It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic food industry could face downturn

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Yup, Dandelions are dandy. Make a fine wine too I hear. I've been making some nice mint sun-tea with leaves from a patch I found. There's some other herbs there too.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Organic food expensive? I’ve got the bottom of my fridge filled with organic potatoes, and all it cost me was $15 for seed potatoes and a little elbow grease. I lost maybe 20 spuds to blight due to not using chemicals, but I’ll be lucky to eat all that I’ve got before the fall crop comes in. I’ve also got about 100 ears of corn ready to harvest from $2.50 worth of heirloom seed. It’s field corn so it’s not the best eating, but is great for creaming or for flour. The melon, tomatoes and beans are coming along, and this is my first try. Join the fight against the war on food. Grow your own! It tastes better, and is better for you.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I have my all natural live organic whole food containing 176 nutrients on a daily bases. I mix it as a tasty drink and it cost me pennies on the dollar compared to buying organically grown food at an organic grown food store. Rik Riley

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

There is a potential to make a bussiness of installing gardens for people who want fresh home grown vegetables but do not have the time or the confidence to install a garden. People are realizing that the food sold in the stores is garbage. Even the lable organic may not mean much. The only real way to be certain of the quality of food is to plant a garden. Although you do not have a yard ,there may be a community garden club which you can join which will allow you to help plant vegetables and even partake of the harvest.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

There is a potential to make a bussiness of installing gardens for people who want fresh home grown vegetables but do not have the time or the confidence to install a garden.

Now THAT is an awesome idea!

A capitalist Johnny Appleseed.

[edit on 7/18/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown

There is a potential to make a business of installing gardens for people who want fresh home grown vegetables but do not have the time or the confidence to install a garden. People are realizing that the food sold in the stores is garbage. Even the lable organic may not mean much. The only real way to be certain of the quality of food is to plant a garden. Although you do not have a yard ,there may be a community garden club which you can join which will allow you to help plant vegetables and even partake of the harvest.

You are correct there is a business ready be tapped into by many millions of individuals. I have sold in the past a product I so named back in 1987 called Space Gardens and you could grow organically grown food on your apartment or home patio, deck, outside with sunlight or inside with a grow light. It stands 4 ft. tall and the base is 2 ft. square with 4 rollers on the bottom to move it wherever you wish. There are secrets inside the Space Garden to make vegetables grow twice as fast. I used the richest growing medium in the world that is found in one place on the planet and I have since found a backup that is almost as good in North America plus a natural product from an ancient seabed that is mined in one place on this Great Planet Earth.

You could grow in and on the outside of the Space Garden angled shelves equivalent to 100 square feet of garden space in 2 ft. square and 4 ft. tall. I will look to see if I still have the plans of the pyramid shaped Space Garden. The reason I picked the name Space Garden was because it was futuristic Space Age gardening in a limited space. Rik Riley

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

Sounds very cool. Do tell!
If everyone grows what they can, the war on food can be easily defeated.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistor

Sounds very cool. Do tell!
If everyone grows what they can, the war on food can be easily defeated.

First of all I started selling an organic growing unit that was in the shape of a cylinder with pop out windows and sold as many as I could get my hands on and this was years ago.

I am still looking for the design drawings for the 2nd unit I named and call Space Gardens and it was made of scrap redwood that is almost impossible to find and too expensive.

I believe Cypress can be substituted and other viable materials that I have been checking on about pricing. The overseas live growing medium might be to expensive to bring to the shores of the U.S. Plus trying to deal with the USDA with a live product is a pain when going thru customs. No it is not manure LOL. Like I have said, I have located a live growing medium in North America that will serve the purpose very adequately when it comes to a growing medium.

Water, no problem because the space garden is gravity fed and does not need small water pumps to feed the the root systems of the vegetable and fruit plants.

When it comes to growing potatoes all those used tires that are laying around stack them on top of one another and grow the potatoes in the dirt you pile up in the middle of the tires. Presto you will have gorgeous delicious home grown potatoes with out the hassle of digging and just remove the tires one at a time LOL. Rik Riley

[edit on 21-7-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Interesting stuff. You can probably expect lots of resistance from the apparatchiks since your idea goes against big ag.

I started to try the tire thing with my potatoes, but wanted to plant too many. Turns out they're not that hard to dig anyway. Good luck with your ideas.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join