It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 dead, 6 injured in Houston crane collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

4 dead, 6 injured in Houston crane collapse

www.msnbc.msn.com

HOUSTON - Four people were killed and six were injured Friday in a crane collapse at a refinery in Houston.

The accident occurred at an industrial complex. A company spokeswoman said the plant was a LyondellBasell refinery in southeast Houston.

Houston Fire Department Assistant Chief Omero Longoria told KTRK-TV that five people had been been taken to hospitals. Two were in critical condition, while the other three had trauma-related injuries.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What is the deal with all of these crane collapses this year?

Crane safety has been under scrutiny in recent months because of crane-related deaths in New York, Miami and Las Vegas.

I cant remember hearing ever hearing about these large cranes collapsing but we have 4 this year alone.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Could this have anything to do with it?

The city’s chief crane inspector was arrested on Friday and charged with taking bribes to allow cranes to pass inspection, the authorities said. He was also accused of taking money from a crane company that sought to ensure that its employees would pass the required licensing exam

NY Times

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Good find, I wonder if any of the injured workers families will go after him with lawsuits.

This is not a one line response because i typed this line to make two lines in order to meet the T&C's.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Good find, I wonder if any of the injured workers families will go after him with lawsuits.

I bet they going to go after him all guns blazing, and its nothing he doesn't deserve. Hope he gets good jail time for this on top of millions to the families.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Houston doesn't have anything to do with NY inspectors or crane inspectors at all.

The city of Houston does not inspect or regulate cranes, although officials said there has been some talk of it since the recent New York City crane collapses.

``It's not a part of our code of ordinances,'' said Alvin Wright, spokesman for the Public Works & Engineering Department. ``A crane is a movable object. We inspect structures that are non-movable, like buildings.''

Houston Chronicle

Deep South, the crane operator, is already being sued for another death. Makes one wonder about who is being hired to operate the equipment or set it up. Obviously something was wrong.

Roecker said the crane, operated by a contractor called Deep South Crane & Rigging Co., had been put in place for a major project called a "turnaround," but that he did not believe it was scheduled to lift any equipment today.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
``It's not a part of our code of ordinances,''

Just what the ##@% going on here?

How can any City, County, or State not regulate these things?
I mean come on out side of the obvious threat to human life how about the potential for massive property damage?

Whos running this monkey show anyway/

[edit on 18-7-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

How can any City, County, or State not regulate these things?
I mean come on out side of the obvious threat to human life how about the potential for massive property damage?

Yes, it does seem a bit absurd that cities, counties, and states who are complete Nazis about regulating & monitoring 40-ton trucks, would be unconcerned about 500-ton cranes.

While your outrage is reasonable, everyone needs to wait for the results of the investigations, so we know clearly what happened and why. Who knows, this could be a case where no amount of government entanglement would have prevented the collapse.

As someone who's worked around construction cranes and refineries, let me tell you that while there are minimum official regulations, there are STRINGENT jobsite-specific regulations, particularly at refineries.

For starters, nobody wants to be responsible for injury or death. Nobody needs to face the families, OSHA, the lawyers, the courts, the insurers, and the press after such an incident. These alone are reasons to run a tight ship. Most refineries have extremely strict procedures and policies for crane operations. The crane and rigging have to be inspected and certified, and the operators need to be trained and certified. Major "picks" (lifts) have to be engineered, and all picks have to be planned, submitted, and approved by refinery management. Any slop or mistakes will get you permanently kicked out of the refinery and possibly fined.

Still, there have been WAY too many crane accidents lately, and I have a feeling we're gonna see a big government overreaction and crackdown on cranes.

new topics

top topics

join