It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you dream that you are lucid dreaming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hello, I am fairly new to ATS, only posted once or twice because I am more of a lurker. So just let me know if this is in the wrong area or if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.

Anyway, onto my story.
For a couple of months now, I have been wanting to lucid dream.
I am one of the unlucky ones that cant really even remember their dreams once they wake up, but I still try.

Not last night, but the night before, I was dreaming.
I don't quite remember what about, but I think it had to do with my friends upcoming birthday.

All of a sudden I realised, "Hey, this can't be happening/real, I must be dreaming!"
I remember feeling happy/proud of myself that I had finally reached my goal of knowing that I was dreaming.
-BUT- not as happy as I thought I would have been.
More like a quick, passing, "Hey look, I finally realised I'm dreaming."

Then thinking, "Ok, so I know I'm dreaming, what now?"
Not sure what to do, i carried on in the dream as I had been previously, and I don't remember what happened after that.

My question is, is this normal? Realising you're dreaming, and not doing anything about it?
After thinking about it for a while, I came to an idea.

Everyone knows that you can dream about something you want.
A new car, going on a nice holiday, etc.
I wanted to lucid dream so badly, could I have just imagined or dreamt that I was?
Or if I actually WAS aware that I was dreaming, why did I just carry on with whatever I was doing?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
That's hard to say.I have what I call semi-lucid dreaming that only started a few years ago. I don't know how it happens nor did I wish for it. Sometimes it takes a bit to realize I'm dreaming,sometimes I don't realize it till after I'm awake.Sometimes I know right away its a dream.If I dream of a friend of mine that has died or my cat talking to me right away I know it's a dream for example.

Sometimes when I realize I'm dreaming I can explore a bit in my dreams,but something or someone in my dreams can change the direction of the dream. I can't conjure a dream for example. Some say you can learn how to have lucid dreams. Whatever it is or how its done I don't know but its kinda fun.

I'm just happy I'm one of the lucky ones that can remember most of my dreams an that I can play around in them a little bit.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The worst for me was realizing that I'm dreaming forcing myself to wake up from it because I'm not really enjoying what's going on and realizing I'm dreaming again and having to repeat the process six or seven times before actually being awake. Believe me, after even the first round of that you just want to get back to home base and be sure you're not still in nested "holodeck" simulations!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I would practice realtiy checking and try and remember certain dream symbols.

Good resource on this topic at Lucid Dreaming.com

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sticksandstones

Yes, you can.
(You can also dream about waking up and thinking about your dreams - while still dreaming, obviously.)

But I've never quite understood the fascination with "lucid dreaming".
I get more than enough "lucid" introspection into my subconscious during my waking hours (no, it's not an oxymoron); and so, what I want is a good rest, letting my brain/mind purge and indulge in whatever flights of fancy it desires.
You cannot do that while lucid dreaming - at least not in my experience.

But that's yarn for a different thread...

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Yes, it's happened to me so many times where I'm dreaming, clearly wake up and go on with my everyday routine, then wake up -again- IN THE DREAM, then after 4 or 5 times of waking up I really DO wake up. It's very frustrating to say the least and messes with your sense of reality a little bit.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
yes, I have had the same thing happen to me. Its kinda like you forgot that you realized that you were dreaming and keep dreaming, or more like you realized you were dreaming but forgot about the significance of realizing that. Sometimes it takes a few times before you stay lucid.

new topics

top topics

join