It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Midwest Animal Shelters Fill With Homeless Pets Victimized by Foreclosure Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Midwest Animal Shelters Fill With Homeless Pets Victimized by Foreclosure Crisis

www.foxnews.com

In yet another sign of the foreclosure mess, animal shelters in the Midwest are filling up with thousands of pets suddenly without homes.

Take the Golden Valley-based shelter system run by the Animal Human Society. It's become a magnet for animals from the Upper Midwest, where smaller shelters are often overcrowded.

Society officials say their five metro-area shelters have taken in nearly 18,000 animals this year, up 7 percent from last year. At the same time, adoptions have fallen by almost 3 percent.

And it's not just dog and cats.

An official says in recent months they have been getting more inquiries from hobby farm owners who can't afford their horses and donkeys.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Black Monday - Foreclosure Apocalypse?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Say goodbye to Skippy kids, there is no room for him to live in the car with us.

Sign of the times?

Or just more victims of financial institutions attempting to leverage a government bail out?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Damn, this crisis hits all across the board.
Never considered any other animals suffering from our finical troubles but us.

Poor Fido.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ahh the poor animals. I wish i could take care of them all. I guess i will have to go to my local animal sheltar and finally get a dog. I feel sorry for animals.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
In this case, the most humane solution is to put the animals down, once they have been left at the shelter. Keeping them longer than necessary will be a financial burden upon the shelters. The world doesn't have endless resources to support homeless cats and dogs.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Oh no, crisis! Just dispose of them all.

If you can't take care of your pet, you should be put down too though.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I say we use them to feed the homeless. Sesame kitty, "Beefcake" and Broccoli, Pork "Fido" Rice.

I posted an article along similar lines as this proposal a while back...

Poverty does indeed have a cure/A Modest Proposal

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

If you can't take care of your pet, you should be put down too though.

You certainly must read the proposal presented that I just linked to above. It's right up your alley.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I say we use them to feed the homeless.

At the very least, the dead cat and dog meat could be used to feed carnivores in zoos.

Waste minimisation and recycling, if you will!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

As much as it is wrong for those animals to be left like that...I have to agree with you! The last moments of life for anything should not be in a cage, but what we do to the world we do to ourselves.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I say we use them to feed the homeless. Sesame kitty, "Beefcake" and Broccoli, Pork "Fido" Rice.

Yuck... In this case many of the pet owners are the homeless, so perhaps there could be a way for these families to recycle their own pets?

Maybe the govt. could set up places where the animals could be euthanized, gutted, skinned and cooked to order for the homeless?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

How often do you get to say that in a thread? Not enough.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have ate both dog meat and cat meat, it's pretty good really. However I can't see how anyone could't feed thier cats,dogs ore even horses. Buyable petfood is a fairly recent way of feeding animals anyway. Are people oblivious that cats can hunt thier own food, dogs can eat people food scraps and you can grow hay?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

It's not jsut the feeding of the pets that's a problem. I had to abandon my cat when I lost my place. Not because I couldn't feed her, but because I couldn't bring her with me to the places where I was headed. Dogs are even more difficult when you are homeless. You don't want to attract attention to yourself when you are homeless, with a barking dog.

By the way, it still tears me up that I had to leave my cat. I miss her very much.

new topics

top topics

join