TCP/IP networks in Europe. A year later, CERN opened its first external connections to the Internet after a "big bang" in January 1989 to change all IP addresses to official ones. (Until then, CERN had used an illegal Class A address, Network 100, chosen by myself).

CERN's external Internet bandwidth flourished, with a growing system of links and routers managed by Olivier Martin and Jean-Michel Jouanigot. Concurrently with the growth of the new European IP network (later to be incorporated as "RIPE" within the previously ISO-dominated organization "RARE"), many other players in Europe and elsewhere were changing their attitudes. Prominent among these was IBM, who not only began to offer a good quality mainframe TCP/IP LAN connection product of their own but also began to encourage migration of their proprietary BITNET/EARN network towards IP instead of the much more restricted RSCS-based service. They even began a subsidy programme called EASINET to pay line charges for Internet connection of their European Supercomputer sites of which CERN was one. In this way, the principal link (1.5 Mbit/sec) between Europe and the USA was located at CERN and funded by IBM for several years during the important formative period of the Internet

and if I remember correctly it was a UK citizen living in the US that launched it there.

Yep and I DID mention his name mushroom and where he was from, so WRONG AGAIN

Do you wanna try for the trifecta ! or shall I continue to justify your jealousy and ignorance to an even more shameful exhibit of just what everything you say isn't worth the bandwith you take up much less the effort correcting all the mistakes and lies.

,So out of the last several hundreds years of technological advances you post a couple of dozen about what America has done.

No if I were to post out of the last couple hundred years, I would have posted that war between America and Your country,, you know that one we womped your butts when you came over here in those fancy red coats. I would have posted how Churchil came here swinging on FDR's cahonies saying "please help us fight the germans" as he waddled around like a drunken fat idiot. ( how ya like this so far shroom?) Yeah you wanna get mouthy when all I am guilty of is telling the truth while you embarrass yourself AGAIN.

Thats fine but what you and all the others who think like you is that you claim to have done everyting when you have not. You also dont give credit where it is due as to what others have done because your egos are that big you cannot bring yourselves to admit it.

Well thats because no body else has invented a damn thing mushroom, we are the best the richest the smartest and the bestest. We are the biggest the baddest and get the most woman. anywhere else is just the dung I scrape off the bottom of my boot after I take it out of their butt for being so inferior. We are smarter, faster taller and better looking, why I can't wait till tomorrow I get better looking everyday!

We have the best food the best cars the best shows, the biggest (you know) and when we are done with iraq and iran we are going to go to the UK and rape and pillage taking your woman all your beer and all your money because we are Da No1 Babay! and we Rock!

You are just a commoner

And I find it rich that you and others here say I hate America when people of your ilk hate everyone who is not American and see yourselves superior to all others, abit like what Hitler and his Nazis thought really.

No actually we thought we were better than the Nazi's and we said lets go kick their ass! Because that is what we do.

Oh and why do you tell me about what others think of us? They don't matter in the least. Ta hell with them who cares whatcha gonna do about it! No one else matters but America!

(live it up mushroom)

The fact that so many people around the World see you as an aggressor and a threat to peace is totally lost on you, perhaps this is because most Americans dont have passports and never travel so their view of the World and its people is what they get from your lying and corrupt media. Roughly 75% of the American populace dont have them so thats 225 million who have no real idea about the World or its people.

Most Americans have been abroad more than once just by being a veteran. Once they have seen what's out there,, why the hell would they wanna go back? No place they'd rather be then here Mushroom!

Why should I eat hamburger when I got STEAK at HOME.

The fact is WE don't care about the rest of the world, so we are going to just take everyone else out of it and we will OWN the world! We are even going to change the name of the Planet from Earth to the Planet AmericA!

So when your own people say they dont agree with the Goverment and they should not be waging illegal wars and all the other dirty tricks they get up to whats your response to them, I would like to know. As you seem to think the only people who complain about America are none Americans. And as for your country being great yes its is at the moment but thats all going to change very soon,

The only thing that is going to change is your soiled underwear when our American Storm Troopers come to your house where we will HUFF

And PUFF,,

And Blow your country to kingdom come! Muhu HA HA HA !!! AH HA HA HA

Then we are going to play "We Are The Champions" by your rock band Queen just to rub it in your bloody faces bloke MuhuHAHHA!!!! Kill KIll Kill RedRum RedRum!

//end

Now that is the kind of post that I'd expect from us,

If I were as messed up as you are but now you can finally feel like you said something honest here

Have a nice life mushy, I'm done here, reading one more of your posts will make me retarded

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
IXD, Nobody invented anything but the US well you have confirmed to me that your are a complete and utter 1st rate imbeceil. And once again for all those members that call me names or isnsults me I DONT CARE ONE JOT.

And if thats the best you can throw at me then your a pushover Not one of you have had the b##** to state the wrongs of your nation in its actions abroad and in fact most of you are quite proud of it which in my book makes you nothing more than Nazis and in fact your country is turning into a Fascist state so I'm sure you will be wearing those nice uniforms and them shiny jackboots as you round up all those American that dont agree with you or your Goverment when Martial law is declared.

Dark, if you want to find out about people, their ways, traditions and culture you have to travel to educate yourself. So your wrong in thinking that you dont have too. People of the World travel all over most Americans dont thats a fact so dont tell me that they know whats going on because they dont. They have been so brainwashed by the media they dont know what reality is.

But thanks to you both keeping this thread going.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I..am not about to read all the posts in this thread, I think the fact it's still alive is ridiculous, but I can't stay quiet about something so...what's a word...extreme.

Now, one comment I saw, and literally had me crying and laughing at the same time, "America hasn't won one single war", well lets see...WWI, was an allied invasion...um...we won. Uhhhh...WWII was an allied invasion after the Japanese attacked (I'll get to that in a sec), and um......we're still here, and the Japanese got to see what happens when you drop a "real big bomb" on something. Two actually.

So lets see...we can't win a war huh? You have NO...NO...NO...NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...no no no...intelligence in the field of military combat, or analysis WHAT SO EVER, do you?

Short and sweet.
We are capable of destroying Iraq...
We are capable of destroying Iran...
We are capable of destroying China...
Russia...
Korea...
The whole damn Al Quaeda Network.

But guess what, unlike YOU, we CARE about innocent people caught in the crossfire, we CARE what happens to our economy, we CARE about who we're effecting. We KNOW that if we were to use methods such as those we do not speak of, we would be destroying more than just our enemies, resources. We'd be destroying people, just like you and me, while I may disagree with you, I wouldn't wish you to be liquidated by a nuclear weapon buddy.

I'm an American, and I have a pride and security in my country, more so than you apparently have in yours. What's wrong with your country in this picture?

P.S. Country Pride, and Patriotism is making me a Nazi?
I hope you aren't religious.

[edit on 31.7.2008 by Shugo]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroomPeople of the World travel all over......

Riiiiiiight.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

And if thats the best you can throw at me then your a pushover Not one of you have had the b##** to state the wrongs of your nation in its actions abroad and in fact most of you are quite proud of it which in my book makes you nothing more than Nazis and in fact your country is turning into a Fascist state so I'm sure you will be wearing those nice uniforms and them shiny jackboots as you round up all those American that dont agree with you or your Goverment when Martial law is declared.

Well, sorry, homeslice. I'll be the first to admit that the US gets involved in things they shouldn't. And we get involved in good things, too, you just fail to see or mention them.

And I don't care if you call me a Nazi. How many women dream of being tied down and ravished by a guy dressed as a liberal?

Originally posted by magicmushroom Dark, if you want to find out about people, their ways, traditions and culture you have to travel to educate yourself. So your wrong in thinking that you dont have too. People of the World travel all over most Americans dont thats a fact so dont tell me that they know whats going on because they dont. They have been so brainwashed by the media they dont know what reality is.

If I remember correctly, since this is now a freakin' long thread, you were just against the US Government, but now, you seem to be bashing anyone that's an American.

Try this on for size. Get a map of North America. Find Wichita, Kansas. Now, in a 24 hour period of time, travelling 55 MPH, how far do you think someone would get, travelling north or south? You think they'd reach Canada or Mexico?

Now, get a map of Europe and travel the same distance. How many countries could you visit in that same 24 hour period of time? When I was in Germany, I could easily hit Holland, Belgium, Lux, and probably France.

So, you're argument about US people not visiting other countries is a bit faulty. It's more difficult for us here then Europeans.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well, i`ve followed this topic from the beginning and i`ve even added my 2 cents into it. Now i`m adding more. What I see is the people from America sticking up for their country, and there is nothing wrong with that. I`ve read many reasons why they stick up for it. Some say we have the right to go into Iraq or Iran, because our government is right about this. But, are they right? How many different reasons do they give to justify it? The reasons are never the same. Oil, WMD, dictatorship over the people and human rights are the reasons given why we`re there. So, which is it? One of them, two of them, or all the above? My thinking is, don`t believe anything a government says that will not go before it`s people first to ask what they would do in a situation like this. Would you not want to consult your people first before taking such a large leap like this? I sure wouldn`t in this case. That is why you see so many in this country right now standing up and questioning what the government is doing. And why shouldn`t they when so many of our leaders are being caught in lies of one kind or another. They show you evidence of some nature as to why we need to be in these other countries, and then run off and do it. Not even waiting to see what people may think about it first. It`s like them saying, look this is why we are doing this, so take it or leave it, we are doing this anyway. I`m not buying it, not till your evidence is proven one way or the other. I have a feeling that it may come out in the open one day soon, as to the real reason we are over there.

Now, for you MM. Do you love your country? Do you stand up to people who bash your country for what it does? I`m not saying either country has always been right in what they have done over the years, and I can safely say many would agree with this. Myself, I love my country and what it once stood for, but I will not support a government that is out of control and tries to cover up it`s wrong doings in any way shape or form. Wanting to destroy another country because you do not agree with its policies makes you no different then the one you hate. It`s not logical thinking at all. You want to kill us because we`re killing others over there? What if people over here said to you, we don`t like your country because of the way you moved into India and other countries and took them over and you should be attacked because of it? Would that be right? No, so why is it right when you say it? My opinion, I could care less what other countries are doing, as long as they let us alone and not try and move in on us to take us over. We should keep our military right here in this country to make ourselves so strong, that no one would ever dare to invade us for fear of being destroyed in the process. All of the above is my opinion alone.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by FiatLux]

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join