It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Optimism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Everyday, on the news (whatever the medium), on ats, we see and hear that we are continually going down hill as a population of this planet but more emphasis on the United States. Whether it's the economy, climate, wars etc it all points to a dismal picture of the present and the future. There are people that believe these sources because these people seem to have done their homework. Whether it be conspiracy blogs, newspapers, people with phd attached to their name etc.. They all seem to have alot of information that gives the justification for coming to such conclusions. On top of that, there are so called "researchers" that claim they have been "researching" for decades on subjects regarding NWO, secret societies, ancient religions etc.. and release videos, have conferences, powerpoint presentations that make the viewer believe "wow these guys seem to have done their homework."

After spending any amount of time believing what these people have to say, a person comes away with the view that their is nothing good in the world, nothing will get better, and everyone that doesn't believe this are "sheeple" or as a poster called me, a "kool aid drinker".

In my opinion, there is nothing more dangerous than substituting actual reality with this pseudo-reality. In this pseudo-reality, personal responsibility is thrown out the window in favor of "lets figure out who to blame for our problems." In many cases, people who believe this pseudo-reality think why get a better job or why shoot for the dreams and aspirations I had as a child because the world is going down the toilet anyway. Instead of making one self's life better, this pseudo-reality instills an attitude of self-pity, paranoia, blame, and a lack of self esteem because in this pseudo-reality, there is no point.

In my opinion, there is also nothing more dangerous than redefining happiness. In this pseudo-reality, happiness is redefined as the destruction of a person or of a system such as economy or government. Happiness in this pseudo-reality also tends to be more selfish in the way that if the world doesn't operate perfectly to the person's content, then it must be destroyed or there is no reason to be happy.

Greed is also redefined as wanting more money, more knowledge, or simply a child that is born into a household where the parents happen to be successful is considered greedy. In this pseudo-reality, the "haves" are supposed to give everything they have to the "have-nots."

But there in lies the problem with this kind of thinking. The "haves" are the people that have worked for their success, taken chances, and taken advantage of system which is in place in the western countries to better themselves.

The "have-nots" are simply the people that have not worked for the things the want, or not taken chances (ex. moved to a different place in order to get a better job or education), not taken advantage of the system (students loans etc).

The mindset in this pseudo-reality is that we should not work to be successful in order to give our children (in other words, the future) a better life and more opportunities so they might have an easier life than we. Instead we should all wallow in self pity and paranoia so we keep pumping out kids with the same mindset and never improve anyone's life.

A REASON TO BE OPTIMISTIC

THE PRESENT

Skyfloating did an excellent job in his debate using data to dismiss that the world has been going down the toilet here. In fact he did such a good job I don't know if I can add much to it. You cannot deny the data that says regardless where you are in the world, conditions are getting better. Less wars, less poverty, less cancer deaths, longer lives, etc ad nauseum

Face it. Those who live in the pseudo-reality have been sold snake oil. Its time to step back into reality.

will continue tomorrow...

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I think you're on to something! Where does it all end?!? Smile, and get an electrical shock?

A War On Optimism - great, that all we need.... just when I thought things couldn't get any worse!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
A REASON TO BE OPTIMISTIC

THE FUTURE

How can anyone not be optimistic about the future? We are sending people back to the moon to establish a base of operations and soon after to exploit the resources we have there. They have found everything the need on the moon to build a civilization up there including oxygen. They have found a like clean future energy source there He-3.

Lunar samples collected by Apollo astronauts show the resource is so plentiful that the Earth's energy needs could be accommodated for at least 1,000 years

Some early estimates place the value of helium-3 equivalent to buying oil at $7 a barrel.

Source

Space tourism and space hotels is on the verge of becoming economically feasible for private enterprise to start investing. (ex. Virgin Galactic)

Technology has opened pandora's box with the advent of nano-technology. In 20 years the things we are using will look like caveman tools compared to what we will have.

Visions of the Future: The Intelligence Revolution

Google Video Link

Visions of the Future: The Biotech Revolution

Google Video Link

Visions of the Future: The Quantum Revolution (my personal favorite)

Google Video Link

And lets not forget that by 2050 we will send man to mars.

To those that will be alive for the next 50 years, count your blessings, and strap in, its gonna be an amazing ride.

Face it. The world is gonna become better and better and there is nothing you can do about it!!

"Science fiction is merely unrealized science fact" sleeper

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
I think you're on to something! Where does it all end?!? Smile, and get an electrical shock?

Sadly some members seem to wish that to happen

A War On Optimism - great, that all we need.... just when I thought things couldn't get any worse!

This is what I feel is the case. So many people have such a grim look on the present and on the future that they cannot possibly believe that things will get better. Luckily, they have no choice, the world will continue to get better and better without their approval.

btw I was considering calling it War on reality but I figured that might rip a hole in space-time

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

I agree with your thread. A couple of people close to me are miserable and depressed from thinking that all effort is futile. However, I think the solution is to maybe bring both the "psuedo-reality" and "actual-reality" together, with a side of high hopes for improvement. I am really tired at the moment so I may have misconstrued your intitial mesage, but I really think we should not dismiss the possibility of the "psuedo-reality" being the "actual-reality".

Overall I like what you said.

-Joe-

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
So, they are using the power of the Secret against us. You know The Secret, the Law of Attraction? Well, perhaps they are making people pessimistic and cynical because in doing so we attract those negative energies that manifest in our reality.

Just so you know. While, I do believe positive thinking is good for you I don't think it can manifest real solid things, but what about an atmosphere of despair?

Just thought I'd add an esoteric angle to the thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

I agree with your thread. A couple of people close to me are miserable and depressed from thinking that all effort is futile. However, I think the solution is to maybe bring both the "psuedo-reality" and "actual-reality" together, with a side of high hopes for improvement. I am really tired at the moment so I may have misconstrued your intitial mesage, but I really think we should not dismiss the possibility of the "psuedo-reality" being the "actual-reality".

Overall I like what you said.

-Joe-

I agree that the world is not perfect, nor will it ever be. But is not the perception of perfect in the eye of the beholder?

I think the problem is when people live exclusively in this pseudo-reality and can't see any good in the world and also, like your friends, any effort to better oneself is futile.

To these people that live in this pseudo-reality, what is the purpose of life? Simply to wait for death?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
You know The Secret, the Law of Attraction? Well, perhaps they are making people pessimistic and cynical because in doing so we attract those negative energies that manifest in our reality.

I think it goes without saying that if a person continually believes the world is a depressing place, they themselves will continue to see and feel that way and live accordingly.

Just so you know. While, I do believe positive thinking is good for you I don't think it can manifest real solid things,

Agreed, we are not genies
On earth, if we want something, we have to work for it.

but what about an atmosphere of despair?

I have to admit, in my past I suffered from episodes of depression and anger. While in that mindset, all you continue to do is more destructive things to yourself and sometimes to those around you. It's a vicious circle blaming others wallowing in self pity. But most fall for it because no matter what medium, it continually shows people who to blame for their problems.

It is popular to blame others for our problems. But once you step out of that bubble, your life changes infinitely for the better. Once you take responsibility for your actions, you start to realize how much power you have to change your life and you start to realize how useless being in that mindset of anger, depression, etc really is.

Just thought I'd add an esoteric angle to the thread.

It's good to see many perspectives

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cool Hand Luke

I agree that the world is not perfect, nor will it ever be. But is not the perception of perfect in the eye of the beholder?

I think the problem is when people live exclusively in this pseudo-reality and can't see any good in the world and also, like your friends, any effort to better oneself is futile.

To these people that live in this pseudo-reality, what is the purpose of life? Simply to wait for death?

Perfection? I would assume so. I guess as humans we strive for our own idea of perfection, which in fact may be defined as achieving our lifes' ultimate goals with as little mistakes as possible along the way. In light of that though, obviously making mistakes is inevitable. We learn much from them, and its best not to become OCD about it because thats what some people close to me have.
So I agree, that perfection is in the eyes of the beholder. I may go as far to say that our perfections are naturally unobtainable, if not impossible.

Yes. People caught up in "pseudo-reality" alone will fall into the spectrum of negative energy. I was actually going to mention law of attraction in my first post but forgot. I am glad someone did though.
Again I am tired so I am going to sleep.

-Joe-

[edit on 20-7-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

top topics

join