It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain's Humor Often Backfires - Rape Joke, etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
In 1986, McCain told a joke about a woman getting raped by a gorilla, suggesting that she enjoyed it.

It came after his 'Seizure World' joke, in which he referred to the [retirement community] Leisure World as Seizure World
McCain's lame humor isn't so much the issue here, as is his judgment. Misogynistic gorilla jokes, even if they are a bit dated are likely to create a problem for a percentage of women voters - particularly given McCain's positions on pro-choice and women's reproductive health.

Source

More recently, McCain joked about (then 18-year-old) Chelsea Clinton being so ugly because her father is Janet Reno. And just last week, he suggested exporting cigarettes to Iran would be a good way to kill them.

His spokesperson Brian Rogers says that this is what the people want. We want someone who is "authentic". Rogers says that's just "McCain being McCain" (does the phrase "boys will be boys" come to anyone else's mind?)

McCain was also recently condemned by the government of Iran for suggesting that increasing U.S. cigarette sales to Iran could be "a way of killing 'em."

"We condemn such jokes and believe them to be inappropriate for a U.S. presidential candidate," said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini. "It is most evident that jokes about genocide will not be tolerated by Iranians or Americans."
"He's long said that he's said and done things in the past that he regrets," Rogers said. "You've just got to move on and be yourself — that's what people want. They want somebody who's authentic, and this kind of stuff is a good example of McCain being McCain."

Source

If I wanted a racist, womanizing, insensitive, tactless person for a president, I would vote for John McCain.

He does get it - he just doesn't know how to change - and change is what Americans are looking for in 2008.

Bomb-bomb-bomb, Bomb-bomb Iran...

BAD Judgment.
BAD Decisions.
BAD President.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I would rather him be honest and offend a couple of people than be a complete liar and agree with EVERYONE. Geez...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well it matters not, because this election will inevitably be one of the biggest landslide victories in US history.

Obama would have to eat a baby on CNNs newsdesk to lose this one.

Having said that, I don't think John McCain even wants to be president anymore. Its like they needed an act for a talent show and the performer didn't show up, so they just pushed him in front of the crowd and he's sitting their telling bad jokes trying not to get laughed off the stage.

I feel bad for the guy, honestly. He's so utterly tripping over his own feet and no one is there to save him. I think, if you were to sit the guy down and ask him what he really wants, he'd say he'd like to hang it up and go home to live the rest of his life in peace.

Buuut the repubs needed to put someone out there.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Sorry... Double Post.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more, Santa. I really feel pretty sorry for the guy. I used to like him quite a bit. I respected him because he lived up to the "maverick" name he still hauls around. But the picture you paint is a perfect one. He's a sad, pitiful spectacle.

And Mocked? It's a LOT more than a couple people who are offended. We're talking countries, races and genders, not just "a couple people"...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Now if you want a candidate that can't make up his mind, parses words as a means to deceive you, wishes to invoke mandatory community service for all, and will create his own version of the Nazi SS here in America, Barack Obama is your candidate for 2008.

Please Choose wisely.. It may just be your last opportunity to do so.

[edit on 7/17/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Now if you want a candidate that can't make up his mind, parses words as a means to deceive you, wishes to invoke mandatory community service for all, and will create his own version of the Nazi SS here in America, Barack Obama is your candidate for 2008.

Please Choose wisely.. It may just be your last opportunity to do so.

[edit on 7/17/08 by LLoyd45]

I'm not voting. I think my days of voting between 2 piles of garbage is over. The system is broken, and I'm not using it again til its fixed.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

VOTE!

Just don't vote for the ones who are presented in the MSM.

You are not alone with your position on either candidate, YOU are in the majority.

The majority needs to be heard, even if you vote for none of the above, you have exercised your right to vote.

Please do not shy away from disgust.

That is what has been going on for too long.

It is time to hear from you. VOTE.

ed;sp

[edit on 7/17/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I respect your opinion, alot actually, because this is the thought process that I struggled with up until just recently.

My issue is that I have found that the actual process of voting is ruined. It has been diluted to the point at which we are no longer represented. Its the system I fight, moreso than the horrid selection.

Lets be honest, we were upset when we were, as individuals, just a number.

Well I'm not even a number anymore! I'm a fraction of a number that only gets counted if the right circumstance occurs. Its convuluted drivel.

But this is for another thread. Sorry to go off on a tangent, BH.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Just take a look back in history 30years would be enough, look at the issues at the time, compare them to now, look at the voices from that time, compare them to the arguments of the 80's, 90's and now.

NOTHING has been done to the benefit of the taxpayer.

Program this, pork/earmark that, and our taxes have been squandered and our general life experience has not been improved.

We went through the conservation 70's, great, many things that were a problem at that time were changed, some good things like recycling brought to the fore, more fuel efficient vehicles, emisions standards put in place EPA standards etc. etc.

What do we here now? We are now accused of being the cause for global warming??? Give me a break. It is a shell game, I don't buy it, I recycle, I don't drive everyday, I am not the problem.

The status quo in Washington IS the problem, be it REP or DEM, they are all to blame.

It is up to the FED UP to STAND UP and tell them it is ENOUGH.

If you do not VOTE, you help them.

That's all I can say about it, it's up to you, I hope you don't throw away YOUR voice come November, regardless how you vote, it is something millions around the world wish they had, don't toss it away due to being turned off with who is being touted as the next coming.

You don't have to vote for either one. It's your choice.

Sorry BH, I will step down from the soapbox, Got a little off track from your OP.

Forgive Me????

[edit on 7/17/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I completely agree. I'm not completely thrilled with either of the two main stream candidates, and so have chosen to go for Dennis Kucinich instead. He may not win, but my vote won't be wasted. At least I won't be part of the statistics that say oh 40% of people didn't show up to vote.

Cheers

Zebra

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I would appreciate it if we could post on topic.

Iranians Displeased with Jokes About Genocide

The issue that I see here is, we all tell jokes (OK, I can't speak for us all, but I think many of us do) that are politically incorrect at times. And I'm the LAST person to toe the PC line. But there are jokes I would tell in the privacy of my home that I wouldn't tell in a restaurant where everyone could hear me. It's not that I'm dishonest or politically correct, I just know that my husband (who I tell the joke to) is going to understand that it's a joke and that I really don't feel that way.

I think people in the public eye, ESPECIALLY a person running for presidency, should have the judgment to realize that he may offend someone with these insensitive personal jokes. Chelsea Clinton was an 18-year-old girl! What kind of jerk tells a joke about such a vulnerable person being ugly, that will be heard nationally? Where is the judgment there?

I'm all for freedom of speech and I support McCain's freedom to joke about any race, gender, country he wishes. But it makes me seriously question his judgment.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I would appreciate it if we could post on topic.
So, was your comment necessarily on topic, or just your opinion on John McCain BH?

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If I wanted a racist, womanizing, insensitive, tactless person for a president, I would vote for John McCain.

The issue that I see here is, we all tell jokes (OK, I can't speak for us all, but I think many of us do) that are politically incorrect at times. And I'm the LAST person to toe the PC line. But there are jokes I would tell in the privacy of my home that I wouldn't tell in a restaurant where everyone could hear me. It's not that I'm dishonest or politically correct, I just know that my husband (who I tell the joke to) is going to understand that it's a joke and that I really don't feel that way.
Do you really believe the Iranians fear John McCain wil kill them all off with cigarettes? I doubt it.. It's just an opportunity for them and others to be indignant over a stupid, offhand remark..

I think people in the public eye, ESPECIALLY a person running for presidency, should have the judgment to realize that he may offend someone with these insensitive personal jokes. Chelsea Clinton was an 18-year-old girl! What kind of jerk tells a joke about such a vulnerable person being ugly, that will be heard nationally? Where is the judgment there?
What about Barack Obama describing a whole segment of the population as "bitter working class voters who "cling to guns or religion" ? I guess no one should find that comment offensive..
I'm all for freedom of speech and I support McCain's freedom to joke about any race, gender, country he wishes. But it makes me seriously question his judgment.

His comments were off-color, but everyone puts their foot in their mouth ocassionally, even John McCain BH.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
What about Barack Obama describing a whole segment of the population as "bitter working class voters who "cling to guns or religion" ? I guess no one should find that comment offensive..

Well if they do maybe they should post it in a thread about Obama, plenty of them out there. This thread is about mcCain, thus it's off topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Well if they do maybe they should post it in a thread about Obama, plenty of them out there. This thread is about mcCain, thus it's off topic.

I'm sorry if you believe my post was off topic, but I think I did address John McCain's off-color comments in my post as well. Are we only permitted to make rebuttals in candidate specific posts now?

new topics

top topics

join