It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence erupts as Pakistan stocks drop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Violence erupts as Pakistan stocks drop

edition.cnn.com

KARACHI, Pakistan (AP) -- Violent protests erupted at Pakistan's main stock market, as growing economic and political uncertainty pushed Pakistani shares to a new 18-month low.

The exchange's main index dropped more than 4 percent on Thursday before recovering slightly to close 2.7 percent lower at 10,213 points. The index is at its lowest since January 2007 and has fallen about 36 percent from an April peak.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
This cant be good, no America twist here, but having mass Pakistani civilian strife can only be bad news.

People are demanding a halt in trading, I fear the damage is worse than media may be reporting.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
And again we see the difference between a civilized people and the violent muslims

even during the worst market days here in America no one reacted violently as they did islamic ruled Pakistan.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

oh ok so people i your country are peace loving and non-violent
your post just goes to show hoe ignorant and verbaly violent some folks are.
mods, fathom calling muslims violent animals is imho very bad
m x

9edit to add i have alerted mods)

[edit on 18-7-2008 by morganathefey]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by morganathefey
reply to post by Fathom

oh ok so people i your country are peace loving and non-violent

[edit on 18-7-2008 by morganathefey]

If you read my post you will see that it stated that during market lows Americans have not resorted to violence.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
no fathaom you said violent muslim animals....then edited it out please be a big boy and own up to your 'mistake'

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Attack the POST, not the POSTER.

Please keep this thread on-topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Interesting..

I try and follow some of the "smaller" economies, mainly Europe, as a sign to determine when "service" nations (small economies servicing larger economies) take a dive, it usually indicates deep trouble in the larger economies..

As I type here, the economic situation in the 3rd world, the developing world, the industrial world and the service nations are all suffering.

Then again, so are the big power players..

But the small economies that are important to the larger economies.. that being major ME players, Asian economies and service nations of Europe (Luxumberg, Ireland, Iceland, Poland, Portugal, etc) are teetering on the brink of "official" recession. All predict more job losses, lower tax revenues and high inflation.

Pakistan has lost 36% of it's market value in a short 6 month time frame... that's unfathomable in America.. with our "economic situation" we have only lost a relative 16.9% YTD on the DOW, our "main" index.

However, it is not unusual for investors to go nuts when they loose all their money.. often times suicides sky rocket, murders and murder suicides as well.. I just imagine tensions are high there, uncertainty is grabbing hold of people.. and Pakistan can be added to the list of nations in a Recession.

All over the World we all have one question on our minds.. "when will it end" .. while the World reacts to more horrific financial news, America is the only country "celebrating" a "$11" drop in the price of oil.

Then again, we find it hard to look at other people, and to get over our selves. We might have a better out look on the entire situation.. who knows.. I digress.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by morganathefey
no fathaom you said violent muslim animals....then edited it out please be a big boy and own up to your 'mistake'

Maybe i did own up to it and that is why i edited it?????

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/7/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

im not up on economics but 36% would be unfathomable in any western society...i hate to think what would happen. the violence in pakistan just shows how angry and frightened people are, what can they do?
m x

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

ok fathom point taken

we'll drop it
m x

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
"Hey Sadiq, our stock is down four percent!"
"Whhhattt?? By Allah, this will not stand! Jihad! Jihad! Go get the scimitars and the AKs! Quickly now, Jihad!!"

How they can manage violent protests over something like this is simply beyond me.

I wonder what you'd actually have to do to provoke violent protests from European peoples. Imagine the Swedes or the Dutch violently protesting ANYTHING.

There is something deeply wrong with their culture.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by morganathefey

you even supprised? Muslim majority country must mean
any action that is done by a muslim is faith based.

just like riots and violance that happens in the US/UK and other countries
are based on christiantity, hinduisum

example the football riots must be because they are Chrsitian

this is ATS where any topic that has muslim country in it you will have the ignorant run in to shout EVIL EVIL MUSLIMS bring out the pitch forks

[edit on 18-7-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by morganathefey

you even supprised? Muslim majority country must mean
any action that is done by a muslim is faith based.

just like riots and violance that happens in the US/UK and other countries
are based on christiantity, hinduisum

example the football riots must be because they are Chrsitian

this is ATS where any topic that has muslim country in it you will have the ignorant run in to shout EVIL EVIL MUSLIMS bring out the pitch forks

It's about the mindset that Islam breeds. It makes it's people think it is okay to riot for pretty much any reason at all. It makes it's people think it is okay to be wilfully ignorant of fact and to smite unbelievers where they find them. It is like Christianity was to Science during the Middle Ages. Give it another 700 years and it'll have matured into the spineless jelly that Christianity is today.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

oh yes, anything that goes wrong in my life
i go out and start a riot, being Muslim i must have the mindset to do so right?
unless you can show me where in Islam it shows riot its all hogwash.

it doesnt matter about the econominc climate of the country or anything that actualy factors into why people riot, it must be faith.

as i said berfore the football riots and so on they must be to do with christianity right? since muslims rioting over shares is based on Islam?

edit: reading your previous post. you havent got a clue about Jihad.
tecnicaly that would be Jihad (and not the type you seem to want to portray to others
)

en.wikipedia.org...

"to struggle to improve one's self and/or society.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
LOL Them darn Muslims were everywhere in the 60's and 70's here . We called em hippies tho .
I have always read "Jihad" as "to rise against oppression" At least that's what i was taught .
I think people here (US) are just mad . Imagine if we rioted . We would all go to prison as terrorists . We cant even protest peacefully let alone get angry.

People standing up for what they believe in that can actually make a difference . hmmmmm . They must be terrorists , Aint that the American way now?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

oh yes, anything that goes wrong in my life
i go out and start a riot, being Muslim i must have the mindset to do so right?
unless you can show me where in Islam it shows riot its all hogwash.

it doesnt matter about the econominc climate of the country or anything that actualy factors into why people riot, it must be faith.

as i said berfore the football riots and so on they must be to do with christianity right? since muslims rioting over shares is based on Islam?

edit: reading your previous post. you havent got a clue about Jihad.
tecnicaly that would be Jihad (and not the type you seem to want to portray to others
)

en.wikipedia.org...

"to struggle to improve one's self and/or society.

Okay, lets start at the beginning.

1. my first post was a parody. Of course it isn't what a Jihad is, but it's funny because that is the Muslim stereotype that they put forward. It's like the American fat, stupid and lazy stereotype. We know they aren't all like that, but hey, stereotypes exist for a reason.

I watched a documentary about Alexander the Great the other day, and in it, they were interviewing an Iranian peasant/farmer type, who was explaining that they still told stories of Alexander now, because he conquered so completely. He the finished his tale by saying "if Alexander was here now, I would kill him and cut him into pieces". Would you get that attitude in a non-Muslim country? I mean, you must see how it's just the most infantile attitude to take, right?

2. I notice your location is England. Mine is too. I'll go out on a limb and say you are a second-generation British Muslim, yes? As in, you were born in my country to parents who either themselves immigrated or did with their own parents? I'm guessing this means you are quite significantly Westernised. Good for you, because that's why you are rational, not because you are a Muslim.

3. Football riots are the product of a pack mentality that demands violence. If it helps, football is second on my list of most hated things. I don't know if you've noticed, but you only seem to see Muslims rioting in the news these days.

4. As I said before, it is an intolerant, militant and proselytising religion that fosters the mindset that breeds violent riots. I'm not saying it is the cause of this particular riot, and you're a fool to suggest I am, but I am saying that it does nothing to discourage the use of violence, and therefore promotes it. Remember, all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

5. Just because you have the privilege of being in a secular, tolerant country like the United Kingdom, and you happen to be a Muslim, doesn't mean you are anything like the Muslims in the Islamic state of Pakistan. You don't have a belligerant religion forced down your throat at all times of the day and night, and probably don't want calls to prayer every ten minutes, and you probably don't even want to live under Sharia law. You live in a society where tolerance is the law. Remember that.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

since i have to leave for Mosque in a few minutes i will make this short and to the point

1. thats muslim sterotype that is pumped through extremist groups and then amplified by the media.

2. what does that have to do with things?

3. so most riots in Muslim countries where riots are pack mentality
another example i should have used is northen island.
thats a prime example of religous riots.

4. you havent got a Clue of Islam if all you can say is it fosters violance or encourages it. if you even look at the book properly it clearly sets out the guidlines of which muslims must follow.

sadly there isnt a paragraph on riots.
and no im not a fool

5. i wasnt born in England, i moved here when i was just over 2
im org from Banglandesh (secular country)

belligerant religion? forced down my throat. another prime example of how you havent got a clue about my faith or how islam is taught.
or sharia law (only part you got right in 5 is i prefer living in a secular country)

but being in a secular country means squat when religous views seems to effect what goverment does,
i am talking about resaerch and so on that is blocked.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I just love the way that a lot of people on this particular thread have blamed religion as the cause of the violence due to the Pakistani shares crisis.

Get a grip people.

The people were rioting because they lost a lot of money, and in Pakistan they haven't got a lot to begin with, So its was very upsetting for them. It made them angry, the only logical recourse for them was to blame the markets and the people who run them.

Its like if a Bank goes tits up in any country. The customers will seek revenge for being told "the banks as safe as houes , put your money in our vaults", then the bank folds, the customers feel betrayed and attack either the bank premises or teh staff who are an easy target.

So blaming on a religion is not the right thing to do.

Its like people who play slot machines, they lose their money the machine wins, the person slaps the slot machine. Doesn't matter if he's Christian or Muslim or Buddhist. He'll take his frustration out on the thing thats available to vent his feelings out on.
And people have revolted in every country that the market crashes in, Its what people do. the 'fact' that Americans don't resort to viloence is because you don't hear of it, Its not a mass riot. Pakistani comunites are close nit , and the familes are large over there. So they took their families along for the show.
Oh and by the way, the 'football' analogy is wrong, All the hooligans are just in it for the simple thuggery and mindless violence, the majority of them aren't even Christian.

[edit on 18/7/2008 by DataWraith]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

since i have to leave for Mosque in a few minutes i will make this short and to the point

Bad luck.

Originally posted by bodrul1. thats muslim sterotype that is pumped through extremist groups and then amplified by the media.

And yet it is the stereotype nonetheless. I wonder why that isn't the stereotype of your average Buddhist?

Originally posted by bodrul2. what does that have to do with things?

If you'd read to the end of the sentence, you'd have seen that I gave the explanation of what it has to do with things:

"Good for you, because that's why you are rational, not because you are a Muslim."

You had the luck of not growing up in an Islam-dominated society.

Originally posted by bodrul3. so most riots in Muslim countries where riots are pack mentality
another example i should have used is northen island.
thats a prime example of religous riots.

Are you trying to insinuate I agree with Christianity? In Sudan, when that poor poor British teacher was nearly flogged or worse for allowing her class to name their teddy Mohammad, there were riots of 10,000 people, wielding swords and bearing "behead those who insult Islam" placards. Are you saying this is normal, acceptable, civilized behaviour?

Originally posted by bodrul4. you havent got a Clue of Islam if all you can say is it fosters violance or encourages it. if you even look at the book properly it clearly sets out the guidlines of which muslims must follow.

sadly there isnt a paragraph on riots.
and no im not a fool

While there may not be a passage specifically on riots, it sounds like you do not read your own "holy" book. I bet you don't even know the author of it. Needless to say, I could cite many, many passages dealing with the oppression of women, the slaughter of infidels ad nauseum. Your stance of "You don't know of which you speak" is simply not true, because you must know your enemy!

Originally posted by bodrul5. i wasnt born in England, i moved here when i was just over 2
im org from Banglandesh (secular country)

I bet you don't have a Bangladeshi accent. And I bet you won't get my point from that statement either.

Originally posted by bodrulbelligerant religion? forced down my throat. another prime example of how you havent got a clue about my faith or how islam is taught.
or sharia law (only part you got right in 5 is i prefer living in a secular country)

Oh, yes, in Britain it's quite hard to get away with it, but try being an apostate in Saudi Arabia, eh? What do you think happens to you in an Islamic country when you try to do something as simple as leave Islam? I realise i'm simplifying this (like yourself, I'm pressed for time), but that doesn't mean you can assume I haven't studied this subject in great length.

Tell me, how did Islam manage to gain so many converts? Was it by peaceful understanding and acceptance, or was it by the sword?

And one last thing: how would you feel if the British government told you they were levying a special "Muslim tax" on you, specifically because you're a Muslim?

Originally posted by bodrulbut being in a secular country means squat when religous views seems to effect what goverment does,
i am talking about resaerch and so on that is blocked.

Unfortunately our government is foolish enough to listen to religious whiners of all faiths, its just the Muslims shout louder than the rest. I'm sick of the victim mentality that goes along with Islam. "Oh, we're so hard done by! The rest of the world hates us for no reason!"

I have no idea what research is blocked, but if it's research into human right's abuses in Islamic countries, I completely agree they need to go ahead with it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join