It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts : International : Survival : All Scouting Organizations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm
I was replying to someone who made 3 posts against the integrity of the organization which is an American institution not to be disrespected.

Hmm, then perhaps next time, you should make it more clearer. It looked to me that you were trying to de-rail/hijack the thread, my apologies

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I don't appreciate U2U's telling me to F off.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

I had already sent an apology to you before your last post.

I hold my hands up, it was my mistake, I never read your last line of the post properly ..... again I apologise.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I accept.... movin on..

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Hey Swingarm.... sorry, but it did look like you were also attempting to bash the Boyscouts.

If I'm being honest, your hugely long post is worse than John-whatever's three smaller posts, just because it seems to be more attacking.

I think its kinda funny that you got an u2uFu..... all in good fun mate...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

I have allot of respect for the Boy scouts and what they stand for I was saying Back Off for lack of a better word to that poster. I understand you disregarded the post because of length. Hope you understand now what it's message was.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I would like to apologize for disrupting your thread. I had to address what that poster was saying. Lets continue on the organizational and survival aspects.
I'm actually Canadian I live Waayyyy up in the boreal forest somewhere around the 54 parallel. In our town we have the Junior Rangers. We don't have Scouts. Two of four of my children are involved with that organization.Here is some info if your interested.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Swingarm]

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

While I appreciate the fact that you had good intentions, the person who posted the negative connotations was well under control since I changed the title of the original post, as well as it already having caught the attention of the Moderators.

I originally began this thread with the intent towards survival only, and that is what I intend to do keeping it on that track. I had serious doubt that it would stay within the bounds I set, because people just love to attack something.

I'm not stating you've attacked it, nor the other poster, just that this thread will stay on topic, no matter what.

Survival, at its very basest of instinct, is all about not being killed, either via means of someone else attempting to kill you, you unintentionally dieing off due to not knowing how to survive utilizing survival instincts, or through sheer accident and or stupidity of someone, either the person directly affected or the person indirectly affected.

That having been said, I want the thread back to the topic at hand, with the original intent towards survival.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

With that I solute "clicking my heels together" yes sir!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Survival through what I see in the Scouts as well as other organiztions is about utilizing skills taught to you at an early age to have knowledge in various topics towards making your way towards being prepared for life in all ways, to stay ahead of everyone else, and through this learning leadership skills that will not only save your own life, but potentially other people's lives as well through shared knowledge and taking the leadership role completely when necessary, or even taking the second in command position if someone else is better prepared than you.

Being prepared is not just about life and death, it is about knowing how to spot the difference between life and death choices within yourself as well as others, and not being a lemming by stupidly following other people, but by knowing what it takes to truly be a leader and knowing when to follow others verses when to take command and make others follow you through knowing how to redirect the group the correct way so as to not run stupidly over a cliff.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I would say that the scouting movements' philosophy of 'survivalism' is in the Ray Mears school of Survivalism, aka Bushcraft type skills or at least it certainly was in my day.

A lot of people could survive, but not many people would thrive. That is the difference between basic survival skills and bushcraft type skills.

I am glad to see that this type is thriving in the UK with well over 30 schools dotted around the UK now and hopefully it is still strong within the scouting movement.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

So...you are a homophobe, and you think that all gays are part of some big societal conspiracy.

Yeah. You're looking good right now.
It's funny to watch Boy Scout apologetics try and defend their organization. I'm not going to call for your post's deletion like other people are, just because of how bad it makes you look.

But the Boy Scouts of America's discrimination against gays is not the only problem.

The Boy Scouts of America also discriminate against atheists. Atheists have been barred from joining the Boy scouts on account of their faith.

The kind of religious discrimination and bigotry conducted and propagated by the Boy Scouts of America is simply unacceptable.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I don't expect you to understand that post. It's clearly over your head *snip*.

Mod Edit: to remove insult directed at a fellow member.

Please review the following in order to prevent future action against your ATS account:

Civility and Decorum are Required

General ATS Discussion Etiquette

[edit on 7/19/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You are so far off topic, as well as innapropriate in content, it's not even funny.

*Do Not Feed The Trolls*

You are so far off topic, as well as innapropriate in content, it's not even funny.

*Do Not Feed The Trolls*

This is the ATS Survival Forum, not the ATS Debate Forum, nor the ATS Religion Forum.

Adhere to the Forum as well as the topic, or take your discussion to U2U.

You are both de-railing the thread and it's content, and I will NOT have it.

As much as I respect both of you for having your beliefs, as well as your convictions about any organization, this is not where it's going to be discussed.

This forum is for the discussion of techniques and strategies related to surviving major catastrophes that may effect very-large regions or entire countries.

Read the forum's description before posting on here again. Thank you.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

If you wish to comment on what is being discussed in the OP, pelase do so. If you wish to discuss how the Boy Scouts discriminate against others then start a thread on it in the appropriate forum.

I do not wish to see any other off topic posts on this matter.

Consider this a verbal warning.

Stay on topic which is survival skills tought by the Boy Scouts.

If I have to remind anyone again the next warn will come with a red badge.

Thanks for understanding.

Have a good day

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Okay, good enough. I thought it would be, though maybe a stretch, a bit on topic. SpartanKingLeonidas changed the title of the thread, but before he did, it was about "why you might consider joining." If an atheist, or a homosexual, or God forbid a homosexual atheist, is discriminated against and barred from joining, he can't consider it. It's like whether or not you might consider joining the KKK for survival. But I was talking only really about Boy Scouts of America, and I said pretty much everything aside from giving examples or repeating myself.

I like scouting organizations anyway. Too bad I never joined one. Are there any other than the BSoA in America?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I am an Eagle Scout and Search and Rescue Explorer in the past. The merit badges that delt with First Aid, Emergency prepardness and wilderness surival were great. I would say I was terrible with Pinoeering (knots) but good in other ways. I had been a Asst Scoutmaster for a couple years along while ago. The local council has been trying to get all the Eagles back to become leaders. I just do not have the time with work and my other Survivial Group I run.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMaster

I can understand being too busy for extra-curricular activities. Not everyone can take on extra responsibilites outside of their work. I enjoy doing what I do within Scouts, I just wish I had gotten involved fifteen years or more ago instead of just two years ago.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join