It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the staff at ATS here feel responsible for the sanity of the members?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I am worried about the sanity of some of the members here. There are plenty of members here that are completely sane. We don't fit the "insane conspiracy nutjob" stereotype that many people have. I do see a few members that I would think would be insane as they go and create elaborate hoaxes. I believe that their mind might be too weak for such a website like ATS.

I imagine the staff members here care about the sanity of certain members. I just can imagine that there might come a time when some members might lose their grip on reality, and, might go out of control... and then... hoax stories... and then they would go onto think that they should have never come to this website after they were banned.

It's just a worry that I have. Perhaps it's an issue that ATS should look more closely at? My question is whether the staff feel obligated to protect the sanity of some of the weaker minded members here.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
i actually worry about the sanity of the staff - not because i believe any of them are insane , but rather the sanity erroding crap they have to endure to keep ATS on track

unlike members , mods and staff do not have the ` luxury ` of the ignore button nor can they just throw their hands up and click away from a thread - they HAVE TO read all of it and deal calmly and rationally with all T&C violations

and when they do attempt to enforce the quite relxed T&C they are offten subject to abuse and attack

the staff get called nazis , CIA drones etc etc on a regular basis

its the staff whoes sanity is under daily attack - remember that

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Well, the dont really have to wade through all the threads. They can walk away from the position. It is, as far as I can tell a voluntary position.

And they do get some perks. While some members are a little crusty towards them, there seems to be a fair number of members who are very appreciative, and solicitous of them as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I believe I was slowly going sane before I found ATS and other Internet forums.

Seems like eons ago that I was rushing down to Radio Shack to buy my first computer. I quickly found message boards and relay chat.

From then on it was all up hill to almost total insanity. The happiest people I know are total nut jobs. We get along very well.

If we were to eliminate "things" that could cause a person to react badly we would have to do away with most movies, songs, magazines, books and ban the Internet.

A person is ultimately responsible for their own mental behaviour. If they cannot handle reality then they need a keeper.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i actually worry about the sanity of the staff - not because i believe any of them are insane , but rather the sanity erroding crap they have to endure to keep ATS on track

unlike members , mods and staff do not have the ` luxury ` of the ignore button nor can they just throw their hands up and click away from a thread - they HAVE TO read all of it and deal calmly and rationally with all T&C violations

and when they do attempt to enforce the quite relxed T&C they are offten subject to abuse and attack

the staff get called nazis , CIA drones etc etc on a regular basis.

I strongly agree with this assessment. The staff has a very tough job and I know of several instances where they have endured tremendous assault on them personally and had to maintain their cool.

There is probably a chance of people getting 'medical student's disease', which is a tendency to over interpret every ache and pain as a terminal disease as they begin their study of medicine and work in the Emergency Room. They begin to fear everything in life, and realize how vulnerable we are.

Some of them cope and some, being young can compartmentalize, others have to drop out, and so forth.

Similarly, people who watch a lot of violent drama shows on TV and read a lot of newspapers start to believe the world is more dangerous and violent than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, the world is dangerous and violent but the feeling gets concentrated and over-hyped and some people become afraid to venture out, becoming house bound. You don't want that to happen, so beware warning signs and take frequent breaks.

Actually the best method for dealing is simply that - take a break. Other ways might include skipping over some posts and staying away from some forums if they start to bother you. Don't believe everything you read. In fact, take a step back in most cases and just view things as 'info-tainment'.

Go to the information and science forums, survival, practical advice, cooking, and other types of posts. You still enjoy the ATS experience but you limit the potential for psychic or psychological dismay.

I think we do remarkably well. There are only a few occasions of true crack-pottery and cranks and hoaxers and everyone is usually pretty polite. Veterans of UseNet will recognize that ATS is very high in quality to the insanity you sometimes find there. UseNet used to be a very good resource, populated by scientists and geeks and intellectuals. Many groups are still quite good once you use filters. We owe a lot of thanks to the staff and the Amigos for making ATS a superb resource similar to the original UseNet.

I've said it before, ATS is a superb arena for learning to be 'better than you are', learning patience, humor, coping, and polite discourse. Use it for that and make your own positive contributions, bringing up the quality and most will be OK. Be your own 'army of one' with regard to quality input.

2 cents.

Good thread and good post IA. I'd star it if it was in open forum.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I actually worry about what many define as sane and insane.

I always wondered why I had low ATS and IQ points

Just try to be patient with me as you would a handicapped person and let me continue my drive by irrelevant responses. You will be rewarded in the end for your kindness.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by prometheus1111]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
If someone is actually insane, one of the last things they will ever worry about is whether they appear insane on an internet forum.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I think there are a notable amount of users on ATS that are literally mentally unstable or have mental health problems, but its not enough to constitute a plurality and its less here than it is on other conspiracy sites. However, I wouldn't hold the staff accountable, these sites will always attract some people who are unstable.

I did see something in the archives that was disturbing. There was a teenager who shot up his school school (relatively minor compared to some of the ones that happened in the USA over the past few years). It wasn't caused by ATS, but he posted some of his "theories" on here and showed strong tendencies of being mentally ill from what I could read from his posts in the archive. Instead of anyone advising him to seek professional help, people were telling him that he had true insight and that there was nothing wrong with him. Of course, there was nothing that could be done because staff aren't trained psychiatrists. Its just the climate of the board sometimes only helps further the paranoia and delusions of some. Its just a consequences of the subject matter.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

What exactly does a trained psychiatrist do?
Pimps pharma giants that manufacture psych meds. cha ching ($$$$)
Makes a substantial amout of money. Enough to purchase a mil house if they wish.
Identify those that arent going along with the scheduled programming.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
To the above poster: This is not a place for your propaganda. It is people like you that cause people with mental health issues not to get the help they need. Thanks in part to people like you encouraging those with obvious mental problems, at least one former ATS member committed a school shooting and killed himself.

But in any case that was an aside, the point is that THE STAFF ARE NOT PSYCHIATRISTS, so they cannot be responsible for the mental health of the members.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
ATS is a cross section of humanity. Sure we have a differnet focus than many other groups but as with any large group we are all unique individiuals who bring thier own life experience to the table.

There may be a few of us ATS'ers out there with the credentials to diagnose mental illness but I am not one of them. And trying to break out your DSM-IV and identify who is mentaly ill and who is not is all but impossible with this medium. Id go out on a limb and even suggest its dangerous speculation.

But in any case that was an aside, the point is that THE STAFF ARE NOT PSYCHIATRISTS, so they cannot be responsible for the mental health of the members.

ATS is alike a large extended family for many of us. Somewhat dysfunctionsal at times
but a family none the less. When a family member seems to be walking a dark path we do try to identify resources to them for help. But you cannot force that upon them. However, as noted above we are not psychiatrists and playing amatuer pshrink would in all likelyhood do more harm than good.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I am worried about the sanity of some of the members here. There are plenty of members here that are completely sane. We don't fit the "insane conspiracy nutjob" stereotype that many people have. I do see a few members that I would think would be insane as they go and create elaborate hoaxes. I believe that their mind might be too weak for such a website like ATS.

Here we go again.... yet another " I need to save the world from nut jobs" post...

Just WHO are YOU to decide who is insane or not? How can you pass judgment on ANYONE posting here...???

First of all many posters have the anoniminity here of an avatar and can act and say things they might not 'normally' do so using what is written as proof of insanity is ridiculous...

You say...
"We don't fit the "insane conspiracy nutjob" Who is "we"? What makes you think you speak for any majority here? Personaly I have a problem with those 'types' that feel their version of reality is the only 'correct' one and everyone else is bonkers and needs help

I imagine the staff members here care about the sanity of certain members. I just can imagine that there might come a time when some members might lose their grip on reality, and, might go out of control... and then... hoax stories... and then they would go onto think that they should have never come to this website after they were banned.

How is a hoaxer insane? Kids have been pulling pranks on people long before the internet was around... that doesn't qualify them for the looney bin... What do you consider a 'hoax story'? I am willing to bet you would include any one who says they have been abducted by aliens and other such topics... I could be wrong but I doubt it

It's just a worry that I have. Perhaps it's an issue that ATS should look more closely at? My question is whether the staff feel obligated to protect the sanity of some of the weaker minded members here.

You know I would be more worried about someone who makes it there mission to defend 'the truth' as they see it... These people are the ones that are the scary ones... we need to watch out for them... In my line of research people have often asked me if I am concerned about the MIB's... No I find the real danger to be those that are so sure they are right about everything to take it upon themselves to 'correct' my thinking

I have seen many here at ATS ... even their Avatars shopw this... that go from thread to thread with an obvious mission to defend their version of truth... they scream "Deny Ignorance" yet they mean "Deny Freedom of Thought"

I think with the OP statement you need to define what YOU consider "insane behavior" on ATS... and then show us some statistics where anyone making 'insane statements' on ATS has gone out and commited insane acts...

When the day comes that people cannot speak their mind just because YOU or others like you don't like what they say or how they say it... that day America is doomed...

ATS is an outlet for many... and the 'way out there' topics tend to be self controlled by member participation... even the 'craziest' person out there can find someone to relate to and as long as it doesn't go beyond the already stringent T&C where is the harm?

If you do not like what someone is saying WHY OH WHY do people like you INSIST on going into the thread in the first place... and if you came in thinking it was something else... why do you STAy? If you think the poster is insane... why would you try to debate or argue with an insane person?

Just leave the room.. If everyone thought the person was nuts... the room would soon empty. I se hundreds of threads here that an OP makes a comment then doesn't even come back after a few posts yet the thread goes on forever.... because the 'defenders' are still there attacking the OP and the 'believers' are rallying to his support

Now THAT is insane

ATS is a conspiracy site
ATS deals with Alien and UFO stories, theories about what's on other planets
ATS deals with what is your government doing to you behind your back

Very few of the topics here are stuff you will see on CNN the 'normal' news... so one would expect to find people drawn here that have alternate views and a different thought process..

To call someone insane based on your perception? Look in the mirror and see the insanity looking back

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Does anyone expect the staff to be any more or less sane than the site members?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Now if you want a "Mission" may I suggest THIS thread?

I Want OUT!!!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Again zorgon I agree with what you have to say and couldnt have said it better.

Remember that many brilliant minds have been accused of being 'insane' by those that were outsane.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Remember that many brilliant minds have been accused of being 'insane' by those that were outsane.

Hehe

In reply to that let me offer some proof...

Exhibit A

This person was a high school drop out, had issues with the barber like most 'insane' people... especially those we call 'mad scientists'... his work was directly responsible for the death and destruction of two cities...

Yet he became famous...

Exhibit B

This person has an IQ of 91... and is directly responsible for the death of thousands... and suspected of 'conspiracy of the highest level' against the American people...

Yet he still Rules...

And here is the face of all those who think the those who are 'different' are 'insane'... don't believe me? Just visit any thread... and see how many times in a 'defenders' post you will see this...

The laughter of insanity...

Wise men once said...

"Never judge a book by it's cover"

"Judge not lest YE be Judged"

And the most insane of all... the one who decide for the rest of us what is or is not insane...

"He is also renowned for his redefinition of sexual desire as the primary motivational energy of human life which is directed toward a wide variety of objects, as well as his therapeutic techniques, including the use of free association, his theory of transference in the therapeutic relationship, and the interpretation of dreams as sources of insight into unconscious desires."

Sounds crazy to me... a REAL lunatic...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I was completely insane long before I joined ATS (doctor certified), so in no way should the staff or mods feel any responsibility for me being totally nuts.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hah, I agree with Zorgon also.

As most know the pop definition of Insanity is-
Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results!

In that sense we are all a little guilty, posting here, trying to make a difference, haha.

But is the OP trying to 'label' people and thus have a ready made pigeon hole?

Or is the OP using a loose definition, really meaning 'troubled'.

I took it to mean 'troubled', but in a mild sense.

But, talk about 'insanity' from my perspective as a cyclist and road bike rider.

Drivers are insane. They see a vulnerable pedestrian or bike rider and they try and speed up and 'buzz them'. Now, like the dog which chases cars, what would the driver do if they succeeded and hit the person. Oh, oh, they'd be mortified. But in their driving induced insanity they completely miss this fact.

So, some people 'go insane', or go irrational.

Other definitions would be Obsessive Compulsive behavior. Checking the doors and lights and stove and washing hands, and yes, folks, checking for Bigfoot in the back yard, or aliens flying over head due to reading too much ATS. But at least that form of 'non-sanity' is harmless. Just take a break.

I know some people who are religiously insane. They go to church and read the bible and sit by the door ready to shoot anyone who comes up on the porch who doesn't look like them. They seriously think the body count will help them get into 'heaven'.

Really, I'm a little surprised that we all are able to handle reality with any semblance of sustained normalcy.

Here's a little video to lighten up the mood.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
zorgon and badge! You are the best and most ibnsane of us all! I have laughed for the first time today at you both!
Now get outside and play!

top topics

join