It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans being electrocuted in Iraq 'on an almost daily basis'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Americans being electrocuted in Iraq 'on an almost daily basis'

rawstory.com

In January 2008, Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth, a 24-year-old weapons expert, was electrocuted while showering in Baghdad's green zone. According to a criminal investigation by the Army, an electrical water pump on the building's roof shorted out from not being properly grounded when installed. On March 19 his parents sued the contractor, KBR Inc., for Sgt. Maseth's death.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
"According to the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette:

"The Defense Contract Management Agency, we believe, authorized [the contractor] to the tune of millions of dollars to make the repairs. And they never made the repairs," Mr. Cavanaugh said. "And we don't know why. A simple repair -- just ground the building -- and Ryan would be alive today."

On July 1, New York Times Investigative Reporter James Reisen, author of the 2006 book "State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration," took up the subject. According to Reisen, General David Petraeus stated to Congress that 13 Americans had been electrocuted since the invasion of Iraq: 12 soldiers and one contractor.

As recently as July 11, KBR Inc. electricians told a Senate panel tasked to investigate the deaths that their employer used inexperienced, non-English speaking workers to install electrical systems. Many experienced contractors, they claimed, were dismissed after raising cautions over the work.

According to the Associated Press:

"Time and again we heard, `This is not the states, OSHA doesn't apply here. If you don't like it you can go home,'" said Debbie Crawford, a journeyman electrician with 30 years experience.

Army Times reports that the shoddy wiring and electrical risks have brought about the deaths of 11 service members and two U.S. civilians."

Another job well done by KBR. Our tax dollars hard at work!!

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Ya I seen this on local news... I will see if I can find the video for this..

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
www.wpxi.com...

This one relates to a death from electrocution

However, Target 11 learned Wednesday that Defense Secretary Robert Gates got a letter demanding answers about Maseth's death.

Target 11 investigator Karen Welles spoke with Maseth's mother.

His mother, Cheryl Harris, said she wants to know who's at fault and wants to prevent any more electrocutions to protect the rest of the troops.

Harris has a personal stake in the matter; her youngest son served in Iraq and is back in the U.S. and Ryan's twin brother, Brandon is still serving in Iraq.

Harris told Welles, "They're protecting us and how are we protecting them? How are we protecting our troops?"

Harris is talking about our troops in Iraq which until Jan. 2 included her 24-year old son, Ryan.

Maseth died of an apparent accidental electrocution as he took a shower while serving in Baghdad.

Here is the link to the video of it..

also i found..

Sen. Casey: 13 Americans Electrocuted In Iraq. Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, says 13 Americans were electrocuted in Iraq since September 2003 and a contractor has been ordered to...
Article: www.wpxi.com...

But the link isnt active anymore for some reason.

[edit on 7/17/2008 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 7/17/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Ar you freaking kidding me? "On a daily basis?"

13 people? Unless the military has been there for 13 days...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yes, the title is extremely misleading.

This is just another example of our troops not getting the support and infrastructure they need.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
They didn't say electrocuted to death...duh...

Merely electrocuted...if you want to ignore the actual point of the article feel free to remain in your self satisfied bubble!

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Actually that is what my post is pointed out..

Some people have died from taking a shower and being electrocuted..

I wouldnt be suprised if there was more than just the 1 case I linked to.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I want to know what this means:

As recently as July 11, KBR Inc. electricians told a Senate panel tasked to investigate the deaths that their employer used inexperienced, non-English speaking workers to install electrical systems.

Does this mean Iraqi electricians or electricians brought in from an external cheap labor market?

top topics

join