It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court says 'gay' rights trump Christian rights

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

That is the end of the parable of the talents. Jesus is telling a story that illustrates a point about taking what one is given and building on it. The last line you quoted is dealing with the nobleman's response to the servant who kept the talent given him laid up in a napkin. Context, context, context!

Luke 19

11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Personally I don't really care much for either side when protests get this way, but such is the way of angry people.

While I can see why the group might have been seen as a disruption, I'm pretty sure that the pink angels had things pretty well in hand (aside from restricting movement).

To me it seems a close parallel to the Westboro baptist folks and the soldiers funerals with the Patriot Guard Riders.

I've never really seen why Christians get so enraged or involved with homosexuality. Seems to me to be cherry-picking sin.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

You can't answer the first question because they weren't. I personally think the opinion of the attorney representing the Philly 11 is valid, and will prevail in a higher court, if the case is allowed to proceed. There is no lie in quoting it on my part. I didn't claim it was anything else, or ascribe it to a judge. You are really reaching there.

Case over? The fact that the charges were dropped speaks volumes to liability exposure the city and police were aware of. They dropped the charges because they didn't dare put this case in front of a jury.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Public property, public event. No permit needed to be there and speak out.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I understand where you are coming from, and I respect your right to self-determination. I am not an activist of that sort. If someone I encounter is seeking a closer relationship with Christ I am more than happy to discuss it with them. I said before that I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on anyone else.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
...and equal justice for all!

NOT!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/7/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
So, I taught my dog this new trick the other day. When I tell him "Be the F*g". he holds 1 paw up in a very limp fashion. So what this court ruling tells me is I dont have to put him down. JK

and for all the haters.

I have many friends that are gay and they think the thing with my dog is hilarious so if you have a problem with it, your taking yourself way to seriously... IMO

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The thing is, as this was TAXPAYER FUNDED, all tax payers have the right to participate and speak their mind. If these gays wanted to close the doors to detractors, they shouldnt have the city footing the bill. The judge is way out of line on this, but more importantly, the city should not be funding anything of this sort. I rather think people would be outraged if the city funding a christian rally, would they not?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
So let me get this straight here.. (Pun intended) If Nazis or the KKK came to town and there was a counter protest would we see the counter protesters jailed?

Or here is a better example... Basically the ruling states... "The homosexuals are give free reign at public expense (tax Payer Funded) over the privilege of others who are supposed to have the same exact rights." Hmmm... Seems to me the Boy Scouts of America could use this ruling to disallow homos in their ranks and still have public funding for their facility needs...

Homos can't have it both ways... Or can they? Sick is what it is... When society gives more rights to a small group of degenerates over the BSOA you know we have a problem in this country and that is what this ruling says. Homos have more rights than the normal person on the street...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by re22666

im not sure where this started or who exactly said what but it would be nice if you could just ignore christians in this country. there are so many differing religions in the US but the christians are the only ones who routinely lobby and boycott and just basically underminel, the government and the public marketplace soooo. they are kinda hard to just ignore.

This may come as a shock, but even Christians are plagued by the very thing you mention. After all, there's no cross in my front yard, so anyone going door-to-door has no idea who lives here. And I will admit it is sorta frustrating when they stop by at a bad time.

The difference is, I can take the time to look at them and say "Sorry, I'm busy". If they persist, I can say "Go away! I'm busy!" Yeah, it would be nice if they hadn't showed up at all, but take a look at what that entails.

Firstly, someone will have to decide which denominations are to be denied the right to walk up a driveway or talk to others. Now, depending on who's in office, that could extend to any group. Secondly, we have to get rid of that First Amendment thing. Since I highly doubt we can get an amendment to cover that, we would have to simply dissolve the Constitution. That means you no longer have freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom to own a gun, freedom to petition the government, etc., unless the government allows you to. Do you really want that?

Also, please remember that, even though I claim to be a Christian, there is no central group that organizes this. These are individual people that I don't even know, so when you attack me because of something someone else has done, you are wasting your time and energy and making yourself look like a fool. Why not demand your neighbor release the UFO files from the US Military? that makes about as much sense.

TheRedneck

P.S. I really hate those guys who put flyers on my windshield in the parking lots. Can we discriminate against them too?

Edited to get my amendments right.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by TheRedneck]

let me see if i get this straight. people come to your door and harass you for being christian because you do not have a cross in your yard warding them off?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

Originally posted by re22666
here is a little challenge

1. can anyone out there, anyone at all, provide any scientific evidence that even shows there is a good chance that homosexuality is a trait and not a choice?

It seems it could be at least partially determined by genetics and partially by environment.

Personally, I like this article (just quick picks on my part).

sexuality.about.com...

www.livescience.com...

Seeing as we're more like the other lifeforms on this planet than unlike them, I'll keep an open mind for now.

ok now onto challenge 2.
anyone have at least that much evidence that christianity is a trait?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by john-Q
So, I taught my dog this new trick the other day. When I tell him "Be the F*g". he holds 1 paw up in a very limp fashion. So what this court ruling tells me is I dont have to put him down. JK

and for all the haters.

I have many friends that are gay and they think the thing with my dog is hilarious so if you have a problem with it, your taking yourself way to seriously... IMO

just curious but why would you have had to put him down prior to this law?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed
So let me get this straight here.. (Pun intended) If Nazis or the KKK came to town and there was a counter protest would we see the counter protesters jailed?

Or here is a better example... Basically the ruling states... "The homosexuals are give free reign at public expense (tax Payer Funded) over the privilege of others who are supposed to have the same exact rights." Hmmm... Seems to me the Boy Scouts of America could use this ruling to disallow homos in their ranks and still have public funding for their facility needs...

Homos can't have it both ways... Or can they? Sick is what it is... When society gives more rights to a small group of degenerates over the BSOA you know we have a problem in this country and that is what this ruling says. Homos have more rights than the normal person on the street...

while i agree with your premise it should be either or neither as far as tax funds or at least voted on locally but your severe homophobia completely detracts from any hint of an intellectual stance you may have originally portrayed.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm
The outcome of your choices are varying degrees of heaven or hell.

Which is why christian dead-enders work so hard at converting others. Misery loves company.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
If gays protested at TAX EXEMPT churches every sunday I'm sure you will all kick up a fuss too for trying to live your lives.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Icarus Rising, uh, umm, I really wish you could read my mind. I will not be a Troll. What would GOD say? Oh yeah, we do not know as he did not write a single word in that book you quoted. We did. Harassing your brothers in God's name is just perverted, as you agree?. They were creating a disturbance and it was handled properly on site. Enjoy your freedom of speech and cherish it, as a little piece of me just died for YOUR rights....

~Hypno

[edit on 20-7-2008 by HypnoAsp]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
What if Donald Trump was a gay rights activist?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I said before that I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on anyone else.

The fact you have posted numerous quotations from the Bible and proclaimed your faith throughout this thread makes me beg to differ

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

pavil video posted on page 3 is the funniest video of the day, I suggest you all watch it.

On topic... you need a good female and male role model in parenting, so as long as one of the guys is more effeminate then I guess it's Ok.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join