It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census won't count gay marriages in 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Census won't count gay marriages in 2010

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - Same-sex marriage is legal in two states, but not a single one will show up in the 2010 census.

The Census Bureau says the federal Defense of Marriage Act bars the agency from recognizing gay marriages in the nation's 10-year count, even though the marriages are legal in Massachusetts and California.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There you have it in black and white, if you are gay, married and American, you don't count!

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It saddens me that this country is still so squeamish about gay relationships. It's hard to be gay in the US these days. It is getting better, but the US has a long way to go in its attitude to gay people. Europe is much better when it comes to letting people just live their lives regardless of their sexuality. I will be moving there in the next year and one of the reasons is the gay issue. I am gay and I am an American. Sad that my country doesn't recognize me or validate me.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The Constitution requires a count of the people be held every 10 years for representation purposes.

The Constitution does not require a count of number of families, or anything else.

Anything else they try to count is wasting tax dollars.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Ah, so by not counting gays we are actually saving money?

What would the savings be is we don't count blacks, Jews, Latinos, republicans and transsexuals?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
reply to post by RRconservative

Ah, so by not counting gays we are actually saving money?

What would the savings be is we don't count blacks, Jews, Latinos, republicans and transsexuals?

The census is required by the Constitution. The census is a counting of the population.

Show me in the Constitution where it requires a breakdown of the population. You can't, because it doesn't require it. If the Census bureau is using tax payer dollars to do breakdowns of any sort it is wasteful spending and needs to be eliminated.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012

There you have it in black and white, if you are gay, married and American, you don't count!

www.msnbc.msn.com

It's not that 'you' don't count; it's that your 'marriage' doesn't count. The census is a federal matter and as these 'marriages' were deemed legitimate by the states of Mass and CA and not the federal government, they are inadmissible.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of this marriage is defined as "one man and one woman" bologne.

Marriage was never defined as one man and one woman, through out history. If anything, it's been everything from one man and multiple woman, one man and one woman and a concubine, one woman and many men, man and man, and woman and woman.

For a nation of so called Christian "values" they forget that God allowed polygamy in the Bible. King Solomon had hundreds of wives, Abraham had two wives, Jesus's disciples had more than one wife, and the list goes on.

Even in nature, animals have more than one companion, which deems it natural. If humanity wants to survive, they need to stop making up their own rules that limits its evolution and start accepting one another.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This thread could get confusing. Gay Marriage and the Census. 2 things that absolutely have nothing to do with each other.

Once again the Census, according to the Constitution, is a count of the people to determine proper representation.

Nothing more.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
From some (moderately successful) searching into my personal family tree, I have seen some old census records from the early 1800s. None of them even counted marriage at all. They divided people by address, I suppose in some attempt to manage the vast amount of information.

We have to interpolate who was married to whom. The census records will list an address, and the name, race, gender of everyone living there, occasionally some other data like profession. None of the older records recognized marriage at all.

What really sucks is when there was an older brother who was head of household, with his wife and his sister, about the same age, both living there. That was common at one time, and it makes it hard to realize just who was married to who...

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join