It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Airforce Wants 'Luxury Rooms in Planes' For Top Officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

U.S. Airforce Wants 'Luxury Rooms in Planes' For Top Officials

rawstory.com

The US Air Force sought money from counter-terrorism funds to install luxurious rooms on military aircraft for travelling top brass and officials, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Several senior generals weighed in on design details of the "comfort capsules," which include leather chairs, a 37-inch (94 centimetre) flat screen monitor, a bed, table, couch and full-length mirror, the Post wrote, citing budget documents and government e-mails.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
LOL, hey why not? Since we're ALREADY being extorted by the gov and M.I.C., month after month, year after year to keep this debacle funded with our taxpayer dollars, why not have them sitting in the lap of luxury? And yet the "small guys" on the ground can't get bullet-proof vests and armor for their vehicles? Awesome set of priorities there fellas. As long as you have your plasma TV at our expense though, who cares! Our money has to go to something good, right? Even though we're all broke now. lol

The plan has angered lower-ranking Air Force officers and lawmakers' aides who say the project is a waste of money and inappropriate in a time of war.

The Air Force over the past three years has requested 16.2 million dollars to be diverted from the "war on terror" to fund the project, according to the article.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ok, so as an Ex-Navy Airdale, I need to clear something up about the airforce.

Their barracks for the enlisted ARE LUXURY compared to the barracks of Navy Sailors.

Why is that? Well I asked this very same question when I stayed on base at McGuire AFB back in 1993. It was like staying in a hotel with maid service and everything, and I was just an E3 at the time!

The reason is as follows, and I'm sure it extends to the top brass even more than the lowly enlisted as I was at the time.

When the Navy builds an Air Base, they get a budget and then they build the airfield first. They then build the barracks with whatever money they have left over. The can't ask for more because the missions is already accomplished (i.e. the airfield has been built)

When the Air Force builds an airbase, they build the barracks first! Then, they build the airfield and if they go over budget they can easily request more funds because the goal of building an airfield has yet to be reached.

As an enlisted member of the armed forces, I thought this to be ingenious and wonderful. As a taxpayer, maybe not so much.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
OK, as an ex-Air Force 'zoomie'; I would like to add:

In my experience (up to the early 90's,) there is no denying that Air Force barracks are top-notch. In my line of work I spent time living with all services (Army, Navy, Marines, et. al.)

Army takes the prize for low-class accommodations. The Marines are a spartan lot, and the Navy makes that easy for them. I never thought Navy accommodations were all that bad.

I don't know if Quazga's assertion regarding the 'construction strategy' is accurate. I wasn't in that field and spent zero time asking about such matters. It seems fiscally disingenuous and I would suspect someone would get in a lot of trouble for that kind of procurement strategy. But weirder things have been seen, such as the OP's piece.

IN ALL SERVICES. At the top brass level we are talking about the elites. Many hard chargers, driven by sincerely applied talent and leadership get to the top in the military; but MANY are simply 'promoted' to their positions because of who their daddy is, what 'frat' they belong to, or generally what social class they belong to. I would not be surprised to find many such things in the service, where the elites have ensconced themselves awaiting their next 'social' promotion.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If you think this story is bad, it doesnt even scratch the surface compared to the amounts of money being laundered through companies like KBR and Halliburton etc.

Check out this clip (first several minutes is about contaminated water but the rest gets into the sickening amount of our tax dollars being given away to the highest bidder).

[edit on 18-7-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Allright, for the uninformed barracks for all services suck but the air force's suck the least. But they already have these and I hauled plenty of Senators and Congressmen all over the world in them. On the KC-10 we had an old Airstream trailer that was cut in 3 parts if i remember correct. It was called the silver bullet and I think two or three planes at the two bases that support KC-10's were modified to carry it. This whole process was not cheap, and after the first mod they had to do a 2nd so that the VIP's in the module could watch TV while we were flying (CNN). This mod alone was in the 100-200K cost just to watch TV inflight. We had an old saying in the military "there is always enough money to do it right the second time". Anyway this really is nothing in the bucket of waste that is the US Military. For people that don't understand our military is about spending money, not on the people but buying things. Any old head supply guys on here feel free to chime in on end of year spending. Every year was a free for all, "if I don't spend it this year I won't get it next year" but this happened every year, so really you never needed it. Just pay your taxes and enjoy your freedom.

top topics

join