It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman In Jail For Buying Newborn, Baby Seller Not Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
WILKINSBURG, Pa. -- Wilkinsburg police said a woman confessed to buying a newborn who she tried to pass off as her own at a Pittsburgh hospital.

Investigators said Andrea Curry-Demus brought the little boy to West Penn Hospital to get examined.

According to court documents, workers became suspicious when tests showed she was not the mother.

Police said when they questioned Curry-Demus, she said she bought the baby for $500 from her friend "Tina." The child was born July 16.

Channel 11 learned Curry-Demus was charged 18 years ago with kidnapping in a similar case.

Police said the baby is doing fine.

Thats the whole story online. On the news it says she paid $1000, and got arrested for endangering the welfare of the child. The news also stated that she miscarried her child. I do not understand this. I get that buying a baby isn't the right way to go about things. But wouldn't the woman that sold the baby be endangering the child's welfare more? The woman that bought the baby at least cared enough to take the child to the hospital.

The main reason I post this is because of cases of child abuse and child welfare that go under-investigated or even in some cases where the social workers lie about actually doing any investigation at all, and the only way things like this are discovered are when the child is beat to death or seriously injured. Oklahoma is probably the worst state for this.

Another thing that makes me mad is there is a child in my boyfriends family who we called to report several times. Her father would leave her with us for days. She would be so hungry she would eat almost the whole time she was here. Her hair would be so knotty, that I had to cut the knots out sometimes. She was five years old, and the size of all her clothes were 18 months. No one had bought her clothes since then, and sadly they still almost fit perfectly, except the pants were a little short. She also still drank bottles and wore diapers. We made alot of calls to the department of welfare, and they were there three times, and found nothing. I still feel horrible about this, as this is an ongoing thing.

I'm not trying to sound like, "Sheesh, you sell one baby and they lock you up." What I would like to find out is this because a newborn is more adoptable than a 5 year old child? Do cities and states make a decent amount of money off of adoptions? It seems like they are quick to DNA test a newborn and arrest the lady that bought it, but they don't seem to care about kids that are honestly in danger. In fact, when we called to make reports, the social worker we talked to acted like we were greatly inconveniencing her.

I just really don't see how they can get away with having such an unbalanced system. It seems to say to me its more important to take a baby that was bought by a woman who probably would have loved the baby than it is to react promptly to a child that is with their biological father, but is being neglected.

What do you think? Do you think it's related to some kind of profits or something else?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I guess her only problem with buying the baby was that she didn't have legal paperwork, didn't work with any of the legal stuff required. I see no problem with a woman adopting a baby the mom doesn't want.

By the way, I agree with you completely about Child Services not caring about children that are actually in danger....

I have also noticed a lack of them doing anything about Mexicans' children. They can have 7 kids in a one bedroom apartment. Have toddlers running around naked outside, without supervision, and nobody will do anything about it here. Just seems maybe all they want is blonde haired blue eyed kids. I guess they are worth more money or something.

I am sick of being so scared of those criminal human-traffickers.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The lady that bought the baby had been arrested previously ...

In 1991 she pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and received 10 years' probation after stabbing a woman in a suspected plot to steal the woman's infant.

MSNBC

So she comes into the ER with a newborn wrapped in a towel, with the umbilical card still attached. I would arrest her too! Not to mention... where is the original mother? Did she really sell her baby, or could it be something more sinister?

Until the birth mother is found, I think this woman should be in custody given her past experience.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Here is the update I had been dreading, but fully expected...

WILKINSBURG, Pa. - A body with its hands bound was found Friday at the apartment of a woman who showed up at a hospital with a newborn she falsely claimed was her child but later said she had obtained for $1,000, authorities said.

Cops:Body at home of woman who claimed baby buy

Very sad.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

Oooh. I guess we now know why the real mother wasn't charged.

Thanks for the update.

[edit on 7/19/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
OH MAN.

I would have never thought this from the lady I saw on the news. She was so calm. And she left the child's mother at her own house. Sheesh. I was just going to check on this after I cleaned all day. That's harsh. Especially considering I originally kinda felt bad for the woman.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Why would any normal person think such a thing? It's so far outside the the realm of "normal" human behavior to even think such a terrible thing, much less actually do it. That's the scary thing about the really dangerous types, they are so believable because they actually live in the dream world they create. So don't be too hard on yourself for believing her.

That her friends and family threw her a baby shower a month ago, knowing of her past arrest, and suspecting that she wasn't really pregnant... alarms should have gone off in someone's head. And it seems when police went to her apartment that very day, they were lead astray to a different apartment by the woman's sister. It was only when reporters who were there to write a story, thought they smelt something bad and called the cops... that's when the birth mothers body was discovered... 24 hours after she had died. The police should have searched that apartment when they were first there.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Another really weird thing is that this is the third or fourth time I remember there being news stories about women dong this or trying to do this in my area in the past two or three years. Also other stories I heard of women stealing newborns. I remember a story where a lady put her baby in the car after shopping, then while putting the groceries in her trunk another lady stole her car to take the baby and then tried to claim the baby as her own newborn in another state even though the baby was obviously two months old.

When I had my son, they had this alarm on his leg. If it was removed from the baby or if the alarm left the area it would go off. They explained this to me and I thought it was crazy. Especially when I was changing his first diaper, and his leg kicked into getting poop on the band that keeps it on, so I took it off. An alarm sounded on the whole floor, and these extra bright spotlight type lamps went on. About 6 nurses ran to my room. I heard most of the doors to the area locked immediately too. I felt like a real jerk at that moment. But obvious to me now, this is a serious danger.

Kinda creeps me out, considering I would like to have another baby soon.

top topics

join