It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real key to long life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2305005/Smoker-who-has-10-cigars-a-day-celebrates-his-100th-birthday.html[/url]

A smoker who has 10 cigars day and enjoys a whisky with his morning tea has celebrated his 100th birthday.

Some people just have good genes i guess...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Some people just have good genes i guess...

I'd like to have a guess if I may. Genetic predisposition is really overestimated if you ask me. It's just an excuse for people to be lazy and not take responsibility for their own health by saying, "Diabetes is in my genes so, I guess, there's nothing I can do about it. Could you pass the chocolate cake please?
"

When scientists, and people in general really, were curious as to what these centenarians had in common. What made them live so long? Maybe it was low cholesterol? Do they exercise a lot? The longest recorded known person to live died at the age of 122. She smoked and drank her whole life.?.?.? So it's not a clean lifestyle either. Could it be that they are just nice, easy going, happy people?

Well that's not it either. What researchers are finding is that this group of special people have pretty much one common denominator. They all have relatively low insulin and blood sugar levels.

I know, who'da thunk? So, to learn from these people, we must eat low carbohydrate diets in order to keep insulin sensitivity high. It's really not much of a secret.

-Dev

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Could it be that they are just nice, easy going, happy people?

Actually, I tend to think that this may be the real reason. If researchers have found a common link between longevity and low sugar/insulin, could not the low sugar/insulin levels be attributable to an easy-going demeanor? Researchers are also finding out that mental disposition tends to have wide-ranging effects on body chemistry.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
That is a good point! Those mental dispositions have an effect on hormones to be exact. And considering that insulin is a hormone, I would say it merits further investigation.

However, we do know that eating carbohydrates raises blood sugar levels which in turn signals your pancreas to release insulin to lower blood sugar back to normal levels. Americans in general eat so many processed and starchy carbs(i.e.; bread, pasta, sugar), that our body is constantly producing insulin to counteract our high blood sugar levels.

The problem is, due to the constant presence of insulin in the bloodstream, your cells start to become become resistant. Insulin Resistance; Syndrome X. So as a result the body has to produce more insulin to do it's job.

These high insulin levels have been correlated with most of the major preventable diseases.

-Dev

[edit on 18-7-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
As Li Ching Yun once said !

Keep a quiet heart, sit like a tortoise, walk sprightly like a pigeon and sleep like a dog" - and apparently, he followed his own advice, because Li died at a ripe old age of 256!

He beleived he was born in 1736 from what he can remember and had lived what he beleived from memory was 197 years.

However a professor called Wu Chung-chien, found records “proving” that Li was born in 1677. Records allegedly showed that the Imperial Chinese Government congratulated him on his 150th and 200th Birthdays.

Beat that.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 18-7-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The secret to a long life, is to have a good sweat over a live corpse every day.

new topics

top topics

join