It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE CHEESEBURGER BILL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
�Cheeseburger bill� may curb beefs in court

Proposal aims to prevent Americans from suing fast-food chains for making them obese

By JUDY HOLLAND

Hearst Newspapers

WASHINGTON � Congress is poised to tell fat Americans: You are what you eat, and that�s your fault � you can�t blame the fast-food industry.

The issue of obesity will loom larger than life on Capitol Hill this week with the House expected to approve the so-called �cheeseburger bill,� which would prevent Americans from suing fast-food giants such as McDonald�s for making them overweight.

www.thestate.com...

WTF?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's about time the govt cracks down on BS lawsuits. This country has become so damn greedy that they sue over the dumbest things, and tie up tax payer money in court rooms while doing so.

It's just as bad suing McD's for being fat as the broad that sued the funiture store when she broke her leg tripping over an out of control toddler. The jury awarded her money (in the thousands of dollars) and the kids was HER OWN.

It's nice to see the govt actually THINKING for once like they are intended to do. The unfortunate thing, however, is that our countries citizens have come so low as to make the govt HAVE to pass laws like this.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by ImAlreadyPsycho]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Good to hear something is being done about useless lawsuits that just waste time. Take some responsiblity for yourself people.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
99.9% of them are BS. It would be like one of us attempting to sue ATS for carpal tunnel syndrome, or eye damage . (please Mods it was an example, don't whack me)

Hang on someone named Guido wants to talk to me BRB

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
exactly....its all just BS....most of this you can blame on the trial lawyers, you know, the "personal injury" lawyers, the ones that have the 30 second commercial spots during The Jerry Springer Show....the only way these bastaards can make money is by suing people/companies and the best way to make more money is to go after the large companies, no matter how many times it takes...

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Im going to sue McDonalds too. Every time I see that fecking clown it makes me want to beat him to death with a baseball bat. It can't be good for my blood pressure. It should be worth a couple of million.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Its time people in this country stopped being lazy and greedy. People need to stop blaming everone else for their problems. It's getting insane what lawsuits are brought to court. The worst is either obesity lawsuits, or this lawsuit i heard about where a guy put his RV on cruise control, went back to watch TV or somthing, and went into a ditch... He got a new RV and millions of dollars. These lawsuits are costing honest corporations (woah... almost an oxymoron nowdays
) huge amounts of money and should be stopped.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
They chose to eat it. no one said they had to eat Mcdonalds every day.

CATFISH

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Catfish]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
But what if they discovered, I don't know, crack in the burgers. Then it would blow up as big as the tobacco lawsuits. Not that I'm saying there is crack in mcdonald's burgers, but hey, you never know...

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hey, yeah, crack in the burger. That's probably been done before. Recently someone tried to sue White Castle for snot or something in their food. Right. And, the famous rat in the KFC. People will try anything to collect $$ they haven't earned.
Too many lawyers...there should be a quota or something.

Netstorm~~you crack me up, carpal tunnel.
Hey, how about ulnar nerve compression, I really HAVE that....

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Hey, yeah, crack in the burger. That's probably been done before. Recently someone tried to sue White Castle for snot or something in their food. Right. And, the famous rat in the KFC. People will try anything to collect $$ they haven't earned.

I thought the rat in the KFC was a story Stories to Tell in the Dark. That adolescent ghost story book with the creepy pictures.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If I were a vindictive Republican I would have submitted a rider or two. Something like this;
All fried foods are illegal to eat unless you have a permit. There are government studies that show it's bad for your heart!

Raw seafood should be completely illegal since it scares some people and kills others. Hepatitis is nothing to sneeze at!

Any food that is cylindrical in shape must be registered with your local police. You might use it to hurt someone!!!(I'm not going into any details)

It would have been a good laugh anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Why a republican? Most republicans (and other sane people) I know would agree that if you eat mcdonalds, it's your responsibility.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
In response to the riders the democrats put on S.1805 last Tuesday. It was nearly the same thing except for gun manufacturers instead of McDonalds.
I'm happy about the bill passing but I wonder how much time they are going to spend in Washington passing a new law for each industry that makes something idiots can hurt themselves or others with. (sorry that was long
)
Are donut shops next? How about car manufacturers? Let's not forget about those evil folks at stanley tool making sharp pointy things.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I would be ashamed to make a lawsuit thats so ludicrous. I think America has gone sue-crazy.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
I would be ashamed to make a lawsuit thats so ludicrous. I think America has gone sue-crazy.

Goddess of truth, quite fitting.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by Fry2]

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
American's legal system is backed up and costing too much money, it is truly a shame that trial lawyers are willing to bring forth these kind of suits. Lawyers should be punished for bringing outrageous suits to trial.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
But it is not true. You will still be able to sue them and possibly win despite of cheeseburger bills.
They advertise products as safe and eatable what is obviously not true. If they will be obliged to follow tobacco guys and put sticker on diet coke that aspartame may kill you. Or modified corn, or wheat, or transf-at�s or thousands of other poisonous chemicals used to build plastic food.

Aspartame is one simple example how industry fighting to the death

Aspartame was not approved until 1981, in dry foods. For over eight years the FDA refused to approve it because of the seizures and brain tumors this drug produced in lab animals. The FDA continued to refuse to approve it until President Reagan took office (a friend of Searle) and fired the FDA Commissioner who wouldn't approve it. Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes was appointed as commissioner. Even then there was so much opposition to approval that a Board of Inquiry was set up. The Board said: "Do not approve aspartame". Dr. Hayes OVERRULED his own Board of Inquiry.[/qoute]

It is from the www.aspartame.com... site with following mission statement:

The purpose of this site is to encourage people consuming aspartame products and those suffering with any of the 92 symptoms of Aspartame Disease (FDA LIST)to take charge of their lives and take the Mission Possible 60 day-day no aspartame test to see if some if not all of their symptoms diminish or see if they just feel better. If they do, that's great, they now know the reason for their debilitating illnesses. If they decide that aspartame is not the problem, skeptics are welcome to go back to killing themselves. ---- webmaster

But make no mistake, typing www.aspartame.org...

The overwhelming body of scientific evidence clearly demonstrates that aspartame, even in amounts many times what people typically consume, is safe and not associated with adverse health effects. However, over the years, some consumers have reported symptoms, which they believed were associated with aspartame. The FDA has investigated these allegations and concluded that there is no "reasonable evidence of possible public health harm"

They are paid to kill YOU

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Poor McDonalds ...

NEWPORT NEWS - Katherine Ortega was looking forward to eating a chicken dinner after a family outing Tuesday night.

She ordered a box of fried wings from McDonald's and was putting them on plates for her two children when she found a chicken part that definitely wasn't a wing.

"I noticed that it had a beak and it had eyes," said Ortega. "I screamed." The unusual piece turned out to be a fried chicken head

And of course the obligatory ... Ortega isn't sure if she'll file a lawsuit. But she said that she contacted the FDA for advice on handling the incident.

click here for full story and picture

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
There is one thing that you are all overlooking...

You're giving immunity to a major corporation. This is a problem.

Now, let's say that this bill gets passed, McDonalds starts using more addictive stuff in their food, and actually do cause obesity...

then there's no way to sue them for it.

Fortunately, Business ethics, as they are, would prevent McDonalds from doing this without public knowledge. Plus, once people actually KNOW, then there's a good chance they won't eat there...

Just my $.02

top topics

<<   2 >>

join