It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-Haired Boy Denied Entry Into Kindergarten

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I completely agree with you that a child's right to education should trump that of the school board's wishes to keep him out due to the length of his hair. As I said...it was that way in my school and I hated it. I always tried to break those rules when I could, but it never went far. I am actually one of those that strongly opposes the conformity schools push on the children. I am just saying that there shouldn't be exceptions to the rule for certain people. Either abolish the rule or uphold it. Those are the only two choices in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yea this is pure stupidity. All my teen years to late 30's I had very long hair and was constantly ridiculed for it. Even though it was nicer than most womens. There is absolutely no valid reason why a male cannot wear long hair other than ignorance. It is a complete lack of respect IMO towards someone who wishes to appear however they are most comfortable.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
Just and update, the news sorry was 2 days old when I posted it. Turns out on wensday the school board voted unanimously to uphold an earlier decision made by district administrators to not let the boy start school.

That is complete and utter nonsense, and a complete disregard for these peoples rights. They should sue the school board and if that fails go higher and higher all the way up to the supreme court if need be, i hope they stand their ground and refuse to give in to these people. In the meantime home school their child if possible, he'll probably get a better education at home anyway.

[ edited to add the following ]

It says that they have this strict policy about boys not having long hair, seems to me that that could also be grounds for sexual discrimination. Do their rules also state that girls must have long hair, because if their saying that boys should have short hair, then by those standards the girls should have long hair.

If a female student wanted to attend school with a short haircut that is thought of as a masculine hairstyle, like a crewcut, or if she wanted to be bald, would they stop her from going to school?

[edit on 18/7/08 by chise61]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanitys Last Day

The rule should IMO be abolished, however it doesn't seem like that will happen any time soon.

I truely understand your opinion about the rules applying to everyone, however in this case i think they do need to make an exception if they are not going to change the rule. Indian men have always had long hair, it is their way of life, a big part of their heritage, culture, and identity. This is not a fad, or fashion statement to them, it is a way of life.

I doubt if it was a muslim girl that the school board would refuse to let her attend school wearing (i'm sorry i don't know what it's called) what they wear to keep their heads covered.

I'd be interested to know if the school staff and school board members have to follow the same dress codes that the students have to.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanitys Last Day

The problem here Sanity, is they are not making a rule for everyone. They are making a rule on a physical body part based on sex. If they rule was applied to both sexes , no hair longer then this.. Then at least I could say , they are fools, but not hypocrites. In this case they are hypocrites

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
It's just a control measure.

Like lots of private christian schools make boys have short hair and shave, but if Jesus returned, I doubt they'd have the balls to tell him to.

[edit on 17/7/08 by NuclearPaul]

Nice one.
Yeah I don't know why people pick so many fights, it's just hair, it's not anything horrible although they make it seem that way.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That's ridiculous!

I recall being in jr high and there was a Native American guy at school who had the most gorgeous waist-length hair. He never braided it. But all of us girls just adored him because he had great hair.

No reason to make the kid cut his hair. As long as it's clean, tidy and out of his eyes, who cares how long it is?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The sad thing is, business, including skills, wants everything too tidy an neat. yet, its ok for them , to hire teachers who will have sex with the kids, were extremely short dresses, and no bras. Remember that woman years ago, ahd sex with that 13 year old boy, then had his kid? Their was another incident as well. Ive seen teachers today, and it seems alot of female women, are dressing provocative, or something on the order of a stripper. I dnt mean to sound sexits, its just common amngst female teachers. my point is, long hair is no good, but promoting sex and flaunting it at schools is wrong. How the hell is the kid gunna learn, i mean really.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I hope they get a good lawyer an sue I have long hair and I know there are people who live to try an make me cut it.I keep it in a pony tail so its not a safety issue I have a friend that sued a big oil co. for making him cut his hair so I know what I can get away with but a privet school Im not sure?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
i cant believe this is going on in 2008.

hey, I want an avatar just like DJMessiah and Cyprex, where
do I get one too

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Good find. I have had long hair many times throughout my life and if this ever happened to me I would be ticked. They have no right to stop this young lad from going to kindergarten because of long hair wether or not it has to do with any tradition.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
My question is why is school starting so early? I remember school not starting till like august, and later august at that. Weird. Oh and the school board sucks with their decision.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
this reminds me of something. let me think. oh yeah. the nazis in pre wwii germany. a totally ridiculous attempt at control. i hope they fight hard and win.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wow, this is regression. This remind anybody else of Easy Rider? What's next, they gonna shoot the kid 'cause he's different?

Easy Rider clip

And to all the people saying that private school is better than public trust me, I've been to both and you have MANY more freedoms in public school. Just seems that this county is a little slow on the times. I encourage anybody faced with this issue to fight it.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by krestan

I see that you're a fan of Doctor Who as well...
Gasmasks freak me out now!

On topic:
I think this was an interesting read:
www.choisser.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join