It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you turn a friend or relative in to law enforcement?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's not any of my business. How do you know the so-called victims didn't have it coming? Just because someone is weaker than their opponent does not mean the stronger side is wrong. The only wrong thing is to interfere with others' affairs.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

So when someone does something to you or your family etc, like raping and killing you all, even the kids, we should all sit back and watch the show?

And it would be wrong to stop it?

[edit on 18-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well, I haven't turned a family member or friend in yet.....lol Like the others said, if it's something small then I feel that it's something that they will have to live with and deal with themselves....UNLESS it directly affects my own family, their well-being is of course my first priority.

If it was a violent crime, yes I would turn them in.

With that said, I found out that my, now teenager, had stolen a ring from a department store. We marched her right back to the store to accept the responsibility. She was scared and worried that she would be carted off to jail and we made sure that she realized that that was a possibility. Now, what she didn't realize is that my husband had gone to the store and spoke with the manager about how to handle it...she was very nice but very firm with my kid. I couldn't go with them because I couldn't quit bawling my eyes out long enough. Kids do stupid things, but I can almost guarantee that that is one thing she won't do again.

Originally posted by scientist
i would NOT turn a friend in. Although, depending on how heinous the act I may not consider them a friend after that point.

It has nothing to do with "snitching," it has everything to do with having the sheep herd themselves, pretending to be wolves. Screw that! :bash:

But what if it WAS a violent act. Would you turn them in if there was any chance at all that they could or would hurt someone else?

Rush

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

So when someone does something to you or your family etc, like raping and killing you all, even the kids, we should all sit back and watch the show?

Sure. If they don't take the necessary precautions to avoid being taken advantage of they deserve it. You don't have a right to safety.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.............................................................

Well good night.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise
Sure. If they don't take the necessary precautions to avoid being taken advantage of they deserve it. You don't have a right to safety.

You are completely wrong. We do have a right to safety. I'm going to step out on a limb here to say they you were the typical playground bully who picked on kids who were 1) smaller than you and 2) couldn't defend themselves. And I'm going out on another limb to say that you apparently haven't grown out of that mentality.

Rush

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Somewhere, someday, there is someone waiting in a dark alley for you just to prove your point. Don't bother screaming for help.
What you put out there in the world comes back to you tenfold.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Only if you subscribe to a victim's mentality.

The way the world really works is quite the opposite. Only the vicious are rewarded, and those who go around trying to be selfless are only taken advantage of and abused. All one needs to do to guarantee happiness is to only think of oneself and take every available opportunity to prey upon others.

And if some fool does come after me in a back alley or whatever, bon chance to 'em. I pack heat.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The question was would you turn in a friend or family member. We're not talking about some random person off the street.

NO, I would not turn in a family member or a friend.

Yes, I would call the police if I saw someone being raped, robbed or being abused. I would also take action against the person committing the crime.

Fortunately, I have no family members that are criminal minded and would not have a friend that was a thief or one inclined to abuse people.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If it's a crime that can only hurt the person committing it, then I would not turn them in. For example, crimes like underage drinking and drug use would not be reported.

If it were something like drunk driving... If they made it home safely, and nobody got hurt, then I wouldn't report that they had done it. If there was some kind of accident, I am not going to cover for them and I am going to tell the truth.

Other stuff... I will turn them in. I don't care who they are. They are a common criminal, just like all the other common criminals.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I would turn a friend into the police if I thought they had completely lost their mind and were intent on killing someone unjustifiably. I would also turn them in if I thought they were suicidal.

If they (or a family member) had a good reason (a pedophile raped their child for instance) for needing to kill someone and they did it, I would say nothing. I would not help them do it, but I would never, ever say a word. I would hope they would not tell me, and leave me out of it entirely.

I have a bit of a law of the jungle streak in me. I am not for gangs of vigilantes
roaming the streets, but if an individual commits a serious crime against another individual I feel the victim or their immediate family has some right to recourse against them.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I turned my grandma in for steeling the neighbors waterhose

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Rule #1.
Don't carry a weapon that could be used against you.

Rule #2.
Karmic debt is a biotch.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have to admit I'm a little surprised by the amount of people who would (or already did) turn in family and friends. There are people on this site looking for groups of "like-minded" people they can trust with their lives in situation X who will watch their backs when it counts.

When it's against the law to own a gun, will you turn yourself in? Or your dad? When it becomes illegal to be a Christian will you turn in your neighbor or sister? When freedom of speech is outlawed entirely and everyone is expected to get in line and do as they're told, will you all start currying for favor with the gestapos or fearing that your gas ration card will be removed? What if we come under Sharia law and the penalty for almost everything is death? No exceptions.

Jeez!

I cut ties long ago with the family members who were diametrically opposite to my value system. Sad, but true that you can't pick your family. You can and do, however, pick your friends. What a loyal bunch.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I disagree with you dispise on the theory that only the vicious get rewarded. I have seen vicious people dig their own grave with their viciousness.

Vicious people lose friends, family, jobs etc because of their viciousness. Just ask my brother in law!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join