It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Deep Impact Films Earth as an Alien World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Saw this on the NASA webite. Just posted yesterday. A video of earth from 31 million miles away. Very intersting to see the earth from that far out.

"NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft has created a video of the moon transiting (passing in front of) Earth as seen from the spacecraft's point of view 31 million miles away. Scientists are using the video to develop techniques to study alien worlds."
Source: www.nasa.gov...
Scroll to the bottom there are two Quicktime videos posted.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I have to admit, that was pretty cool

I have always wondered though, why the astronauts have never taken pictures or video of the earth and moon or even just the moon from any shuttle trip or from the ISS.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
they have and do constantly

Originally posted by QBSneak000
reply to post by Erasurehead

I have always wondered though, why the astronauts have never taken pictures or video of the earth and moon or even just the moon from any shuttle trip or from the ISS.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Simply put, awe inspiring. If I could for a second ignore my disgust for the political and liberal machine that castrated Nasa I would say more.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ksavoy30
they have and do constantly

Have to be approved and filtered, of course (prior to public release.)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Really? so far I have searched the net but have not found any photo's of the moon and earth taken from a shuttle trip or the space station. You wouldn't happen to have a link to a few I could look at would you?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Never taken? Ugh! You mean like this image from STS-107?
spaceflight.nasa.gov...

And this one from ISS expedition 12?
spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Please check before making "factual" sounding statements.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Check it out

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Really? so far I have searched the net but have not found any photo's of the moon and earth taken from a shuttle trip or the space station. You wouldn't happen to have a link to a few I could look at would you?

Ok, fine, one more of my favorites. You honestly couldn't have been searching that hard; there are a ton of these kinds of photos out there, and not just on NASA's gallery (though that's where you should have looked first):

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wow, I wasn't trying to offend you. So what, I made a mistake...only human man. No need to be snippy and rude about it.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Wow, I wasn't trying to offend you. So what, I made a mistake...only human man. No need to be snippy and rude about it.

I apologize, but I am tired of people making statements as if they know them for an absolute fact when they haven't done an adequate amount of research on it. The next person who doesn't know any better reads it and may take it at face-value as fact, spreading ignorance even further.

Then, at some point in the future, I find myself minding a telescope at a public viewing when a person believing this myth comes up and states it as an absolute fact, and even though I know it's completely wrong I am not in a position to be able to prove it and so the person goes on arguing with me because they heard it here and trust ATS more than a mere amateur astronomer who is surely "part of the system."

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Amazing to think that the camera taking the photo / video has come all of that way.....

Really puts a perspective to the current situation on that planet. All of our Earthly worries are NOTHING in the grand scheme of the universe.

Makes me feel very insignificant

good video though! Why doesn't it look at other planets too....

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
No worries bud. I understand what you mean. You have to forgive me, I am half asleep and haven't had enough coffee yet to even come close to making sense.

I like to think I learn from my mistakes so I will be more careful at what and how I post and phrase things.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join