It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man's beating shakes up hippie haven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Homeless man's beating shakes up hippie haven

www.cnn.com

Six young people -- including two juveniles -- allegedly attacked and stabbed Green with a viciousness that is forcing Bolinas to search its soul for meaning.

The other day, fresh out of the hospital, Green was spotted back in town. (He proved elusive, always a step ahead of visitors trying to find him.) Many folks weren't happy to see him.

The attack underscores what advocates for homeless people say is a growing problem across the country: attacks on society's most vulnerable members, almost as sport, especially by young people.

"I'm not surprised that an incident like this happened in Bolinas," said Michael Stoops, executive director of the National Coalition for the Homeless. "We have found that these kinds of incidences happen everywhere. There was an incident just last month in Cleveland. It's no longer a big city thing."

The typical attack involves a mob of youths that beats a homeless person with blunt objects, sometimes setting the person on fire, Stoops said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm still in awe that anyone would do this.

Time to pull the face curtain.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This has been going on for a long time. I remember my college roommate telling me that he and his friends used to go into Philadelphia on friday nights and "roll the bums". Of course I had no idea what this was until he explained that they basically surrounded a homeless person, kicked and punched them until they were unconscious and robbed them. I'm as horrified now as I was then, but I don't think this is a new problem...it was almost 15 years ago when he told me that.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
lost in the finger pointing and justifications is the sentence:

Green confronted a group of drunken teens... by all accounts

which means the dude was attacking (verbally or physically)
a group of disinterested youths...
He is not the Judge or/and Jury... now i admit the group may have went overboard... but at the time the incident did not start out as a debate or
a cacus event --- come prepared or shut the mouth is my take on the incident Mr. Green created/instigated !!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Speaking as an English prof., the word "confront" means "to face." It's generally used to describe a verbal exchange. It's something of a stretch to infer the man attacked the youths physcially or actually abused them in any way. Even if he was abusive in his speech, he was only one and they were many. There's no excuse for what they did.

Talk about blaming the victim.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Blame A Clockwork Orange. One liner.

new topics

top topics

join