It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God has no religion, so why would He want us to have one?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hello. This just came to me in another thread and was pretty clear:

God has no religion. This is true. So why would He want us to have one or have any? Doesn't make sense. Not logical, therefore, religion is not logical.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

god has no religion, so we shouldnt either, i think this is pretty accurate, but god is my " religion " i dont like the word religion, but i love god. im not sure exactly what you were getting at there though, clarify further if you would?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Dude....I'm saying the same thing you are. It's all about God. The rest is just crap. These religions act like they created God. I would call it blasphemous!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

great then, i thought thats what you were getting at but wasnt sure, thanks.
so is that it then? seems like an akward moment when there is nothing else to say huh.......

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

Seems it's only awkward for you friend. One usually says nothing when one has nothing to say.

Hi God! As always: thank You for everything!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

i have alot to say about god, but as far as the topic is what i was referring to, pretty clear cut to me that we dont need religion, only god.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yea but your God isn't revealed, he doesn't reveal any thing to you in an intimate way. Why would a God leave souls in darkness without revealing himself by word not by nature alone.

" this is true "

Yea to you Ex boy but not to me, to me the other is true, that God founded a church and a religion and revealedhimself through over 4,000 years of saints since the world began and taught us hw to live and was accompanied by miracles.

It's insane to me how God would exist, create everything, and then just say to himself ( you know what, I'm not going to reveal anything to humans, they will not know anything about me or how to live, I will leave them in the dark)

God plans to give us revealed things here about himself because he wants us to build an (intimate) relationship (on earth) and get to know him by word and teaching while we are alive.

and I believe that one person was christ who was God on the flesh.

peace.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

yes god did reveal himself, i just dont think the church is right for this day and age, different denominations and sects. and noone knows which is right, causing arguments and in turn driving more people away from god.

i have been healed by god, if i start to doubt and turn away, i realize i was healed and i know god exists.

how many people hate each other over religion, i can name a few examples, close friends have a " religious argument" then they dont talk to eachother because of difference in opinion. ive seen it happen.

however if we didnt argue over trivial matters, it would bring us closer together, satan i believe uses the church in this day and age to decieve people. if we just believe in god it is enough, at least in these times.
peace

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

God has no religion. This is true.

God wants praise, glory, worship and love from all beings in his creation.
So, that is his religion,to seek all those things.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

God wants praise, glory, worship and love from all beings in his creation.

This is what I don't understand. If God is Omni-everything, then how can he want? Want would imply he lacks something. And if he lacks something, and only we can provide that, how is he omnipotent(in fact, wouldn't that make him partially DEPENDANT on us?)?

Not to mention the idea that God, the "merciful" and "loving" absolute moral-compass for EVERYTHING is so egotistical and jealous that he demands worship and praise from his creation. And that he then gives said creation free will to decide whether or not to worship him(since He doesn't want robots), only to subsequently issues an ultimatum that can be summed up as "TURN OR BURN."

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy

the entire argument is based on an assumption.

i have to admit, i dont understand how that works for you.

Originally posted by Core90
This is what I don't understand. If God is Omni-everything, then how can he want? Want would imply he lacks something. And if he lacks something, and only we can provide that, how is he omnipotent(in fact, wouldn't that make him partially DEPENDANT on us?)?

need implies lacking not want. god doesnt need anything.

Originally posted by Core90
Not to mention the idea that God, the "merciful" and "loving" absolute moral-compass for EVERYTHING is so egotistical and jealous that he demands worship and praise from his creation. And that he then gives said creation free will to decide whether or not to worship him(since He doesn't want robots), only to subsequently issues an ultimatum that can be summed up as "TURN OR BURN."

god is also an absolute example of justice. (do your homework, and you'll find a fiery hell doesnt exist.)

the other question is, why wouldnt ask for worship. i use "ask" because he does allow us to be independent. if god created everything with a purpose, what is wrong with asking for friendship in return? remember, adam and eve were friends with god. they weren't bogged down with traditions or ceremonies. it wasnt until man sinned that god set forth certain standards.

so whats wrong with being god's friend?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

the entire argument is based on an assumption.

i have to admit, i dont understand how that works for you.

You don't have to understand how anything works for me. And what I said is NOT an assumption. God has NO religion, so why would He want us to have religion? Makes no sense. No assumption here. It's called logic!!

What is God's religion? RIGHT!! NONE!! Religion was created by man. God is not human is He?? So you still don't understand? You don't want to understand.......

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You don't have to understand how anything works for me. And what I said is NOT an assumption. God has NO religion, so why would He want us to have religion? Makes no sense. No assumption here. It's called logic!!

What is God's religion? RIGHT!! NONE!! Religion was created by man. God is not human is He?? So you still don't understand? You don't want to understand.......

here, let me dumb it down for you.

A religion is a set of beliefs and practices, often centered upon specific supernatural and moral claims about reality, the cosmos, and human nature, and often codified as prayer, ritual, or religious law

person "A" says he believes that god is in all of us, that is a religion.

person "B" says he believes that god is a spaghetti monster. that is another religion.

person "C" says he believes in the god of the bible. that is another religion.

religion is a belief. organized religion is a belief that is organized amongst a group of people.

what does god believe? do you think there is any doubt in god as to what or who he truly is? his belief would be the truth.

if you are talking about the god of the bible, then he is also part of an organized religion.

1 cor 11:[3] But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

so you can say god is the head of the true religion, the religion that believes the truth.

to have no religion is to have no belief.

if you are simply mixing up the word "religion" with the concept of "organized religion", i can see where you might feel that way.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Core90

originally posted by jmdewey60

This is where I get this idea from.

John 8:50
I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge.

originally posted by Core90
...then how can he want?...

God had want, for something, apparently, and made the universe.
God wanted companionship, apparently, and made Man.
God recognized those same feelings in Adam, and made Eve.

...If God is Omni-everything,...

I think these sweeping generalizations about God may be the invention of the neo-pagan/christian philosophers in the early church.
They were really great at making rationalizations of religion.
They used all the well known pagan gods, picking out the best parts from various gods to create a super-god.

...and only we can provide that, how is he omnipotent(in fact, wouldn't that make him partially DEPENDANT on us?)?

Maybe, but we are definitely dependent on Him.
For example, Jesus made his triumphant entry into Jerusalem as King.
The people honored him by lining the street and waving palm branches and throwing their cloaks into his path and crying out in song.
Jesus did not need all that, so much as God needed it because Jesus was representing Him.
Jesus said, If they did not raise their voices in praise, the very stones would cry out.
So, we need to praise God as much as God needs our praise.

Not to mention the idea that God, the "merciful" and "loving" absolute moral-compass for EVERYTHING is so egotistical and jealous that he demands worship and praise from his creation.

God has knowledge and wisdom beyond ours and can be qualified to judge us.
That does not mean that we should try to imitate Him.
They would have a group of elders who would sit around near the gate to the cities and people would bring disputes before them, to be settled.
A single person did not make a decision, but it had to be agreed on, as a group.
That shows that we recognize that not one of us can be like God.

And that he then gives said creation free will to decide whether or not to worship him(since He doesn't want robots), only to subsequently issues an ultimatum that can be summed up as "TURN OR BURN."

It may not be so cut-and-dried as all that.
Adam had free will to obey God.
We do not.
We have what would be considered in court as diminished capacity.
Our merciful God had a plan where one person could follow Him and the rest of humanity could escape judgment through that one.
We can fulfill God's demand in the same way as the people of Jerusalem welcomed their king and representative of God.
Jesus said:

Matthew 11:30
...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
the other question is, why wouldnt ask for worship. i use "ask" because he does allow us to be independent. if god created everything with a purpose, what is wrong with asking for friendship in return?

Just a thought I might add:
God does good things for us to deserve praise.
It is not like He is asking something for nothing.
So, God's religion is a win/win, for us.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

here, let me dumb it down for you.

No need to be offensive Miriam. Dumb it down for me? Get off your high horse please.

if you are talking about the god of the bible, then he is also part of an organized religion.

God of the bible? There is one God. One. I am talking about God. God. God of the universe.

He is part of no religion. He has been made part of religions by man, not by His choice. His choice would be to have no religion as He has none.

to have no religion is to have no belief.

This is utter nonsense. I have no religion and I have a ton of faith. Therefore, I most certainly have beliefs. They are my beliefs. You need to learn not to confuse religion with faith. Two completely separate things Miriam.

People like you can't stand it if someone has their own beliefs outside of religion. It scares the crap out of you. Why?

if you are simply mixing up the word "religion" with the concept of "organized religion", i can see where you might feel that way.

I am simply NOT mixing up anything Miriam. It is all quite clear to me and as a result, I sleep quite well at night and do not fear death. God is with me and always will be. I have serenity and all the thumpers here and everywhere can't stand that and that is sad.

People like me make you question your faith which isn't faith it is blind obedience to a religion. BIG DIFFERENCE Miriam!!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Yea but your God isn't revealed, he doesn't reveal any thing to you in an intimate way. Why would a God leave souls in darkness without revealing himself by word not by nature alone.

This is some wonderful religious gibberish. My God? There is only one and He is the same God for everyone. You can call Him what you want and create or believe whatever stories you want, but when it comes down to it, there is only one God. So there is no "my God" friend.

God reveals things to me all the time. It's pretty humorous that you can speak for me friend. There's that religious arrogance again. But, God still loves you!!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

So, God's religion is a win/win, for us.

God has NO religion. What religion does God have....what? Tell me.....

You can't because He has NONE. God is a win/win for us friend, not religion. Religion is politics and again, there is no place for politics between any human and God.

Get rid of religion and the politics of religion and you just might actually find God. God is not in religion so you will not find Him there.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Now you wait just a Goddamn minute there Excited_Boy.

God is a Baptist. Just ask any Baptist. Preferably a Southern Baptist.
Hell fire, angry, but fair God. No gays allowed kinda God.

The Bible says it, I believe it, nuff said.

:bash:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Sorry that my lame attempt at humor has derailed this thread.

On topic....

I'm with E_B on this one. Organized religion needs God. God doesn't need religion; organized or not.

To attempt to humanize God only demeans God. God doesn't care what you do though. The true meaning of omniscience.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join