It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope says sorry for 'evil' of clergy sex abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Pope says sorry for 'evil' of clergy sex abuse

CNN

(CNN) -- Pope Benedict XVI on Saturday offered his strongest public statement yet on sex abuse against minors by Roman Catholic priests, apologizing to victims and calling the abuse "evil."

The apology came during a mass in Sydney, Australia, and expands on comments the pope made during an April visit to the United States, during which he publicly acknowledged the pain the church's sex abuse scandal has caused and met privately with abuse victims.

"Indeed, I am deeply sorry for the pain ... "
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/19/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Do you accept his apology? It doesn't affect me directly since I haven't experienced it myself nor know anyone who has, but I'm sure some people here may know of it.

CNN
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/19/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
he didn't apologize for the abuse the nuns did to the girls or apologize for the cover up by all the bishops to protect the church...he's only sorry because its costing the church hundreds of millions in payouts to victims.....

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I don't see why they can't just marry and be done with it. They're human, after all.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
I don't see why they can't just marry and be done with it.

Marriage doesn't cure pedophilia.
Celebacy doesn't cause pedophilia.

Those who did these things were pervs long before they entered the priesthood. Pedophiles are always on the hunt. They see the 'religious life' and teaching positions in schools as positions in which to engage in rich hunting grounds.

As for the question by the OP - apologies are always good - as long as they are followed up by ACTION.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
Do you accept his apology?

Not at all. I see him not taking any measures to prevent this happening again, and let's face it, we all know it will.
Simply saying "sorry", and calling it "evil" is just not good enough.

And IMHO, and only IMHO, he's probably one of the worst of the worst.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
I don't see why they can't just marry and be done with it.

Marriage doesn't cure pedophilia.
Celebacy doesn't cause pedophilia.

Those who did these things were pervs long before they entered the priesthood. Pedophiles are always on the hunt. They see the 'religious life' and teaching positions in schools as positions in which to engage in rich hunting grounds.

As for the question by the OP - apologies are always good - as long as they are followed up by ACTION.

I think giving them a sexual outlet would cure a lot of the problems, as not having one is probably also part of the problem.

It's like homosexuality in jails - it happens because the people need an outlet for their natural urges.

I'm not saying there aren't scheming paedo's who do think "i'll have access to altar boys!" when joining, but I'm sure much of it is just the cumulation of 30 years of no sex!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I would agree with many here. This apology comes too late and is very shallow. As mentioned no action has really transpired and given the depth of the problem how can any reasonable person interpret his message with sincerity. This is all about money, always has been always will be. The church has no moral objective at stake here, they need to re-line their greasy pockets. I think my 1st signature quote says it all.

brill

[edit on 19-7-2008 by brill]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I would only accept the apology if the next statement was something to the effect of :

"since the catholic church is full of complete sicko's, and is corrupt at it's very core, we are closing up shop, and donating all of our billions of dollars, and church buildings to the people in the communities in which they are. We are sorry that we enslaved, and oppressed a giant segment of the worlds population, raping and pillaging as we went. Our twisted religion of world domination has come to an end."

I would accept that.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
mmm it's great he said sorry and all, but that's not going to fix all the problems it has caused the church - esp.to do with their image, unfortuatly the image of the church is forever tainted because of the wrong doings of some of the members. And on top of that it kinda taints the image of christanity as a whole

-fm

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
My opinion is similar to everybody's here. Although he apologized and all, until I see some actions being taken, it doesn't mean much.

new topics

top topics

join