It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Hearing To Examine 'Bush Imperial Presidency'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Congressional Hearing To Examine 'Bush Imperial Presidency'

rawstory.com

In a release Thursday, House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) announced he will hold a hearing July 25 examining "the imperial presidency of George W. Bush and possible legal responses."

The word "impeachment" was not mentioned in the announcement, but it appears the hearing is going to examine issues raised by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) in his resolution to impeach Bush.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well, I'm not going to get my hopes up that this will be anything but more blustering from an ever worthless political system. But the fact that some of the party members seem to be breaking rank is at least a slightly positive sign. And at least Conyers called this presidency for what it is-IMPERIALISTIC.

Now as to whether anything other than talk will come of this remains to be seen, as all these "partners in crime" congressional leaders are afraid to take down these folks, because they're guilty of all the same things!

Conyers did not say who would testify at the hearing, but he laid out a variety of abuses that would be examined, including:

(1) improper politicization of the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorneys offices, including potential misuse of authority with regard to election and voting controversies;

(2) misuse of executive branch authority and the adoption and implementation of the so-called unitary executive theory, including in the areas of presidential signing statements and regulatory authority;

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
And a new TWIST is added into this, that could be VERY interesting...Who is this "Foreign Leader" that wants to speak at the hearings? Someone who's country has been victimized by this admin perhaps?

Kucinich Says 'Unidentified Foreign Official' Wants To Speak At Impeachment Talks

No matter how the eventual hearing is framed, Kucinich said he would like to be joined at the witness table by a foreign official he would not name.

“I’ve been contacted by representatives of a U.S. ally who are seeking an opportunity to appear before the Judiciary Committee,” he said in an interview.

“Legislative leaders of a foreign capital” have a “new angle that I haven’t thought of before but is relevant,” he said. “This interest in whether we’ve been told the truth has extended to other countries.”

Full Article:

www.cqpolitics.com...

[edit on 17-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ooooooo- intriguing. Like you, I don't want to get my hopes up, but I do think that it is a positive step- at least on the surface.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
wow ho would that us ally be?????

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by slayerfan

Right? It very much feels like we are awaiting a juicy plot twist, and perhaps we are. Ooooooo. I can almost hear the climatic music!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Yeah very interesting, I'll be tuning in to see who turns up. I wonder when he talks about being 'told the truth'. There seems to be a lot of such talk in the Japanese parliament lately, so I'd put odds on Canada then Japan.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I would love to see Rep Kucinich pull a rabbit out of his hat!!

Like most of you I will remain guarded but hopeful that justice will somehow be served!!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Yeah very interesting, I'll be tuning in to see who turns up. I wonder when he talks about being 'told the truth'. There seems to be a lot of such talk in the Japanese parliament lately, so I'd put odds on Canada then Japan.

This Canadian Parliament is not going to breath a word of dissent to the current US admin. Steven Harper's Conservative's rode in on the coattails of Bush, seems to believe in everything he stands for and is enjoying the NAFTA success here in Canada.
Unless it's Libby Davies' recent public announcement:
ATS thread

But I doubt a judicial hearing would put much weight on an opposition members opinion.

I truly hope something comes of this and Bush et al are hauled into account for the absolutely unneccessary and illegal actions that have caused the deaths of millions of innocents and the demise of the American Empire.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by slayerfan

Hmmm....It was mentioned that the dignitary coming would be an ally...

It wouldn't surprise me if he comes from the UK. After all, the UK still could regret the fact that the US became politically independent over 200 years ago. Even though the UK regained economic control of the US through the adoption of the Federal Reserve Bank (most of those banks in the cartel are English, a few from other European countries & almost none are American-originated), and still politically allied...

Overall, it might just be that the UK wants to chide us because they regret the monster-conquistador that the US has grown into...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
As allies go, we have many that qualify, at least in name.

Japan has been very vocal about this administration, Italy too. The list goes on and on actually, as the 9/11 'cause de jour' has made its rounds around the globe.

But substantive testimony isn't what we should expect. Perhaps more along the lines of 'informed' speculation.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Am I the only one that thinks that something fishy is going on? It took congress 7 years or so to realize that George W Bush was committing war-crimes and they're just doing something about it now?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I only hope that this pans out. I have sent Mr. Kucinich a personal email about how I truly respect what he has done. Even if he is not always right, or to be better put, not always on the same page as I am, he has shown true grit and guts. I gave him praise for that and told him how many people support his efforts.

I recently moved to Ohio and was pleasantly surprised to find that he was a Rep. from here. I never really paid attention to those details. Just the ones regarding his actions.

Let's hope this doesn't get shoved aside by the repubs and dems that are in the Feds pockets.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Double post. ?

[edit on 18-7-2008 by dariousg]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

If you look into it you will see that Mr. Kucinich has actually been pushing these type of things to the forefront for at least 3 years. Probably longer now that I think about it.

He was in on the 'secret' meeting that took place in Congress after 911 that was presented by a 'member of this administration' as he put it. He was sworn to secrecy about what was discussed. He said he sold his soul when he signed that and it is why he no longer attends any 'secret' meetings of Congress.

So, it hasn't actually been 7 years. Don't you recall the articles of impeachment he brought up against Cheney last year? He has been trying for a long time. I just think that either a) other members of Congress are seeing the light, or b) the powers that be realize that it doesn't matter. It's too late so they are allowing for these arguments to actually be brought forth.

Anyway, thought I would point that out since you had a very valid question.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Am I the only one that thinks that something fishy is going on? It took congress 7 years or so to realize that George W Bush was committing war-crimes and they're just doing something about it now?

Maybe they had to wait for the public tide to turn and the "you're either with us, or against us and support terrorism" conformity to die down before they thought it was safe to act?

Or maybe they are riding the wave of conformity and turning against the president because they see the public doing it.

You make a great point.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I think that what you're seeing has two possible reasons for taking so long to finally come to the forefront:

1.Many (if not MOST) of these congressmen are guilty of the same crimes that the admin is, having signed off on orders and bills that were ILLEGAL. So they have been afraid to hold the admin accountable, because they were co-conspirators in these crimes.

2.Most likely the reason that they are at least "going through the motions" here is that Congress' approval rating is virtually the lowest it has ever been in history-The public is becoming increasingly enraged at this transparent lawlessness and unaccountability that seems to have been in perpetual motion for the past several years. These people have all helped BANKRUPT this nation, while sitting their own butts in the lap of luxury and profiteering directly off of many of these ventures that have help created financial destruction of our infrastructure. It has become so glaringly obvious how corrupt they all have been that they know everyone can see it, and people are having no choice but to get pissed about it, as it is effecting EVERYONE, save for the super elite.

So they know that if they don't at least put on their little dog and pony show and act like they have some sort of oversight (which is a joke anymore), then they are looking at a possible mass uprising and anarchy. lol

[edit on 18-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

If you look into it you will see that Mr. Kucinich has actually been pushing these type of things to the forefront for at least 3 years. Probably longer now that I think about it.

He was in on the 'secret' meeting that took place in Congress after 911 that was presented by a 'member of this administration' as he put it. He was sworn to secrecy about what was discussed. He said he sold his soul when he signed that and it is why he no longer attends any 'secret' meetings of Congress.

So, it hasn't actually been 7 years. Don't you recall the articles of impeachment he brought up against Cheney last year? He has been trying for a long time. I just think that either a) other members of Congress are seeing the light, or b) the powers that be realize that it doesn't matter. It's too late so they are allowing for these arguments to actually be brought forth.

Anyway, thought I would point that out since you had a very valid question.

Or is it that the ''Rats are leaving the sinking ship''- Ref: Possible War Crimes Charges.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I suspect that fear is our enemy. I think it was fear that drove these 'representatives' [choke] to comply implicitly with the administration was fear. Perhaps all the internal spying and backstabbing finally got to the point where everybody has dirt on everybody. There could be many scenarios where they would fear to act, fear of the party, fear of the repercussions to an esteemed colleague(s), fear of embarrassment. There have been a substantial number of rumors regarding the hedonistic gatherings of these 'important people'. We could trod down that path and find some tantalizing clue...,

But in the end, we are here. A nation with the wind knocked out of her, 'sucker punched' and wobbling. We definitely need to stand firm and be willing to say 'No!' to the next 'solution' that comes along. I fear we have been utterly betrayed and the Administration (regardless of presiding party) along with it's lapdogs the DHS and the Judiciary are going to 'take the money and run!' so to speak.

President Bush's commitments on behalf of the American people MUST be invalidated and restated, or we are totally screwed. We need to demand adherence to Executive Order No. 11110! A standing presidential order conveniently 'ignored' by past administrations. We need to reinvent The United States of America as a standing entity, with no rights other than what 'we' the citizens give her. Eliminate the corporate citizen, demand a reseating of Congress and the Supreme Court. Revoke the Fed charter and call for an international court to investigate the processes and actions of the IMF, ISB, and the World Bank. Locate and return all American gold taken under false pretenses. Prosecute the enablers. Establish a new "International Human Rights Commission", distance ourselves from both the UN and GATT. Remove the UCC as an 'option' for civil legal proceedings.

All I'm asking for is a complete economic revolution, one where we don't lose!

Always keep the memory alive - "Our rights are inalienable!"

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just how sworn to secrecy is he? His duty to serve the country outweighs any duty to keep the secrets of its Imperialist master.

I understand that there might be legal repercussions, but who would dare prosecute him if he'd just brought down a president?

[edit on 18-7-2008 by mattifikation]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join