It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fashion (or Fascism?) Police: Flint Cracks Down on Sagging Pants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Fashion (or Fascism?) Police: Flint Cracks Down on Sagging Pants

www.newsweek.com

Young people call this unkempt look a fashion choice. But for David Dicks, Flint's new police chief, it's a national nuisance. Dicks has ordered his officers to start arresting "saggers," as some aficionados of this sartorial style call themselves, on sight, threatening them with jail time and hefty fines for a fad he calls "immoral self expression." He later told a local paper the style could give officers probable cause to search saggers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Should a person's style of dress be subject to the authority to INCARCERATE them? This Police Chief seems to think so!

I'll be the first to admit that I think the whole "sagging" look is sloppy and embarrassing, but how on earth that is a CRIMINAL offense is beyond me...

What are we coming to...

I hope the ACLU stops this Authoritorian nonsense ASAP.

"Under no stretch of the imagination does wearing saggy pants that reveal the top of one's boxer shorts violate the Flint disorderly conduct ordinance," says attorney Greg Gibbs, the president of the Flint chapter of the ACLU. "This man has basically taken his personal dislike of a style of dress and made it a violation of criminal law." Gibbs says the chapter will act after Monday if Dicks doesn't change the policy. The police chief declined an interview request from NEWSWEEK.

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My brother had a conversation with a Sheriff's Deputy about saggers just this past week. The deputy said she liked them to wear the sag because it kept them from running as fast when they were trying to get away.

join