It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington, D.C. ranks lowest for personal safety in the United States.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Now I'm not sure if I find this unusual or not but on this website:

channels.netscape.com.../bestqualityoflife/bestqualityoflife

It states our nations captial ranked lowest for personal safety. So if anyone want to shoot at a government official they'd have no problem doing.

Also, note that in the top 10 list of best places to live, not one American city except San Fransisco get mentioned.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The crime there is pretty bad. It's the most mind-boggling thing: the most beautiful, entertaining city on one hand, the most seedy and dangerous on the other hand.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
The crime there is pretty bad. It's the most mind-boggling thing: the most beautiful, entertaining city on one hand, the most seedy and dangerous on the other hand.

I agree, hard to understand. You would think HLS would start there, and make us safe

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah. For real.

The DC Sniper case really showcased how moronic the DC police are. I know there are probly some good officers, but by and large.. NOT. They need to clean house, man. The homelessness in DC is abysmal, too. Right there in the shadows of some of the world's most wealthy citizens.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yup, DC is a dump! But the Govt. district is not that bad. It's places like South East and Anacostia that are the worst. Alot of the govt officials live in suberban Virginia and Maryland. All they have to do is cross a bridge and they are right within walking distance to most Govt. buildings.The subway also has stops right next to most govt buildings also. Georgetown is not to bad either (part of DC) decent club scene, but nothing to brag about..

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

The DC Sniper case really showcased how moronic the DC police are. I know there are probly some good officers, but by and large.. NOT. They need to clean house, man. The homelessness in DC is abysmal, too. Right there in the shadows of some of the world's most wealthy citizens.

....you do realize that the "DC snipers" only had one shooting within District limits, right? That there was only one case that fell within MPDC jurisdiction?
Every other shooting was in Virginia or Maryland.

I'll concur that personal safety in DC is lacking, having lived there for a time, but don't go bashing the DC cops. They aren't morons. The people committing all the assaults and robberies and other crimes are the moronic ones.

-B.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I said they were not all bad.

The DC cops involved in the Sniper Case were complete dolts.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well, at least we know we have good shot on taking out the President and his staff.
Just kidding. I still find it odd that our nations capital is ranked low in personal saftey. Why? It's our nations capital for crying out loud!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I also have the privilige of knowing a few DC cops and they agree and admit that it (DC police force) is seriously currupt and a joke. NOt all officers but alot. I use to go clubbin with these guys and they'd use their badges to get in to clubs and drink for free. They also knowingly bought plenty of underage girls drinks. They are a joke. They use to be much worse tho.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Let's hope they clean up their act, eh?

D.C. should be America's model city.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Let's hope they clean up their act, eh?

D.C. should be America's model city.

Well, they've got some major work to do.

Most of the Govt buildings and such are guarded by govt police and capitol police. Those guys do a good job from what I've heard. The park police on the other hand I have heard that they were caught sleeping in their cars on Wash Monument while someone left a "suspicious Pacage" right next to the monument it's self for a long time

Then, there was the disturbing story uncovered by the House Homeland Security Committee: When inspectors testing the capabilities of the U.S. Park Police deliberately left a suspicious black bag on the grounds of the Washington Monument, the police failed to respond quickly or effectively. One officer reportedly was caught sleeping.
www.americanprogress.org...

The problem could be , so many different juristictions that they step on eachothers feet all the time. They may develop that "let the other guy take care of it" additude.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I visited D.C. many, many moons ago on a school trip.
Even back then, and at my young age, I noted the slums in the background. Here we have the nation's Capitol, surrounded by squalor, poverty and crime. Says a lot about our priorities.

My old supervisor knew sometone at a nearby military base. The people on base were told not to be on the streets of D.C. after dark.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I blame Marion Berry for this, once you go crack you never go back!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
I blame Marion Berry for this, once you go crack you never go back!

That there says alot for the city does it not? Then they re-elect him. Goes to show ya that anything is possible in America and truth is infact stranger than fiction.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Here we have the nation's Capitol, surrounded by squalor, poverty and crime. Says a lot about our priorities.

Yeah. It's pretty sad.

My old supervisor knew sometone at a nearby military base. The people on base were told not to be on the streets of D.C. after dark.

Depends on where you're at, really. And it definitely helps not to be alone after dark.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked

That there says alot for the city does it not? Then they re-elect him. Goes to show ya that anything is possible in America and truth is infact stranger than fiction.

I think its because all of the misfits flock to DC, people who love traffic, love 10 hour days, the people who wouldnt fit in a regular city they belong in DC and would have no problem with Tyrone Biggums as their mayor.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least. The whole population besides the criminals are easy targets. If I wanted to be a career criminal, Washington D.C. is the safest working environment I could ask for.
Gun control works...for criminals.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Its quite apparent that none of you have any idea what you're talking about being that I'm in DC right now. Look, DC is like any other city, congested at rush hour, busy , bustling, don't knock it. Its not a great city like Vegas but it ain't as bad as you "tourists" make it out either.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Honestly tho, I believe DC is nowhere close to as bad as Miami, parts of New York, New Orleans, Baltimore, Richmond, Atlanta, Chicaco.....

These cities dwarf DC in population so maybe the percapita is lower but I'd feel safer driving thru DC.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
UM......not a tourist dude.....
I grew up right next to the armpit and spent too much time in it's stench. I try to avoid it any way I can. It's not the worst but it sucks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join